Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The weather in the DC area, while being a mild winter so far, has been wet and grimy. I think in the last month, month-and-a-half, I've only driven mine two or three times. Most often it is sitting in my garage, connected to a battery float charger. I drive an '09 Cadillac CTS-V as my DD, but with its white tricoat finish, every speck of dirt, road splash, etc., shows up on it. Hate it! It's been difficult to keep a clean car clear around here lately. Okay, enough of my rant.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The weather in the DC area, while being a mild winter so far, has been wet and grimy. I think in the last month, month-and-a-half, I've only driven mine two or three times. Most often it is sitting in my garage, connected to a battery float charger. I drive an '09 Cadillac CTS-V as my DD, but with its white tricoat finish, every speck of dirt, road splash, etc., shows up on it. Hate it! It's been difficult to keep a clean car clear around here lately. Okay, enough of my rant.
I got mine back in early December. I didn't drive it a lot in December but come January I started driving it a good bit. I live outside of Baltimore where we tend to get any snow that comes around. I do use it as my alternate (preferred) daily driver. I'd say I have been out 2-3 times every week since the beginning of the year. I haven't hit any rain yet (and certainly avoided any spec of snow we've had) and just gave it the first car wash (which it needed but more or less only because it is black, nothing to do with the weather).

My biggest complaint is the coating of salt on the roads. I think they are just trying to get rid of the excess they have in storage this year since it really hasn't done much. It'll be a couple of days before I get her out on the road this week. Now I'm looking for a good rain to wash the salt away.

Anyway, my point is that it might not be as bad as you think. Take her out an enjoy her.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm in Northern VA, I've managed 2-3 days a week driving my GT-R to work. It hasn't been as bad as some winters in the past.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Northern VA, I've managed 2-3 days a week driving my GT-R to work. It hasn't been as bad as some winters in the past.
True, not much snow this winter in the DC area, but it seems most times I've wanted to take my GT-R out, it's been raining. Lots of salt and chemicals on the road. My white tricoat CTS-V looks awful!

·
Another GT-R
253 Posts
True, not much snow this winter in the DC area, but it seems most times I've wanted to take my GT-R out, it's been raining. Lots of salt and chemicals on the road. My white tricoat CTS-V looks awful!
I'm definitely an advocate for keeping a clean car. However, I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to forego enjoying my car just so it sits clean ALL THE TIME. If you wash/detail your car then all dirt will come off. As long as you can avoid getting scratches and dings, and you wash/detail your car, then just drive it whenever. At the end of the day it's a car and cars are meant to be driven.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm definitely an advocate for keeping a clean car. However, I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to forego enjoying my car just so it sits clean ALL THE TIME. If you wash/detail your car then all dirt will come off. As long as you can avoid getting scratches and dings, and you wash/detail your car, then just drive it whenever. At the end of the day it's a car and cars are meant to be driven.
Right, but as long as I have a DD I see no need to put my baby through snow, rain, road grime, etc. I get what you're saying, and I do believe in actually driving and enjoying the car (as I did it's first year-and-a-half to two years before I acquired a DD). As far as avoiding scratches and dings, I can prevent that 99% of the time by where I park my GT-R. But as in the case for seemingly ANY car you try to keep away from the masses, there's always that one person that wants to play with your mind by parking their Honda Civic beater right next to yours, when there are empty parking spaces around for miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Right, but as long as I have a DD I see no need to put my baby through snow, rain, road grime, etc. I get what you're saying, and I do believe in actually driving and enjoying the car (as I did it's first year-and-a-half to two years before I acquired a DD). As far as avoiding scratches and dings, I can prevent that 99% of the time by where I park my GT-R. But as in the case for seemingly ANY car you try to keep away from the masses, there's always that one person that wants to play with your mind by parking their Honda Civic beater right next to yours, when there are empty parking spaces around for miles.
I agree. As I've had "cool" cars over the years- nothing compared to people on this board in some cases but nevertheless great rides, and I've been able to afford one at a time. I think if I could have 6, I'd be much more anal about what I drive when and in what weather. The other thing I've considered is that cars are designed to be driven. An engine that sits around needs more work than an engine that gets experience out there in the real world. The dirt and grime you get on your car is harrowing - I mean truly a harrowing experience - I get it.

I had a '09 335i coupe prior to the GT-R and I had two dings - the first of which I got shortly after I bought the car brand new. That was in the hood and the other was on the driver side behind the door. I never stopped thinking about them but it also never stopped me from enjoying the experience.

I shudder to think what I'll do when (WHEN!) I get a ding in the GT-R but all I can do is remind myself I'll never see it from the cockpit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.