Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just thought I'd spark a bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread.

I bought my GT-R almost exactly one year ago, and around the same time I was mining bitcoin unsuccessfully on some free machines I had, but I had a very good feeling that once the bitcoin halving occurred the price of bitcoin will rise. At the time bitcoin was worth around $400 and it soared up to nearly $2,900 today which has sparked a lot of interest in cryptocurrency.

I have been following bitcoin for a few years, and have never invested. Cryptocurrency is very unpredictable. However, personally, I really don't see unregulated, instant, unlimited international currency transfer with low fees/costs going anywhere anytime soon. I have wired lots of money overseas, and with currencies like Ripple trying to work with banks to make international money transfers cheap and easy (especially in countries where it's not), I'm hoping cryptocurrency will set a new standard, but I'm afraid it may be limited due to its volatile nature.

Now, I'm not here to tout some baseless crypto currency price prediction, I don't have enough experience or analysis on any of the currencies to offer an educated opinion on them at all, but I still think it's an interesting discussion to be had.

I've been following Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple for about a month now and I can't tell if the market is just peaking on an over-hyped Bitcoin rise or if the world is becoming more open to allowing cryptocurrency to set a new standard.

I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts on cryptocurrency and it's recent price soars and your thoughts on it potentially replacing or at least taking a larger market share from the expensive and slow international currency transfer systems in place today.

·
Registered
398 Posts
We actually accept bitcoin as a form of payment ;) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't mind me asking, is it a popular choice for your store?

I'm adding bitcoin on my gaming site that sells virtual goods because it prevents chargebacks which are very easy for a buyer to win even if I've delivered their virtual goods with any other payment method. Many of my competitor sites use it and it's popular for buying any virtual goods because of the safety for sellers. Sellers can offer much lower prices (5-10%) in the virtual goods arena because of it. Ethereum is being accepted now as well by some of my competitors.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We actually accept bitcoin as a form of payment ;)

Excuse my ignorance, as I haven't looked at how bitcoin operates. How does that work for you to sell your goods? I see the rise recently with all the hype. Are you paid in, say .25 bitcoin? And with the constant fluctuation, what effects has that had? I mean, I understand foreign currency exchange valuations, but seldom if ever do they have a 25% change in valuation over a 24 hr time period. You could potentially have great gains, but also horrendous losses if the ceiling collapsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
969 Posts
I had a few several years back man would have been awesome if I kept them sitting around. I paid a few dollars for the coin at the time.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I invested a few grand into ethereum at its ICO. Today I can't tell you how happy I am I did.
Congrats man!

I just put $250 into ripple and got about 1,000. I think ripple is going to drop but if it doesnt I figured Id put in a few bucks now. I dont expect a 100x return or something crazy though. Might lose it all or maybe ripple will catch on and go up to about $1 in value. Will be a happy camper if it does.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've got a fair bit in crypto, mainly ETH, but also some in BTC and XRP. I have no idea what is going to happen to XRP, thought it would've gone up a lot more than it has !

There's a couple of ICO's I'm keeping an eye on coming up, and some moves with both BTC and ETH in the next couple of months which will be interesting.

Unfortunately I only got into ETH at $70, but a considerable amount so it's not doing too badly !

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've got a fair bit in crypto, mainly ETH, but also some in BTC and XRP. I have no idea what is going to happen to XRP, thought it would've gone up a lot more than it has !

There's a couple of ICO's I'm keeping an eye on coming up, and some moves with both BTC and ETH in the next couple of months which will be interesting.

Unfortunately I only got into ETH at $70, but a considerable amount so it's not doing too badly !
Yeah I was following the minexcoin ICO and rounded off my bitcoin as an investment. What others have you been following?

Also interested in Stellar Lumens as the only real competitor to ripple. It's pretty cheap right now and I believe one of them is going to take off. Probably ripple, but it really wouldn't hurt to get some lumens at 4cent a coin.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
What to hold in crypto:

- Stratis

- Sia

- Golem

- Maidsafe/Storj

donezo. year from today you have yourself a nice retirement nest if you dump 10-20k into these.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah I was following the minexcoin ICO and rounded off my bitcoin as an investment. What others have you been following?

Also interested in Stellar Lumens as the only real competitor to ripple. It's pretty cheap right now and I believe one of them is going to take off. Probably ripple, but it really wouldn't hurt to get some lumens at 4cent a coin.
Yeah I like the look of the low price ones just for the gains. Bancor is interesting, and I think ICN has some developments going on . . .

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What to hold in crypto:

- Stratis

- Sia

- Golem

- Maidsafe/Storj

donezo. year from today you have yourself a nice retirement nest if you dump 10-20k into these.
These are all good ones.

What makes you say those ones out of curiosity ?
I'd say he selected them because they are made to solve problems at cheaper prices than all current options. In addition, they have good teams backing them. I think they are good recommendations.

My top investments currently are:

• Ripple
  • Siacoin
  • Stellar Lumens
  • Golem
  • Monero

In order of most invested -> least invested.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Somewhere out there is a lost bitcoin wallet of mine with several thousand dollars worth and I will never be able to retrieve it. I remember buying like 2 or 3 for less than $10. I kind of remember writing it down on a sheet of paper, sticking it in my desk, and forgetting about it. At some point I threw it away. :cry:

1 - 20 of 515 Posts