Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2009 R35 (GOD7ILLA)
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched forum and could not find info, so...

I'd like to [try to] preempt common tranny problems on my '09 - esp since I'm considering flashing with Cobb soon and thus my warranty will be no more.

Does anyone know of any reliable, experienced shops in Ontario that can do the basic work (clips, 1st gear, etc.)?

Alternative is a 10hr drive to Shep in OH, but within Ontario would be ideal.

Thanks, Karl

·
THAT GUY
4,775 Posts
Have you ever thought of ground shipping it to Shep.I would bet he has done more tranny's on this board than anyone else...TIM

·
2009 R35 (GOD7ILLA)
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a thought, but shipping anything across the border that will eventually be coming back is usually:
1) nightmarish cost
2) impossible to explain to Canada Customs that taxes of some type are not owing when your "already owned" item comes back.

It would be less hassle (and probably no more total cost) to drive the 10 hours to Shep's and stay for a day or two (with a good book) while they do the work. :)

Thanks, Karl

Have you ever thought of ground shipping it to Shep.I would bet he has done more tranny's on this board than anyone else...TIM

·
2009 R35 (GOD7ILLA)
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It's a thought, but shipping anything across the border that will eventually be coming back is usually:
1) nightmarish cost
2) impossible to explain to Canada Customs that taxes of some type are not owing when your "already owned" item comes back.

It would be less hassle (and probably no more total cost) to drive the 10 hours to Shep's and stay for a day or two (with a good book) while they do the work. :)

Thanks, Karl
If you don't have any luck finding someone good in Ontario, here's the process that worked for me with CBSA a few times:
  • Take a few pictures of your part in an obvious location (mine was in front of my house so the picture included the house number). Take a few up close showing any serial #s, etc.
  • Go to a CBSA office (I just popped in out at the Ottawa airport) with the printed copies of the pictures and tell them what you're doing. Ask them to stamp the pictures with their stamp (shows their badge # and date) to establish you had the parts in Canada)
  • When the parts come back from the US have the invoice for the work done. You'll pay HST on the parts and labour. If there are any questions about the origin of the parts you have the pictures stamped by the CBSA officer showing the part originated in Canada
If shipping is too steep the other option is to take it across the boarder yourself and ship from Odgensburg, NY. The UPS Store there will act as a drop off/delivery address for you (I've done tires and wheels through there)...

·
2009 R35 (GOD7ILLA)
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info , thanks.

Yep, I'm probably in the Ogdensburg UPS store every couple of months... handy for us Ottawa residents!

I did send a final drive down to Metric Mechanic about 8 years ago to have the limited slip tweaked. That was a much smaller part though.

Anyway, worth considering... thx.

If you don't have any luck finding someone good in Ontario, here's the process that worked for me with CBSA a few times:
  • Take a few pictures of your part in an obvious location (mine was in front of my house so the picture included the house number). Take a few up close showing any serial #s, etc.
  • Go to a CBSA office (I just popped in out at the Ottawa airport) with the printed copies of the pictures and tell them what you're doing. Ask them to stamp the pictures with their stamp (shows their badge # and date) to establish you had the parts in Canada)
  • When the parts come back from the US have the invoice for the work done. You'll pay HST on the parts and labour. If there are any questions about the origin of the parts you have the pictures stamped by the CBSA officer showing the part originated in Canada
If shipping is too steep the other option is to take it across the boarder yourself and ship from Odgensburg, NY. The UPS Store there will act as a drop off/delivery address for you (I've done tires and wheels through there)...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey Karl,

I can do the work in Ontario. Did the pro-dealer training in march, with Glenn. Did NickTo's transmission and a few others. Did some before prior to training with dodson. Being a dealer tech I have consult access etc to your tranmission learns and setup or any other needs. I also do a lot of other upgrades. Any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks
Nate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts