Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At FBO, Im currently having clutch issues at the dragstrip due to clutch overheat. I have Alpha 9 turbos here already and will probably need to build the tranny soon.

What tranny options are out there?? Id like to overbuild it slightly in case I decide to go alpha 10 or Alpha 12 someday. Is there a tranny option that I could still be happy with daily driving but would handle the potential power of say, an Alpha 10??

Id prefer something that doesnt whine so much that I cant hear on the phone but I understand compromises must be made.

Is there anything that, for you guys that have done this, wish you did differently? or added at the beginning instead of later???

Shep, Ivey, Jacks??? Who offers the most driveable/raceable transmission for the best deal??

Sorry for all the questions. Ive checked the search but tranny buiilding technology has come a long way in a short time so I wanted some current answers.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I have shep 7 plate (since I say my target was 800 ft lb torque). It is the most user friendly as more plates less friendly but more holding power. Other items are billet baskets, circlips with all stock gears. It is a very good setup for A9 at most go to a 8 plate.

Since I got bigger turbos now, I will do the shep 1k, only downside is the gear whine for me as I like it stock quiet. Probably put sound deadening if needed. I have been into jacks 950 and the gears are very quiet.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have shep 7 plate (since I say my target was 800 ft lb torque). It is the most user friendly as more plates less friendly but more holding power. Other items are billet baskets, circlips with all stock gears. It is a very good setup for A9 at most go to a 8 plate.

Since I got bigger turbos now, I will do the shep 1k, only downside is the gear whine for me as I like it stock quiet. Probably put sound deadening if needed. I have been into jacks 950 and the gears are very quiet.
I have shep1k in my car. I don't notice much difference from my shep 2.5, but I do have a fair amount of sound deadening in my car.

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much power could a Shep 2.5 hold? I see they have the 8 disc clutches. Id imagine you could add a full gearset and mainshaft to it. Can it handle Alpha 10 power?

·
Hey girl, you got a soccer ball? Thought maybe we
925 Posts
Get the shep 1k with PPG gears and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
This topic has been beaten to death many times. They are all good that you mentioned. I personally prefer Jacks. So what ever you decide you should be good!

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get the shep 1k with PPG gears and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using GT-R Life mobile app
Do they ever go on sale??? LOL Im guessing its one of those things that I just have to bite the bullet and pay.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a 950 in my personal car which I have been driving on for a couple of weeks. Took it on a road trip with the family this weekend and it was flawless. We have a new trans with a bunch of new parts which need to be tested that the guys want to pop in my car and remove the 950, so I might be willing to sell my 950 now. Shoot me an email if you are interested. I'll work out a deal with you on it. It has an 18-plate clutch with billet baskets, all new updated synchro sleeves, Albins 1-6 gear-set and all TSB updates.

The 950 in my car is nearly completely silent. Clutches are also as smooth as a stock trans, but a large part of that smoothness is thanks to my tuner. I will likely be removing it from my car sometime next week.

Good luck!

Jack

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a 950 in my personal car which I have been driving on for a couple of weeks. Took it on a road trip with the family this weekend and it was flawless. We have a new trans with a bunch of new parts which need to be tested that the guys want to pop in my car and remove the 950, so I might be willing to sell my 950 now. Shoot me an email if you are interested. I'll work out a deal with you on it. It has an 18-plate clutch with billet baskets, all new updated synchro sleeves, Albins 1-6 gear-set and all TSB updates.

The 950 in my car is nearly completely silent. Clutches are also as smooth as a stock trans, but a large part of that smoothness is thanks to my tuner. I will likely be removing it from my car sometime next week.

Good luck!

Jack
I'm interested in this as well...LMK please?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm interested in this as well...LMK please?
OK, if Joe decides that he doesn't want it I'll let you know. Was going to let it go for $11,500 with core exchange. They sell online for $14,400. So that's almost $3k off for a trans I used for 2-3 weeks. Never raced it as my car has a mysterious fuel trim issue that has been killing us for the past few weeks, so I didn't even drive hard on it.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Stage 2 or 2.5 on full tilt e85 A9 works great or A10 on pump. Save the money IMO.

If you know your going bigger than wait for the A10x or A12x then go to 1k and future proof.

Big difference price wise though.

What's your ultimate goal ? ET? Trap? 60-130?

Most tracks at 150+ want full cage and chute at a minimum.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
OK, if Joe decides that he doesn't want it I'll let you know. Was going to let it go for $11,500 with core exchange. They sell online for $14,400. So that's almost $3k off for a trans I used for 2-3 weeks. Never raced it as my car has a mysterious fuel trim issue that has been killing us for the past few weeks, so I didn't even drive hard on it.
Great price, bet it won't last long !!!

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stage 2 or 2.5 on full tilt e85 A9 works great or A10 on pump. Save the money IMO.

If you know your going bigger than wait for the A10x or A12x then go to 1k and future proof.

Big difference price wise though.

What's your ultimate goal ? ET? Trap? 60-130?

Most tracks at 150+ want full cage and chute at a minimum.
My goal is to eventually get to Alpha 10. Realistically, that's probably a year away. I have the alpha 9 set up already, I just need the funds to build the motor. Currently, my car runs and drives perfectly fine. I just don't like having to up my cc's to + 6 or + 7 every time I want to launch it at the drag strip. I also don't want to break something as it will assuredly cost more money to fix once broken. The only way I would put a cage in my car is if I turned my car into a race car and had another car to drive around town and to car shows. I don't really see that happening as I love the GTR for doing those things.

·
Jack
45 Posts
Also looking for a trans for an alpha 9 . But also not sure what way to go . Also don't want to go small and only limit too 800 torque , would like at least 900 torque but also don't want to break the bank . So which trans is best value for money ?????????

·
Knowledge is recession proof!
4,212 Posts
I have my Drag 950 trans back at Jacks for some love. It's getting. New billet drop gears, FWD output shaft, and 20 plate clutch upgrades.

What do we call it now Jack? Drag 1200?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts