Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
autoxgtr

I was asking about moving the fronts to the back, and the backs to the front. It did it cross my mind to dismount and or flip them. It's my first time not running oems In the staggered size. I went with 285 square to try and get some more life and also a smoother ride. As always you post very good info.
OK, moving front tires only to the rear wheels and vice versa are fine. You do have to look at the tread pattern for a given tire-

Racing slicks- no treads so flipping is a good way to move less used inner treads to outer location, tires heat unevenly so rubber compound on inner vs outer treads can be more or less heat cycled. A tire durometer may allow you to check the difference. If the tire carcass heats up as with track use then the whole tire more or less may be heat cycled so flipping can be used to move worn out rubber to a less used position.

Directional tires- are meant to be used with respect to the direction of travel so tires on one side of the car usually stay on that side unless inner and outer tread pattern is the same. Then you can move right front to left rear to allow inner treads to move to outer location

Asymmetric tires - have different tread patterns for outer and inner treads and are not always directional. For the GTR this is a common pattern for tires, you can move front right to left rear depending on how much wear you have on outer and inner treads.

Most important is to move tires early enough to get good wear once it is moved. Once tires are worn they may not wear as evenly, also as tires age the rubber gets harder and tire wear may not be as good or even.

The biggest benefit of running 285/35-20 square is to put more tire on the front OEM wheels, you get more grip and more rubber to work with. Combined with good driving skill you can get much more performance out of the car. Since all four tires are the same size the AWD system works well.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Dear GT-R owners,

I'm going to replace my OEM tires soon.

I see that many people use different size, so I'm wondering which is the best option.

I'm uncertain between:

255/40-20 - 285/35-20 265/40-20 - 295/35-20 265/35-20 - 295/30-20 265/35-20 - 305/30-20

275/35-20 - 295/30-20 275/35-20 - 305/30-20

Could someone advises me the best set?

Eugenio
you can run 285 and 315 r888. Thats what i did on my oem wheels for a while

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yes you can. I've rotated mine twice already with no issues. With my driving style I have rotated mine every 15k miles and it's worked great! This also keeps the AWD system happy as there is almost always equal diameter maintained from front to rear.

I measure the tread depth with a tire gauge and when I get to around 1.5-2/32nds difference between front and rear I rotate them. For me since I don't track mine, the rears always wear faster than the fronts.

My MPSSs are now at 30k miles and can most likely go another 10-15k miles before needing a new set. If I wasn't rotating I would have easily needed a new set by now because the front to rear diameter difference would have become too great and is bad for the AWD.

GT-R Marine,
Do you have pictures of your tires on your car under the fenders ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yes you can. I've rotated mine twice already with no issues. With my driving style I have rotated mine every 15k miles and it's worked great! This also keeps the AWD system happy as there is almost always equal diameter maintained from front to rear.

I measure the tread depth with a tire gauge and when I get to around 1.5-2/32nds difference between front and rear I rotate them. For me since I don't track mine, the rears always wear faster than the fronts.

My MPSSs are now at 30k miles and can most likely go another 10-15k miles before needing a new set. If I wasn't rotating I would have easily needed a new set by now because the front to rear diameter difference would have become too great and is bad for the AWD.

GT-R Marine,
Do you have pictures of your tires on your car under the fenders ?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Yeah I used to have some pics and posted them a while back on the forums but later deleted the pics from my phone. I will have to take new pics when I get a chance.

The MPSS 285 square setup looks fine to me but some have said since Michelin tires run narrow for their size they can look a little stretched on the rear wheels. The fronts actually fit nicely to the stock 9.5 wheels and it’s just the rears that will look a little stretched or trapezoidal on the stock 10.5 wheels.

You can alleviate this look by going 295s in the rear but then the setup won’t be squared anymore and defeats the purpose of being able to rotate the tires.

If you go aftermarket wheels you could probably run 10 inch wheels in the front and 10.5 rear like what’s on the Nismo and run 295/35 square. The only thing is I don’t know if the 295 tires on 10 inch wheels would rub in the front on stock suspension on a non-Nismo GTR. I know the Nismo has wider front fenders to accommodate the 10.0 wheels in the front. If someone could chime in and answer this I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Yeah I used to have some pics and posted them a while back on the forums but later deleted the pics from my phone. I will have to take new pics when I get a chance.

The MPSS 285 square setup looks fine to me but some have said since Michelin tires run narrow for their size they can look a little stretched on the rear wheels. The fronts actually fit nicely to the stock 9.5 wheels and it’s just the rears that will look a little stretched or trapezoidal on the stock 10.5 wheels.

You can alleviate this look by going 295s in the rear but then the setup won’t be squared anymore and defeats the purpose of being able to rotate the tires.

If you go aftermarket wheels you could probably run 10 inch wheels in the front and 10.5 rear like what’s on the Nismo and run 295/35 square. The only thing is I don’t know if the 295 tires on 10 inch wheels would rub in the front on stock suspension on a non-Nismo GTR. I know the Nismo has wider front fenders to accommodate the 10.0 wheels in the front. If someone could chime in and answer this I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Front Pair 285/35ZR20
Rear Pair 315/30ZR20
I will try this
285/35 & 315/30 have a diameter difference of 1.8%. Overall diameter would be closer with 275/35 & 315/30 (0.7%), or 285/35 & 325/30 (0.7%) or 275/35 & 325/30 (0.4%).

You can use a tire calculator to compare any two sizes.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts