Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I got a new 2012 transmission installed earlier this year under warranty. After 3000 miles and a modest amount of track use I replaced it and lost the sample (and yeah I should have replaced sooner). The first change included 4L Willall WR35TM, 1L OEM, and around 3L of Pentosin FFL4. I'm trying to save some money but have a blend that works well enoguh for the track. Note this sample includes about 2L of the original OEM fluid left over since I did not do a flull flush.

I also had three engine oil reports done with various mixes but not too different.

The only issue on the transmission appears to be insoluables at 0.1% - perhaps that was from the original fluid.

Total track miles on the transmission are about 900-1000 and the rest mostly a long distance roap trip. Temps did reach >290F on one weekend but not very high on the others.

Shawnhayes what do you think about the transmission fluid cocktail?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
John,

Excellent results all the way around. You are beating me at my own game. All of your concoctions have very low iron, lead, and aluminum.

STRONGLY recommend a transmission cooler, however. Despite the hardiness of the fluid, the seals may not be able to take the heat.

Also I recommend a pan drop and cleaning/replacement of the transmission filters. The insolubles in the transmission are likely those flecks you saw in my pan, which I insist must come out.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

Excellent results all the way around. You are beating me at my own game. All of your concoctions have very low iron, lead, and aluminum.

STRONGLY recommend a transmission cooler, however. Despite the hardiness of the fluid, the seals may not be able to take the heat.

Also I recommend a pan drop and cleaning/replacement of the transmission filters. The insolubles in the transmission are likely those flecks you saw in my pan, which I insist must come out.

Shawn
Good to know but yeah all the good results will be for naught if the heat kills the seals. I've been waiting for AMS to finish their cooling system they promised us back in June.. I'm not even sure I'll use it though since I have an extended warranty and don't want to void it, but I was hoping to see if the final product was worth the risk.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Good to know but yeah all the good results will be for naught if the heat kills the seals. I've been waiting for AMS to finish their cooling system they promised us back in June.. I'm not even sure I'll use it though since I have an extended warranty and don't want to void it, but I was hoping to see if the final product was worth the risk.
It's not. The HKS and Greddy will be installable/uninstallable if there are any problems and will keep stuff nice and cool. It will cost the labor, but that's okay.

Shawn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts