Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 GTR and have done some track time in it as a completely stock car. I love how the car handles on the track. I was toying with the idea of getting a dedicated track vehicle (Cup Car, Spec Racer, etc), but have decided it more prudent to keep the GTR and upgrade it a little for the track. I live in Lake Tahoe and put Winter Blizzaks on my stock rims to use as a driver for winter. I will need a set of wheels and track tires to use the car at the track. We have several tracks within a few hours of us (Thunderhill, Laquna Seca, Reno/Fernley, Button Willow) and thank goodness there are several track days coming up.

I want to know your opinions on a good setup for the track for about 10K (give or take). I still use the car as a daily driver and will switch wheels at the track. I have a few ideas and would love some additional input.

1. Wheels; Go with 18 x 10.5 and Toyo or buy another set of stock wheels and Summer tires or other recommendations?
2. Titan Roll Bar
3. Two Four point harnesses (recommendations and cost please)
3. J Hook Rotors with Pagid or similar pads
4. Traqmate or other data logging
4. Willall fluids

Any other recommendations?

Next perhaps
1. KW Coil overs
2. Stillen sway bars
3. Cobb Access Port and a tune (not sure as I will be doing track time and hear that the car is under a lot of stress stock as is and a tune could be to much?)
4. Down pipes (see above)

FYI, I am strictly a road course guy (not a 1/4 mi guy, but still love the acceleration), all advise appreciated.

Does anyone know the best shops close to either Reno or Sacramento do do some of the work?

I only keep my cars for a couple of years at most and wounder how these upgrades will effect resale (improve or decrease resale value), should I remove and just resell the parts (most of these are bolt on) when I am about to sell my car?

Thanks

·
I see bad people
121 Posts
Great question! I'll be subscribing to see what answers you get as I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Well the gtr is already a great platform...

Seat time and track days are your biggest teaching tool. I always read that get instruction early and don't pick up bad habits.

Tracking will definitely increase wear on consumable costly parts ie tires, brakes and fluid changes if you are reaching high temps.

Half your budget can be burnt on tires and brakes after a few hard track days.

If you plan on running in the heat a trans cooler could get thrown on your list.

Depending on your current tire now a good set of tires can change how your car drives. A square set up 285 on all fours can help with the understeer I've read. Using a toyo 888 track tire can provide more grip for a more technical course.

Adding power isn't always the answer especially when the gtr is already fast and can get you in serious trouble quickly if you aren t skilled.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
If you're able to push the limits of a stock GTR, then I'd look into a set of JRZ pro's, sway bars, brake pads, and tires.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Do what I do--keep all of your stock parts, so you can have them reinstalled when you're ready to sell. You'll do best selling as close to stock as possible & selling the aftermarket parts separately )if you have the patience to do so). I just did this w/ my SCCA Evo & did significantly better this way, than just selling it w/ all the goodies still installed.

Your initial list looks good. Just concentrate on cooling--esp in NV.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Take a look at this entry level setup. It doesn't take much to go pretty fast in the GT-R. http://www.nagtroc.o...ck-tested-look/

We have to two Forged owned in-house 2013 BE's coming shortly and our first goal is to see how fast we can make the car without using coilovers or springs of any kind.
Here is a good plan:

1) FP Basic Track Package which includes Forged Performance Sway Bars and Race End Links, FP Brake Stainless Brake Llines, Carbotech Pads, and Motul Fluid: http://www.forgedper...&cat=436&page=1

2) AP Racing J-Hooks Front and Rear: http://www.forgedper...ome.php?cat=506

3) For tires and wheels, you have many choices but it's honestly not a bad to idea to give it a go with the stock dunlops until they wear out. If you don't want to change wheels and tires out for track days then i would suggest one of the 20 inch Volk sets like the G2 or G12's and run the Michelin PSS tire. Its a tire that literally does it all and you won't be bothered by changing wheels/tires for the track. And the tires lasts longer than anything else out there, by an order of magnitude.

4) Power is really optional if the goal is track usage. The car doesn't need more power right off the bat until you are driving the car like a total animal. Most of the track records and Time Attack podiums we set were on fairly low boost settings overall and all on stock turbos. Setup, seat-time, and gaining confidence in the car is more important than power. Plus it keeps heat and wear and tear down

5) For heaving track use, I would suggest the Greddy DTC transmission cooler as well.

6) Forged Performance 4 Point Harness Bar and Schroth ASM harnesses...announcement coming in just a few days. It will be worth the weight.

That's about it for round 1 and round 1.5 Let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
What size 20" are recommended for a mixed street/track setup? Is there a setup where all four wheels are identical so rotating doesn't require dismounting the tires?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
For driving around the track with no worries and lots of fun:

1) Data logger
2) Transmission cooler, HKS or Greddy
3) PFC or AP Racing rotors
4) Hawk DTC 70 or DTC 60 pads and Project Mu 335 brake fluid
5) 18x10 +22 offset Enkei GTC-01 wheels and 4 same size Nitto NT-01 or Toyo R-888 tires and a tire pyrometer to set pressures
6) Eibach or other anti-roll bars

And brake cooling when it becomes available and an additional oil cooler that works with DCT cooler when that becomes available.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I can't say enough about what Sharif has posted as well as others. Get the basics first and then attack the other items as you see they are needed. Forged has done tons of track testing on GTR's and offers a great package setup.

My current setup that I did a few trackdays in this year

Sways
285 Pilot 20" supersports on all 4 corners
Swift Springs
Brake lines
RBF 600 Brake fluid

Of course I have some performance upgrades as well (GT600 on E85)

For next year
Hoosier Slicks on 18"
All new fluids in diff and transmission
KW Sleeve kit
AP Jhook rotors and pads

Forged is great to deal with and ask questions on tracking. They have some great packages that you may want to consider as well as Sharif is great to talk to and can get you pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
In an order.

1. Trans-cooler.
2. Seats/Belts.
3. 18" tires wheels.
4. Brakes
5. Suspension
A. Sway bars.
B. Coilovers.

Do not add power unless you can expand your budget to $20,000. Added power will require Water cooling package, larger oil cooler, Diff. cooler, high end coilovers on and on.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
. I live in Lake Tahoe and put Winter Blizzaks on my stock rims to use as a driver for winter. I will need a set of wheels and track tires to use the car at the track. We have several tracks within a few hours of us (Thunderhill, Laquna Seca, Reno/Fernley, Button Willow) and thank goodness there are several track days coming up.
FYI, I am strictly a road course guy (not a 1/4 mi guy, but still love the acceleration), all advise appreciated.

Does anyone know the best shops close to either Reno or Sacramento do do some of the work?
Do you know Eric? He has a gunmetal GT-R and is in the same area. We did a few road course mods on his GT-R, more or less the first list with our sway bars, R888 tires, and some carbon fiber trim pieces.

Suspension:

Penske Coil Overs
http://www.2009gtr.com/2010/07/stillen-penske-r35-nissan-gt-r-two-way.html
STILLEN Sway Bars

Brakes :

Stainless Steel Lines
Fluid APPRF 608 3 for the car
Front AP Curved vane rotors
Rear AP Curved vane rotors

Brake pads - We have Feordo DS1.1 , DS 2.1 , Hawk DTC 70 , Hawk DTC 60, Pagid. Prices go from about $350 up to about $965.
http://www.2009gtr.com/2011/04/stock-gt-r-brembo-rotors-cracking.html

Transmission:

Low temp thermostat
Greddy transmission cooler kit

Wheels/Tires:

Do you have to run stock? Have any preference?

Other than a square setup, there are a lot of choices. I recommend a 285 front and rear tire if staying with the 20's.
http://www.2009gtr.com/2011/09/nissan-gt-r-wheel-and-tire-fitment.html

Nissan GT-R buyers guide
http://www.2009gtr.com/2010/12/used-nissan-gt-r-buyers-guide-2009-2011.html

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Thanks for that link, again is there any setup of 20" wheels with identical widths and offsets that will fit both the fronts and rears of the GT-R without looking ridiculous or compromise performance? Many of us whould like to rotate F->B and L->R without having to remount tires. thx

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Thanks for that link, again is there any setup of 20" wheels with identical widths and offsets that will fit both the fronts and rears of the GT-R without looking ridiculous or compromise performance? Many of us whould like to rotate F->B and L->R without having to remount tires. thx
The Super Taikyu R35 had the same setup front and rear. However, they use an offset in the rear hat to push the rear wheel out. Otherwise it will be sunk in a little bit.

http://www.2009gtr.c...brakes-and.html

A 10.5 on the front is very aggressive. It will stick out a bit without some camber/fender rolling.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Thanks, what about 10" wheels on both front and back? Is that possible?

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Thanks, what about 10" wheels on both front and back? Is that possible?
Sure its possible, but its all about offsets. The one that fills out the front wheel well, is sunk in at the rear. 20 mm difference in offset, or nearly an inch.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Sure its possible, but its all about offsets. The one that fills out the front wheel well, is sunk in at the rear. 20 mm difference in offset, or nearly an inch.
but nothing spacers can't fix right?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I just run my square setup with 10x18" wheels with 22 mm offset without spacers on track. Works just fine. Car could use more rear tire than a square setup gives when you push it hard, but then you couldn't swap tires and wheels around, order just the same tire for any wheel, etc. I could use spacers, but that just adds something to pack and store and take on and off. Depends if you want the killer fastest setup or just something to have track-day fun with. Do more track days, worry less about hardware, buy a data logger and learn to use it to improve your driving. Best mod you can make to your car is adding a data logger. You would be amazed how much laptimes for most people can be improved by using one, for example by simply learning where to brake and how hard to brake.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts