Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out of town for a week and when I came back home to take my car out for a spin the doors wouldn't even unlock, battery was completely dead.

I even turn off my radar when I park my car just to be safe. has this happened to anyone before?

I have parked the car for longer periods than a week in the past without any issues.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Only time I had batter issues was from leaving the EcuTek OBD cable connected - it still draws current even when the car is off. That plus the battery being 4 years old degraded it to the point where it would not hold a charge, even after driving, and I found myself stuck at work despite starting the car every few hours. Replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top with extra juice for added electrical accessories. And I don't leave the OBD cable connected anymore.

· What is six times nine?
1,267 Posts
I was out of town for a week and when I came back home to take my car out for a spin the doors wouldn't even unlock, battery was completely dead.

I even turn off my radar when I park my car just to be safe. has this happened to anyone before?

I have parked the car for longer periods than a week in the past without any issues.
I've had OEM battery go bad twice, even on Battery Tender. Just got an Optima Yellow top for $140 from Pep Boys, who had 35% off online order promotion going on.

· Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only use my tender over the winter, never had this issue before

with my M5 I used to leave it parked all winter without a battery tender and never had an issue

· Registered
3,992 Posts
forty-two: curious when the sale was. I do not need a battery yet but you never know. I use battery tender 24-7-365.

· What is six times nine?
1,267 Posts
forty-two: curious when the sale was. I do not need a battery yet but you never know. I use battery tender 24-7-365.
I got mine on 22 July '15.

Apparently they're a little hard to come by...I called around the local PepBoy stores & none had one in stock. I then found one in another state, & they were willing to ship free to my local store. So, I called the local one once again to get their store number for shipping, & they had just received a pallet of batteries which included exactly one of the one I needed. So, I paid online w/discount, then went & collected battery.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Anyone who uses Promotive can get almost 50% off Optima batteries by passing their knowledge test to get the discount. Got mine for $125 shipped.

· Pew Pew
647 Posts
I switched to Napa Legend batteries for all my cars. Excellent warranty and can usually find a 10-20% coupon for ordering online and picking up in store. I have tried optima and interstate and in my opinion the Napa last longer with great juice. Interstate is absolute garbage. Had a year old battery just die and wouldn't start my car but since their tester said it was good they wouldn't warranty it, even though it wouldn't start any car we hooked it up to.

· Registered
60 Posts
I had the same problem with losing charge and it gradually got worse and worse. Eventually I couldn't go more than a day without it losing charge. It turned out to be the IPDM. Once I got that replaced along with a new battery I can go a month without starting my car and there is no problem. Just food for thought

· Registered
60 Posts
Can the dealer replace the ipdm?

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app
Yes the dealer can replace. Also I believe the touchscreen can contribute to the problem, but I can't remember how exactly anymore. I went through all of this last summer and dragged the dealer along with me in my attempts to fix it. I refuse to live with a car, a japanese car no less, designed and built in the 21st century that needs a battery tender if sitting for a week.
Good luck getting it sorted

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.