Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear GT-R owners,

I'm going to replace my OEM tires soon.

I see that many people use different size, so I'm wondering which is the best option.

I'm uncertain between:

255/40-20 - 285/35-20 265/40-20 - 295/35-20 265/35-20 - 295/30-20 265/35-20 - 305/30-20

275/35-20 - 295/30-20 275/35-20 - 305/30-20

Could someone advises me the best set?

Eugenio

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Dear GT-R owners,

I'm going to replace my OEM tires soon.

I see that many people use different size, so I'm wondering which is the best option.

I'm uncertain between:

255/40-20 - 285/35-20 265/40-20 - 295/35-20 265/35-20 - 295/30-20 265/35-20 - 305/30-20

275/35-20 - 295/30-20 275/35-20 - 305/30-20

Could someone advises me the best set?

Eugenio
Best set for what purpose? What suspension do you have? Any plans to lower suspension? What are your road conditions like- full of potholes or very smooth?

There are many choices but tire sizes need to fit the wheels you have- OEM or aftermarket. Also tire sizes have to be equal or very close on tire diameter front to rear in order for the AWD system to work and not overheat.

Assuming you have OEM wheels and suspension with no plans to lower and at least decent roads not full of hazzards then-

255/40-20 and 285/35-20 is OEM tire sizing and does OK for street use, you can choose runflat or non runflat tires in max or all season and find winter Blizzak tires for driving in snow.

265/40-20 and 295/35-20, 265/40 has tire diam. 28.4" while 295/35-20 has tire diam. of 28.1" so this combo does work

265/35-20 and 295/30-20, 265/35 has tire diam. of 27.3" while 295/30-20 has tire diam. of 27", while this works it is about 1" smaller than OEM so some speedo and odometer error and ride height/road clearance is 1/2" lower and wheel gap is 1/2" more. Risk of scraping front lower lip is increased.

265/35-20 and 305/30-20, same as above since 305/30-20 has tire diam. of 27.2", cost of 305/30 tire tends to be more than 295/30 e.g. $70 more if Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, fitment is slightly better with wider than OEM rear wheel.

275/35-20 and 295/30-20, 275/35-20 has tire diam. of 27.6" so not as good match for rear 295/30-20 (27"), difference is 2.2% which is at the usable limit. 285/35-20 might be better.

275/35-20 and 305/30-20, similar to other case with slightly wider rear tire size, can work but higher cost of rear tire.

Also there are square tire setups that work with OEM wheels and suspension-

285/35-20 for both front and rear- this is the most common choice beyond OEM tire sizes. Tire diam is equal and front tire fits front wheel and gives more grip for turns. Tire selection is good because you don't need to find different size tires.

295/30-20 is extra aggressive for performance driving but may be a tight fit for front wheel and has smaller tire diam. 27". Lower sidewalls give firm ride, tire selection is more for track or driving school than for street driving.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Front Pair 285/35ZR20 Rear Pair 315/30ZR20 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This tire combo gives Race tires only- Toyo R888R treadwear 100 or Pirelli P Zero Corsa System treadwear 60 and $808 each for 315/30-20 tire

285/35-20 tire diam. 27.9"

315/30-20 fits wheels 10.5-11.5" wide, tire diam. 27.5"

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
How about 285/35-20 and 295/35-20 with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S?
This is fine. Front wheel just fits and rear wheel is fine on wider tire size. Small tire diam. difference is OK.

For street use, 285/35-20 on both front and rear will work the same (or nearly so, depends on your driving style) but some owners like having a little wider tire on the rear wheel both for looks and extra rubber. On the track you might be able to use the wider tire size better than on the street.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
This is fine. Front wheel just fits and rear wheel is fine on wider tire size. Small tire diam. difference is OK.

For street use, 285/35-20 on both front and rear will work the same (or nearly so, depends on your driving style) but some owners like having a little wider tire on the rear wheel both for looks and extra rubber. On the track you might be able to use the wider tire size better than on the street.
Hi

would it be okay to use MPS4S 285 35 20 on the front and MPS4S 295 35 20 K1 V1 (Ferrari) on the rear. The Ferrari tires are the only ones available in 295. Stock wheels stock suspension. I noticed they are a little heavier for some reason but otherwise seem okay.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Hi

would it be okay to use MPS4S 285 35 20 on the front and MPS4S 295 35 20 K1 V1 (Ferrari) on the rear. The Ferrari tires are the only ones available in 295. Stock wheels stock suspension. I noticed they are a little heavier for some reason but otherwise seem okay.
Yes, OK to use, the Ferrari model tires aren't that much different, they are made to spec by Ferrari. They are all XL load rated so stiff sidewall construction, weights are different but only a little. Sometimes the manufacturer specs aren't perfectly correct.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Yes, OK to use, the Ferrari model tires aren't that much different, they are made to spec by Ferrari. They are all XL load rated so stiff sidewall construction, weights are different but only a little. Sometimes the manufacturer specs aren't perfectly correct.
Thanks a lot your contribution to the forum is invaluable.

Could you just clarify "They are all XL load rated" Do you mean all sizes of the MPS4S tires? Why i`m asking is that the company who i had intended buying the tires from said "they are not XL rated" which to say the least is a bit confusing for me as i`m ordering online. (that being both sets of tires 285-295)

thanks Ian

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I need a clarification. If I'm running stock oem wheels 9.5 front 10.5 rear, can I still rotate the fronts to the back of I'm running 285 square?
Yes you can. I've rotated mine twice already with no issues. With my driving style I have rotated mine every 15k miles and it's worked great! This also keeps the AWD system happy as there is almost always equal diameter maintained from front to rear.

I measure the tread depth with a tire gauge and when I get to around 1.5-2/32nds difference between front and rear I rotate them. For me since I don't track mine, the rears always wear faster than the fronts.

My MPSSs are now at 30k miles and can most likely go another 10-15k miles before needing a new set. If I wasn't rotating I would have easily needed a new set by now because the front to rear diameter difference would have become too great and is bad for the AWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have this dilemma too...I cant decide what size to go with for the MPSS 4S. I am on stock 2015 premium rims but full bolt ons and aggressive driving style.

What size would be best so I don't regret my choices?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes you can. Ive rotated mine twice already with no issues. With my driving style I have rotated mine every 15k miles and its worked great! This also keeps the AWD system happy as there is almost always equal diameter maintained from front to rear.I measure the tread depth with a tire gauge and when I get to around 1.5-2/32nds difference between front and rear I rotate them. For me since I dont track mine, the rears always wear faster than the fronts.My MPSSs are now at 30k miles and can most likely go another 10-15k miles before needing a new set. If I wasnt rotating I would have easily needed a new set by now because the front to rear diameter difference would have become too great and is bad for the AWD.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you drive like a grandma?

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Thanks a lot your contribution to the forum is invaluable.

Could you just clarify "They are all XL load rated" Do you mean all sizes of the MPS4S tires? Why i`m asking is that the company who i had intended buying the tires from said "they are not XL rated" which to say the least is a bit confusing for me as i`m ordering online. (that being both sets of tires 285-295)

thanks Ian
For Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Max Summer tire

285/35-20 comes in two models/variants and both are (105Y) XL load rated.

295/35-20 comes in two models (regular and K1) and both are (105Y) XL load rated.

If the tire vendor is saying 4S is not XL load rated then I wonder if they don't have the 4S and are talking about another tire model. Michelin makes 5 models of Pilot Sport "something". All tire sizes of 4S are XL load rated.

XL load rating is a more common feature for performance tires currently, it stiffens the sidewall construction to allow heavier loads than with Standard load rated tires. This means when you use tire sizes that are different from OEM you don't need to worry about load rating being too low for street use.

see

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/70228-xl-vs-standard-load-tires-which-is-better-for-the-gt-r/

Python,

Are you asking when using OEM front and rear wheels and square 285/35-20 tires can you move the front wheels to the rear or are you asking if you can dismount the front tires and move them to the rear?

Yes, you can dismount and flip (inside goes outside) tires that are square on OEM wheels. Why flip? because the most wear will be on the front inner treads which if you move to the rear will likely wear out on the inner side unless you are sliding the rear alot so the rear wear will be again on the inner treads. On the other hand you can check wear on your fronts and see how worn they are on the outer and the inner tread blocks. Outer treads wear with higher speed turns and with less front negative camber. If you find both inner and outer treads are wearing fast then rotating tires to the rear might not last very long. Flipping tires isn't as good when the tread blocks are wider on the outer treads (for max rubber grip and wear) and small on the inner treads (made that way to offer places for water to drain in wet). You do compromise putting inner treads on the other side, it's only a way to stretch a tire's useful life. On the street under normal driving flipping street tires can be done but on the track you will be giving up grip so drive accordingly. On the other hand if your outer treads on the front are toast and you are nearly cording then any added rubber will be welcome. Tires take a beating with high HP cars, it's hard to avoid.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
AutoXGTR

Thanks for the clarification. As all sizes are XL that answers my question. I now have all the relevant information to be able to order.

The person i was in contact with didn`t seem to have the knowledge i`d expected,which in turn seems very strange! Not good customer service and possible lost revenue.

Thanks a lot,and yes they were most definitely the 4S i looked at,i`ll order the tires in a few moments.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
OK, sounds good. Remember the GTR is no average sportcar where you can do anything you want on tires. In fact it's a marvel of engineering that rewards the driver when you match the tires to the intended use which for most owners is driving fast and with confidence.

Look at what you want your GTR to do then budget to buy the best tires for that purpose and realize tires aren't going to last but so what.

If you don't use the right tires you will end up essentially crippled in your driving experience which is a shame, there is just no comparison.

The tire class that is also possible for street use and performance is Extreme Summer tires (OEM runflats) which include some that will fit the GTR's wheels however they fall short in sizes that are wider than OEM. On OEM wheels there are 285/35-20 and sometimes 295/30-20. In general you compromise ride quality, smoothness, low noise and tire wear for better grip especially in dry. You get a better balance of dry vs wet handling with Max Summer tires.

For those that autocross and street drive, Extreme Summer tires are a top choice but Max Summer tires are not to be overlooked.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
:thumbsup:

OK, sounds good. Remember the GTR is no average sportcar where you can do anything you want on tires. In fact it's a marvel of engineering that rewards the driver when you match the tires to the intended use which for most owners is driving fast and with confidence.

Look at what you want your GTR to do then budget to buy the best tires for that purpose and realize tires aren't going to last but so what.

If you don't use the right tires you will end up essentially crippled in your driving experience which is a shame, there is just no comparison.

The tire class that is also possible for street use and performance is Extreme Summer tires (OEM runflats) which include some that will fit the GTR's wheels however they fall short in sizes that are wider than OEM. On OEM wheels there are 285/35-20 and sometimes 295/30-20. In general you compromise ride quality, smoothness, low noise and tire wear for better grip especially in dry. You get a better balance of dry vs wet handling with Max Summer tires.

For those that autocross and street drive, Extreme Summer tires are a top choice but Max Summer tires are not to be overlooked.
Ordered the 4S 285-295 last night and i will have them fitted Thursday of next week.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
autoxgtr

I was asking about moving the fronts to the back, and the backs to the front. It did it cross my mind to dismount and or flip them. It's my first time not running oems In the staggered size. I went with 285 square to try and get some more life and also a smoother ride. As always you post very good info.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts