Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best tires for normal everyday use and where do you suggest buying them from.
Im gonna need to replace them on both GTR's
Thanks

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Personally , for everyday driving , I would take anything that fits and that's cheap

·
Registered
297 Posts
PSS tires seem to be getting good reviews. I've got a set coming and plan on having the car set to street on the alignment. I'm "really" hoping even with some spirited driving I can pull 15k out of them.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Hi everyone, not to threadjack - but since someone else created a thread on tires - I thought I would ask for feedback on the general forum.

Looking to drag race - not road race. Have a few combinations I am looking at. Worried about height difference for one combo in particular - and overall height increase from stock for its potential affect on the AWD system. The only tire set that is close to the stock heights are the R888's, but I'm hearing they are very loud and maybe not the best for the drag strip.

I have an R1K package - so power is an unadjusted dyno output of 820-1014 awhp (pump/gas).

Here's some of the particulars from my thread;

My understanding is from Sam is that the front and rear height difference can not exceed .30 of an inch. The Nitto 555R front and rear combo is .24 of an inch different - or 80% of tolerance.
Sam has used the 555R front and rear combo successfully.
The other Nitto Invo's (front) /555R (rear) and Nitto 555R (front)/NT05R (rear) combo's are .04 and .08 of an inch difference respectively.

Stock heights for both BF Goodrich and Dunlops are 27.9 to 28.0. The Invo/555R heights are 28.62 front, 28.58 rear. The 555R/NT05R heights are 28.82 front, 28.74 rear.

My question is - should I be worried about exceeding the stock heights by almost a full inch? Will this affect the Attessa system? the NT05R's have not speed rating - but I would assume as people are dragging with them that they can handle high speeds - at least in straight line. I have heard positive feedback on the 555R/NT05R and Invo/555R combo.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pss??
Is that pilot sport

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
The only tire set that is close to the stock heights are the R888's, but I'm hearing they are very loud and maybe not the best for the drag strip.
I love my R888s. I wound't run anything else on a big power GT-R (or Lambo for that matter) on the street.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love my R888s. I wound't run anything else on a big power GT-R (or Lambo for that matter) on the street.
What is the exact size you run. Or just same as stock setup.

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
I know one of your build requirements was low noise. Do the 888 fit that profile or were they one place where you had to compromise for safety?

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
I know one of your build requirements was low noise. Do the 888 fit that profile or were they one place where you had to compromise for safety?
Funny you should ask. Tym wanted me to run quiet street tires in order to keep the car ultra-quiet, but I'm pretty adamant about running the R88s. I want them for both perfomance and safety even if they add a little noise. But honestly, I really don't think they're that loud.

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
They hook in 2nd on my car on the street unless it's cold and/or damp out. Haven't tried them at the track yet, but will very soon. Jamie (Ohio) went 9.7 @ 145 on them on 20" heavy wheels in his E900.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
They hook in 2nd on my car on the street unless it's cold and/or damp out. Haven't tried them at the track yet, but will very soon. Jamie (Ohio) went 9.7 @ 145 on them on 20" heavy wheels in his E900.
Awesome - please let me know how they perform.

Your car on pump is far more powerful than mine and close enough compared to my race fuel numbers to give me a great idea of how they will perform on my setup.

The 555R/NT05R combo is my second favourite at the moment - but the NT05R's are not speed rated - so that is a concern. Nvrenough used them and really liked them. I'm still on the fence with the 555R front and rear combo due to the .24 of an inch difference. The Invo's/555R's got great reveiws from Fadhi.

·
Registered
645 Posts
vtknight you didn't mean to threadjack...but what you just did is the epitome of threadjacking.

Elpasogtr, if you're not looking for max traction nothing beats the Dunlop all-seasons as a good all-around tire. Tread life is the best by far out of all available options and price is in line with other options. Wet traction is great too, I've only had the all-seasons on my GT-R and can get it to last about 20k miles normal driving. I'd order them from tirerack.com and get it drop-shipped to their list of preferred installers or your own tire guy.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
vtknight you didn't mean to threadjack...but what you just did is the epitome of threadjacking.

Elpasogtr, if you're not looking for max traction nothing beats the Dunlop all-seasons as a good all-around tire. Tread life is the best by far out of all available options and price is in line with other options. Wet traction is great too, I've only had the all-seasons on my GT-R and can get it to last about 20k miles normal driving. I'd order them from tirerack.com and get it drop-shipped to their list of preferred installers or your own tire guy.
Normally I would agree with you if I posted a new topic - but since the topic is about tires - and I am putting information out about tires...

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about the michilins??? Tread wear is 300

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
If I wanted a pure street tire and was making less than 600 whp, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is what I'd go with.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I think I'm around 550. My wife's is stock.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
For the price this is a great street tire. The ride is better though a little bouncy here and there and they are very quiet. I have tracked mine pretty hard though and they were decent. Of course they are not runflats and have very soft sidewalls..

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just curious does anyone have the Michelins. How do they ride. How much lighter are they than stock.

·
Registered
333 Posts
How about Pirelli?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.