Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2015 GTR premium that I purchased new. It is a daily driver. all 4 of my tires were chopped so bad by the time I had 6000 miles on it there was metal coming through on all of them. After a long fight with Nissan I was able to get them to warranty the tires. Now I have 12,000 miles and it has happened again. All four tires are chopped with metal showing through on the inside. Each time the car was brought in to the dealer they told me that it did not "pass" the alignment and showed me that it was always in the "red" They said that the car had been adjusted out as far as it could and it was considered "still within spec" for a GTR.

The car has not been tracked. I am worried that there is something wrong with the car. I do not want to put on a new set of tires that get torn up again within 6000 miles.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on what I should do?

·
gta88ws6
832 Posts
Yes, I just replaced the oem tires on my 2015 at 7000mi. They looked almost identical.

It's how the car is, it is normal for a GTR to eat tires that quick on even the "street" setting. Tires preserve setting might get you to 10,000 miles...

Don't worry there is nothing wrong with the car, your dealer is probably adjusting it to the oem track setting and making that setting as far as the Nissan book lets them...

It's just how these cars are and unless you get them to make the alignment less aggressive, less than the oem track setting threshold, it'll continue to eat tires every 6000-10,000mi.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm on the street setting and on factory dunlops with 5,000 miles and my tech said I have about 2k miles left before they need changing. The inner edge is worn down and it is common on every GTR. I'm switching to MPSS.

·
Knowledge is recession proof!
4,212 Posts
The factory suspension can be aligned into "street spec" which will prolong the life of the tires. I'd bring it to a place that can perform better alignments. This dealer of yours might not know how to do it properly.

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
I have the same camber wear on mine as well, daily-driven for just over 5K now. I had the alignment set to "street" at the 1K POS by the dealer, and then checked again at ~4K when the transmission was being replaced. I had another shop re-check the alignment afterwards, and they confirmed the front camber was maxed out at 1.5* negative (least aggressive), and it wasn't possible to reduce it any further w/o modifying the suspension.

·
gta88ws6
832 Posts
The factory suspension can be aligned into "street spec" which will prolong the life of the tires. I'd bring it to a place that can perform better alignments. This dealer of yours might not know how to do it properly.
OP--
Is your dealer GTR certified??

They should do what ever suspension setting you want and ask them for...

Long story short there is no canned or specific range for the settings for track, street or tire preserve. All there is in the Nissan Book for the GTR tech is a specified range, it is up to the tech to determine for him/herself what a track or street or tire save setting translates to on the alignment rack. the tech that did your alignment must not know or misinterpreted your concerns about tire wear or simply just is overly aggressive on the alignment settings they put on your car...

Have them knock it back to the tire preserve (least aggressive settings they can put on the car) but be aware that handling characteristics will diminish from what your used too...

Also get rid of the OEM runflats, they blow... Get something aftermarket that IS NOT a runflat and enjoy the ride and handling much more... See my post "Wider tires on oem rims" i just put continental extreme contact DW tires on, in a wider set up and absolutely love them so far! When it comes to worrying about having a flat sure you can get back home or to the dealer on a run flat in the event of a flat, but how long is the car going to be down while you wait for them to get a replacement tire (if they even have one in the shop) and put it on the car... No longer than not having a run flats and getting a new non runflat tire id wager to say...

·
R-35 2013 PREM
52 Posts
after several attempts by gtr certified tech to get my negative camber to street alignment, they had to install a camber kit to be able to get more positive camber. I had the tech take it to there owned ford dealership that apparently had a newer alignment rack that was able to demonstrate the accuracy of the new alignment before and after. apparently the adjustment to street is limited but maybe able to be accomplished.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
This doesn't look very good at all. That is too short of a time to have that kind of wear. I'm directing these comments not only to the OP, but to the others who've responded here and experienced the same. My 2013 had stock premium wheels and stock dunlop runflats. They looked like this only on one or two tires after over 14,000 miles! There's no way any of your tires should look like that after 5000-7000 miles...then again after another 5000-7000 miles. Camber isn't the only thing to check out spec wise, the toe is actually the main thing for inner or outer tire wear. As long as the camber is -1.5 to -1.8 and the toe is as close to 0 as possible.... say .03 to .06 ... There shouldn't be wear like this.

Now, what could've happened to all of you? It's very possible that the Nissan alignment machine isn't calibrated correctly. This wouldn't be as far of a long shot as you may think. All the Altimas, Sentras, Maximas, Muranos etc etc are used by that machine over and over again. So the alignment is probably not reading correctly, so they think they are aligning things correctly, when it's really way off.

Another possibility is that they just don't know what they're doing and are incompetent and/or lying about things.

As someone else said -2.0 to -2.2 camber or worse could cause this. Or more so the toe being off. In fact, a common misinterpretation is that the camber causes this wear, which really isn't even true. It's the toe. So, to the OP and others. Find out what the toe settings are and/or were on your cars and you'll get your answer. Inner tire wear occurs from toe out (vs toe in). Toe out is when The distance between the front of the tires is more than the distance between the rear of the tires.

Maybe Nissan just focused on the camber and didn't pay much attention to the toe? Who knows. Good luck to all, I suggest having Nissan or a reputable tire and alignment shop get your cars back in specs... Good luck everyone.

·
gta88ws6
832 Posts
Yea totally possible that the toe is excessive, dlad is right. Heavy camber and excessive toe will kill a tire quick!

In my instance I had two alignments done in that 7000mi I referenced so I know my toe was at almost zero the whole time.

Nissan has to have their alignment rack calibrations sent to Nissan hq once a year to maintain their gtr certification at whatever dealership, so says my gtr dealers service manager.

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 it's usually the -2.0 to -2.2 that causes excessive tire wear like this.
So the Dealership is certified. I was wrong in my initial post. This set of tires only has 4600 miles on them. Attached you will see the alignment reading that I got last time. It says failed but you can also see where they wrote "within specs" I had my first alignment done at 1000k as recommended and my second one at 6000k. This is from my 12,000 mile check.

I understand that the factory dunlops are soft and not that great especially for daily driving but the wear that I have it a bit excessive to say the least. My biggest concern is that If I pay to put a better tire on here and they go in the same amount of time I'm gonna be pissed. I am currently fighting with the hotline and the service manager at the dealership. They keep trying to blame the tires but it has something to do with the setup that is causing this to happen to the tires. Unfortunately they are not smart enough to understand this.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You have to much tow out on your alignment. Your camber won't cause your problem. For street use you should be towed in about a 1/16. For track use you should be out about 1/16 that will make you car turn in to the corner a little better but causes extra tire wear.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Your toe is Sooo out of whack and that is the reason for your tire wear issues.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
gta88ws6
832 Posts
Too much toe in for sure.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
In any case it's too much! Lol. If it was too much toe in then there would be wear on the outer edges of tires.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yup. As above. Too much toe. My factory run flats lasted 16k miles with probably another 3k in them with full street alignment.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have a 2015 GTR. I got 12k miles out of the first set of dunlop tires.

-The OEM dunlops dont have a good tread wear rating to begin with. So switching out to Dunlop all seasons or Michelin pilot super sports would help. They have a much longer tread wear rating. OEM Dunlop treadwear rating is 200 vs 240 for the Dunlop all seasons and 300 for the MPSS.

-As everyone else has stated, get the alignment properly done. Maybe your Nissan dealer just doesnt have the expertise to get you alignment set properly within GT-R "street" spec?

-tires just dont last long on the GTR. Its just naturally inherent to this car. Agressive suspension. Sticky tires. A heavy car to begin with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Too much toe in for sure.
So the dealership has been telling me that they cannot adjust it in any further. I told them the same thing that you have all said. You can see where they wrote "within spec" on the sheet. Is it time to drive 2 hours to a new dealer?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts