Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just kind of found out about this race in Texas, that lets you run you car on closed public roads. Has anyone done this? I saw a SS GTR in one of the videos but no details. The route is 60 miles N to S, then after lunch they turn around and run back. I don't have a cage or a road racing license so I will be limited to 140mph tech speed and 125mph average speed, but sounds like it could still be fun. Would love to hear some first hand experiences though before I drop a bunch of money to run.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Heard about this one before . A friend of mine did it with his srt10

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you do the Big Bend or are you talking about Spectre 341? I know that is only a 5 mile course. This would be 120 miles?

Thanks,
Ryan

I've done one before. It was 4 days of waiting around for very little seat time. An open track day is more fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used to frequently run this race in my 911. It's a lot of fun and a great drive with a lot of great people.
How it works is kind of like bracket racing. You attempt to cross the finish line as close to the target time as you can. You do need a roll cage if you plan on going over 145mph. The worst thing I ever had happen during one of these events was hitting a rabbit just after the speed trap on the long straight. I was going close to 200mph and it blew the front bumper apart near the fog light on the driver side and worse still 2 years later when I sold the car, the guy detailing it found pieces of rabbit stuck in the engine and in front of the wheel well.
But other than that every event like this I ever ran was run without incident.
Here is a link to a site that has all the rules and details.
http://www.openroadracing.com/index.html

Pretty sure it's the same group that puts on the big bend race.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i have friends that have done it, and they can't wait for me to do it, two of them want to be my navigator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.