Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm currently running a catless midpipe (AAM) and thinking of getting catless downpipes as well (and will do custom AP tune after) but am worried about backfire flames drawing unwanted (police) attention.

Does a good tune mitigate this issue? Is it easy enough to avoid backfiring when driving normally or perhaps only semi-aggressively?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
only way your going to be backfiring flames is if your Wide open throttle long enough to generate a bunch of heat, so a long pull in 3rd or 4th, past the cop wide open throttle and then letting off when you pass him and him being right behind you.. and it being dark out lol..

so .... if you plan on doing all that.. then you might not want to do the downpipes.

make sure you keep your blow off valves recirc'd or get a speed density thats usually what will cause the backfires most. also in the tune if your a little rich during deccel it will do it so.. it doesn't happen that often tho

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
With a stock cat back u will hear it pop but rarely would flames come out

+1 on Djreversal

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sweet, sounds like I'm going this route then! Good thing I got vent-to-atmosphere BOV out of my system during my Supra days -- no interest anymore haha.

I will also keep stock cat-back for the foreseeable future since it flows fine and the DBA tips are already pretty aggressive.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Probably 25-35 hp at least

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also noticed about 25-35 more with a catback.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is the smell factor if the tune is done well?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
U can always smell a Cattless car.. But u have to be standing behind it or have a breeze blowing from exhaust towards u kind of thing..

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think you have been watching a little too much Fast and the Furious.
Hey guys I'm currently running a catless midpipe (AAM) and thinking of getting catless downpipes as well (and will do custom AP tune after) but am worried about backfire flames drawing unwanted (police) attention.

Does a good tune mitigate this issue? Is it easy enough to avoid backfiring when driving normally or perhaps only semi-aggressively?
I think you have been watching a little too much Fast and the Furious.

·
Front Mount 2500 HP
3,696 Posts
I wish my car shot flames ... I am in the process of ordering a non res mid pipe and meisterchaft cat back exhaust. Is there any chance I will get some flames going off without a tune ?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've got full exhaust. Tune by Forged Performance. Downpipes, mid pipe, cat back, and I don't think I'm shooting flames.

If I am though, COOL!

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Flames!!!! Me want!! So in order to get flames front the unspent fuel, you need cat less downpipes right? Cause I have y-pipe and exhaust that is getting put on next couple of weeks along with a tune.

·
Registered
219 Posts
How is the smell factor if the tune is done well?
I DD my cat less GTR and while I run e85 from April through November, the other 4 months of the year I run 93-octane (cold starts and very inconsistent ethylene content). I gotta say, if I had to run 93-octane all year round... would NEVER do cat less again. The smell is that bad at stop lights and in heavy traffic.

E85 however is practically odorless.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.