Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wanting it to go faster.

Got 1000cc injectors currently, running on 94 Octane. E85 is not an option.

How much torque can the factory engine 'safely' handle before bad things happen?

Anyone know the shop time to do an R&R on the engine?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
P800 or Alpha 9 for best response. GT800 for coolness

Check this thread for more info for dyno comparison on turbo kits http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?/topic/65929-dynograph-comparisonoverlay-thread/

on a serious note, if you had start off fresh..like stock GT-R, I would go for GT800, but if you already have bits and pieces modded in the engine..like suction pipes, downpipes, actuators, then just go for P800 or Alpha 9 as those are reusable.

time to drop engine is different shop to shop. roughly 3-5hrs

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Was gonna say 4 hours to yank the motor

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
I think somewhere around 10 hrs to remove the motor is the generally accepted time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Our bolt on GT28s in stock housings will be perfect for your setup. On pump gas with a proper tune your engine will be perfectly safe. A certain torque number will vary from dyno to dyno so I would recommend using a tuner who is familiar with the VR38 engine to prevent a failure.

·
LiMiTLeSs
3,220 Posts
P800 or Alpha 9 for best response. GT800 for coolness

Check this thread for more info for dyno comparison on turbo kits http://www.nagtroc.o...overlay-thread/

on a serious note, if you had start off fresh..like stock GT-R, I would go for GT800, but if you already have bits and pieces modded in the engine..like suction pipes, downpipes, actuators, then just go for P800 or Alpha 9 as those are reusable.

time to drop engine is different shop to shop. roughly 3-5hrs
For a full complete turbo swap is alot longer than 3-5 hrs. For someone experienced probably 20-25 hrs, no experience 30-40 hrs.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Vex performance in Calgary is doing mine this week. Alpha 9's. Call them and talk to Ryan. They're certified Cobb tuners and have a good relationship with AMS.

What part of Alberta are you in? The elevation/thin air in Southern AB will hurt your numbers significantly. I hope I don't regret not going with the Alpha 9 + set up.

Tell them Ryan sent you.

·
Registered
697 Posts
From what I've read 600 ft/lbs seems to be the edge of "safe" for stock bottom ends. Again, this is only what I've read. Others can share hands on experience. I know some have seen bent rods when pushed above 600. My engine only has 7000km's on it. I'll look at building the motor next winter if I want more than what I can make safely with the current set up. Of course then I'll be adressing the transmission too. $$$$$

Someone chime in pls.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in deadmonton, so the air is nice and thick here. Or is that diesel smoke?

@SpecG, Those graphs are fantastic.I wish they had plots from SiR AAM, or the other guy doing turbos.

@RacingFan, After looking at your kits, I'd end up throwing out the downpipes I just installed the other weekend, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts