Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear the media makes up their facts half the time. It is not really the reason anyone would buy a GT-R and retained value for most is probably just added bonus to an already great car, but how did the GT-R not rank...

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/autos/1111/gallery.best_resale_value_cars/index.html

As close as I can figure, not a single year model will hit a projected 5-yr value less than 50% of its original MSRP. By next year, does anyone think you will be able, on average, to buy 2009 for less than $40K? From what I have seen, the GT-R holds its value better than most other production cars regardless of category (I'm sure in no small part to the annual price increases on new models).

·
Registered
977 Posts
Your right. When you increase the price that much each year you maintain a high resale value for the used cars. It's a nice thing for the GTR preorders in 2008 at $72,000 for the premium.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The GT-R definately has one of the best resale values. The more expensive the car the more it will depreciate. Because nothing in the same performance class as the GT-R comes close to it's low price point is one of the reasons the GT-R has a good resale value. And since it has a lower price point it doesn't have much to give in depreciaton as the cars twice, three, and 4 times the amount of the GT-R.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The GT-R didn't rank because of such low production numbers....all those cars have much more than the 1000 or so units Nissan sells here in the states........

·
Registered
190 Posts
The GT-R didn't rank because of such low production numbers....all those cars have much more than the 1000 or so units Nissan sells here in the states........
+1, low production number cars probably dont count! If not you'd have Ferraris, Lambos, etc

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there anywhere that shows the production numbers of each year for the GT-R?
There is a thread on the site somewhere that has US sales figures, but I don't know anywhere to get worldwide production numbers

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1, low production number cars probably dont count! If not you'd have Ferraris, Lambos, etc
Yeah, that was kind of my first thought, too, but it doesn't really track perfectly. While The GT-R is fairly low production, its not a limited production car like many higher end models. When considering value, I think your Ferraris, Lambos, LF-As, etc are not just exotics, they (for many) are also investment cars. There is an intermediate tier that are cars people strive to own which owners will drive more regularly and which have more of a depreciation factory. I'd see your GT-Rs, most Porsches, Audi R8s, etc in this group. When I read that article, I was more expecting a separate category for high-end performance cars rather than have the GT-R take one of the mentioned categories. And for the record, I did a little recon and it appears the 2009 Porsche Turbo S does have a slightly better retained value (by %) than the GT-R, but it is very close.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I think your Ferraris, Lambos, LF-As, etc are not just exotics, they (for many) are also investment cars.
The days of these cars being investments are over.....maybe the new Aventador and LFA won't depreciate at the beginning but most Ferrari's and Lambo's now depreciate pretty quickly....There are very few modern day cars that are true investment vehicles...

·
Registered
228 Posts
ALG is just a guide, not current market value. When 2012 hits and 2013 models will be available, 2009 models should go for around $52-58k depending on mileage(Last Nissan closed sale, 2009 GTR w/ 28k goes for $50-54k). Manufacturers leases also don't tell the real story as they can inflate residuals based on ALG and lower money factors.

Naturally this is what will happen:

Based on residual decrease per year, Dealer vs Private
MY 2013: $95k-100k+
MY 2012: $82k-90k
MY 2011: $66-75k
MY 2010: $62-$73k
MY 2009: $50-65k

1 - 14 of 14 Posts