Nissan GT-R Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hows the shipping from RHDjapan. I have noticed from other sites that once you contact them directly they will update the generic shipping cost that is on the website.

·
Registered
2000 Skyline GT-R
45 Posts
Haha, yeahhhh, RHDJapan is fine and all because sometimes you can get parts cheaper there than elsewhere, but the thing is the advertised price on the page assumes certain discounts, namely the payment method of direct bank transfer. Yeah no, I'm not entering bank information on a foreign vendor website. I use PayPal for that stuff no matter what so that I'm covered. I'm not saying RHD would do anything shady or have they ever.

Thing is, YOU as the buyer will get charged all the fees, as once it's all added to cart and calculated, they add additional transaction fees as part of the price on the site. Oh, and you also have to pay conversion fees to PayPal for a foreign transaction. It's all kinda bullshit TBH, since everyone wants a piece of the transaction pie. "I guess that's the cost of doing business!11!!!!1" HURR DURR :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So once all is said and done, the costs add up to make the part not much less expensive than other vendors, or sometimes RHD even ends up being more than the others.

Their customer service leaves a good bit to be desired too. God forbid you wanna make any edits/changes to an order after paying. I guess that's a real serious issue for them to deal with. /s :rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used to have an R34 GT-R in Bayside Blue. At one point I wanted to have perfect headlights - so I started buying everything I could find from Yahoo Japan.

When I sold the car, I kept the best headlights I had and a load of spare headlights that weren't up to my standard.

So if you need headlights or any parts from them - just let me know.

·
Registered
2000 Skyline GT-R
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Well, been a while since I updated here. The R35 brakes were damaged in shipping and was a whole fiasco, and they are now being sent back to the seller. UPS denied our damage claim even though we paid for insurance. Basically told us to pound sand. Kind of a joke.

So now I'm going to be ordering an Endless brake set from Endless USA in a couple months. Yay.

In the meantime, enjoy some pics of the Nismo oil cooler kit that showed up yesterday:

'til later

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just saw this listed on RHDJapan, it's now sold as a standalone bolt-on kit from Nismo and not a factory service item. Looks pretty sweet, you sure you want to go with Endless?

·
Registered
2000 Skyline GT-R
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Yeah, I know about that kit. I'm also not looking to spend $12k on brakes. I was going to do this particular R35 brake set because it was all in great shape, low miles, and half the price of new with a new Supertec V1 kit. However I would have less choices of 18" wheels that fit over them. I would have been willing to make it work for the price. Though in light of what happened, I decided that for less than $2k more than the deal I was working out, it makes sense to go Endless, as the calipers are different dimensions and they use a 370mm up front. All this will fit under more choices of 18" wheel and everything is new as well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Curious to know how the Endless brakes work out for you, I've always been wondering what the right move there is for a mostly street-oriented build. The stock brakes will work fine for me as long as I don't track it but I suspect hard use will show the limits pretty quickly, even with the Endless MX72 Plus pads I have on it.

·
Registered
2000 Skyline GT-R
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Yeah, I will be looking forward to seeing the difference with the Endless kit eventually as well. I have to put that purchase on hold for now though.

Well dang, it's been a while since I dropped in here; s'pose I should do a bit of updating and all that. I've dialed it back on the major purchases for the next several months so that I can save some coin for my next house, but have been still acquiring smaller items in the meantime since the last post. There are no updates on Japan opening up that I have heard of, but it seems people are still prepping for TAS 2022 being back and accepting spectators 🤷

Here's a peek at my spreadsheet acquisitions since the last update:
13501-AA310 R34 RB26 Upper timing cover
13560-58S00 Lower timing cover
13287-AA301 R34 RB26 valley cover
NA Valve cover gasket set
96325-RNR40 Nismo carbon rearview mirror cover
26100-RNS51 Nismo smoked side indicators
see note R35 door link and cover set
see note gold GT-R emblems - F/R
KU000-WV215 Pitwork WV2 touch up paint
62896-AA400 silver GT-R grille emblem
see note gold GT-R emblem set
99993-RN010 Nismo midlogo emblem - black backing
FU006-A19 Nissan instruction manual - R34 BNR34 2000/10-2001/6
see note Deposit for CE28Ns
15255-RN014 NIB midlogo oil cap
74902-RNR45 Nismo midlogo floor mats
75880-AA410 Engine undertray

Nothing crazy.....buuuut I did put a deposit on a set of CE28Ns as you can see, bronze no less. I was able to find a vendor that had probably the last five sets of them in GT-R fitment coming directly from Rays, as they were discontinued back in 2018. Had to have them again just like on the STi. You can get the CE28SLs in bronze but those are painted, not anodized and the color is not the same as OG bronze. I am picky :p

The engine undertrays are now Heritage, so they doubled in price basically overnight for new. I am a bit insane....but I am NOT paying $1k+ for a square piece of plastic before shipping. I was able to find one on YAJ Auctions for over half that slightly used, but missing a couple brackets that I can probably just fab up and reattach.

The gold badges are super rare and were Nissan optional parts from the catalog back in the day and I was able to find a full set used but slightly scratched and a bit faded, dangit. Shouldn't bother me too much. Also found new front/rear, pictured below. The Nissan burger is the same gold finish, use your mindbrain since it's not pictured.
Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

Nismo carbon mirror cover and smoked side markers(which are already on the car, but good to have in case they are faded/cracked):
Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

Next year I plan to resume the big purchases once I am in a new spot, so look forward to that coming!

'til later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m kinda surprised you’re not having the parts sent to top rank and having them do the work. I’m sure you’re excited to put the wrench time in yourself. But it’d also be nice to pick her from the dock ready to roll. Either way, I’m totally jealous! Congrats!

·
Registered
2000 Skyline GT-R
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Thank you!

I see where you're coming from, but I really don't like to pay labor for every little thing on the car. And trust me they will nickle and dime for everything. So yes, I like doing things myself anyways so that it's up to my OCD standards.

That said, the car does need some servicing before I were to visit and drive the car, so I will have them do that at some point.

The only things I don't really do myself are wire looming, machining, and alignments.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I’m kinda surprised you’re not having the parts sent to top rank and having them do the work. I’m sure you’re excited to put the wrench time in yourself. But it’d also be nice to pick her from the dock ready to roll. Either way, I’m totally jealous! Congrats!
Toprank is decent, but if you're super meticulous their work is just ok. Also there is no replacement for being able to physically see the car to assess what actually needs to be done. I didn't realize how screwed up my brakes were until I actually drove the car, then when I took off the rotors and pads it was clear that the pads were glazed and the rotors were pretty thin.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Toprank is decent, but if you're super meticulous their work is just ok. Also there is no replacement for being able to physically see the car to assess what actually needs to be done. I didn't realize how screwed up my brakes were until I actually drove the car, then when I took off the rotors and pads it was clear that the pads were glazed and the rotors were pretty thin.
Good to know! At least it was an easy fix!

·
Registered
2000 Skyline GT-R
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Toprank is decent, but if you're super meticulous their work is just ok. Also there is no replacement for being able to physically see the car to assess what actually needs to be done.
Exactly this. There's a lot of discovery still needing to happen even though I've received several pics.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts