Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You were given the proper advice, which was to swap tuners because your engine has significant knock (-5 DA) due to excessive ignition timing on 91 octane. I'm not going to provide further critique of this tune because it's not my job to do your tuners job when you paid him for his services. Swap tuners or don't swap tuners, your car and your decision.

Here are my most recent dyno results with SIR Gen2 GTX3071r on 93 octane pump fuel, stock engine.

View attachment 401652
View attachment 401653
Appreciate all you’re feedback.. Since ive been back here im kind of restricted with my GTR. We only have ONE GTR expert here, who builds, services, and tunes my car so I prefer avoiding ruining the relationship. If it's only tuning adjustments, I just want to learn so when I discuss with my tuner..i don't appear clueless. I did speak with him previously, and he said he can adjust but would drop the cars' power a little. Not much. I'll have him adjust the tune, one more time and test.

otherwise, my only other option is to go with an E-tune with someone not local .. But here's my question.. Will tuners be able to tune it correctly, given that we have 95 RON pump here?

Who Do you guys RECOMMEND??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
Personally didn't have any luck with e-tuning on ecutek but I'll admit that I'm a control freak. Also I drive my car all the time and it ran horribly with the e-tune and there was too much latency in having to send e-mails back and forth and wait for updates etc. The tuner basically has you by the balls from my experience. Maybe if you throw lots of money at them it will be better. I don't blame them wanting to work with the many high dollar builds that are out there versus my almost FBO nothingness......my $.02

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
What will you be able to turn those turbos up to on pump gas when you swap in your built longblock?
I posted those graphs so the OP could see how much ignition timing I was able to run on 93 octane with a 55mm turbine exducer. With 91 octane and a smaller turbine exducer I'm guessing he should be running 2-3 degrees less. As far as those turbos, I suspect they will hold around 30psi at redline.

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
^^ I ran 28/29 lbs on the A9+ without issue. Would think 30 is achievable.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sounds like your tuner tuned the car for a max Dyno pull. That's not the way to do it...
No point in some extra ponies on the sheet if that means grenading your engine.
Ron95 is crap.will not allow big power numbers. Can you get E85 at the pumpstation?

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sounds like your tuner tuned the car for a max Dyno pull. That's not the way to do it...
No point in some extra ponies on the sheet if that means grenading your engine.
Ron95 is crap.will not allow big power numbers. Can you get E85 at the pumpstation?
Yeah he did say the tune was for max power, and I've spoken with him and he's going to re-adjust the tune. We don't have e85, but I do have flex fuel and 2 maps to run C16, which could hit up to 30psi

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So did you ask for max power on the 91 octane map? Or he just tuned it like that? If he tuned it like that, you should go really move on from that tuner. I can’t even imagine the C16 map
i did ask for the most yes. it was time to feel the power difference over 6yrs of FBO. btw, first 1500+kms had no knock or timing pulled... only recently

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i did ask for the most yes. it was time to feel the power difference over 6yrs of FBO. btw, first 1500+kms had no knock or timing pulled... only recently
do you not understand the stupidity of what your “expert” tuner is telling you? He’s commanding excess timing that your engine can’t take causing significant knock, which is like a jackhammer to your piston and transfers that load spike to the bearing, potentially causing it to compress. When the bearing compresses it can lead to a spun bearing and a rod exiting the block. When it knocks, the ECM pulls timing to what you should be running in an attempt to try and eliminate that knock. Therefore, what have you actually gained in terms of performance when it’s constantly pulling timing? You run the amount of timing the fuel will allow and that’s it.

Reactions: archan and bse

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
do you not understand the stupidity of what your “expert” tuner is telling you? He’s commanding excess timing that your engine can’t take causing significant knock, which is like a jackhammer to your piston and transfers that load spike to the bearing, potentially causing it to compress. When the bearing compresses it can lead to a spun bearing and a rod exiting the block. When it knocks, the ECM pulls timing to what you should be running in an attempt to try and eliminate that knock. Therefore, what have you actually gained in terms of performance when it’s constantly pulling timing? You run the amount of timing the fuel will allow and that’s it.
I’m sure he didn’t literally mean “all power no safety” and keeping in mind our horrible gas and sometimes even getting a tank of bad batch, had that happen once. My build and tune is a copy of his A9…but let’s see, one last try uploading the revised map right now. Will try to get out on the weekend, test, log and post here
Computer Personal computer Laptop Output device Netbook

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I’m sure he didn’t literally mean “all power no safety” and keeping in mind our horrible gas and sometimes even getting a tank of bad batch, had that happen once. My build and tune is a copy of his A9…but let’s see, one last try uploading the revised map right now. Will try to get out on the weekend, test, log and post here
:rolleyes: I'm certain there is a formal clinical diagnosis that would describe what's happening here. It reminds me of a woman who falls in love with a man on death row. The woman knows he kills people, but she loves him regardless.

• Haha
Reactions: gtrbillet

·
Registered
2010 Alpha 12 GTR
12 Posts
I'm going to ask the obvious question here, how was your car tuned for max hp but you are still "breaking in" the motor? If it's been tuned at WOT, then it's broken in. A properly built motor needs a few heat cycles and an oil change, then a tune and it's ready to be raced.
As far as the tune goes, the answer has been given, drop timing until it stops knocking. If you drop timing and are still having knock event's then it's time to be more worried.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Not an AMS block, just the parts and rebuilt from an ams authorized shop. As for the break in, no had a different tune before the adjusted one which ive posted here with the issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
So it didn't knock or cut timing with the previous "break in" tune? Then you changed the tune and started having the problem? Doesn't this answer your question? Put the "break in" tune back in it and see if the knock stops.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So it didn't knock or cut timing with the previous "break in" tune? Then you changed the tune and started having the problem? Doesn't this answer your question? Put the "break in" tune back in it and see if the knock stops.
maybe because I wasn’t hitting boost. Issues only during boost

21 - 38 of 38 Posts