Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 50k fbo and turbo upgraded 09 GTR

the car started doing this after last oil change.

car dosent smoke on startup and dosent seem to smoke under normal driving.

hard to say on load because I'm on 94 octane tune, its hard to tell smoke color in the rear view mirror ;o)

it always smoked even on stock turbos.

I'm wondering about going with a catch can ?

we did a compression test and motor look fine.

any of you ever had that smoke appear all of a sudden ?

· Registered
3,285 Posts
gtrs do burn oil a bit so thats nothing crazy but you shouldnt really be seeing it its not that much. On decel usually means under heavy vacuum its pulling oil from somewhere either crankcase or through the valve guides/seals. I would first try setting up a proper catch can and see if that alleviates some of the symptoms.

· Warrant Officer
699 Posts
Yea someone correct me if I'm wrong, but blue smoke means oil burning, black smoke means fuel burning, and white smoke means water burning (bad).

· Registered
3,713 Posts
Have someone put a scope down there and look at the bores and also look for any wetness from oil.

Mine was doing this exact thing and it turned out to be the bottom end.

Compression test and leak down passed with flying colours.

· Registered
3,713 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
I'd not despair...you've done a leakdown & compression and they are good?

Get the car up on a lift, remove the mid pipe, have someone rev it while its up on the lift with midpipe off...see which side the smoke is originating in. If its on both sides that says a lot too.

· Warrant Officer
699 Posts
My engine is stock, but I put exactly 5 quarts of 0W-40 in (the big jug). The puts it ~3-4mm below the 'max' mark on the dipstick, and I believe that's the way Nissan delivers the cars brand new. I'm OCD about overfilling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.