Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going back to the GTR and am curious about the radio. Since 2008 I was not impressed by the bose system. The changes i've heard was a new sub for 2012 and a USB for 2010. For those whom upgarded to a 2012+ can you tell me if the radio is much better? Are the speakers the same?

Thanks in advance.

·
GTR Hokie
375 Posts
I can't say for sure, but IME I've never been happy with any Blose system in any car. Although, I have to say that the one in the GT-R is much better than the one I had in my Z32TT and marginally better than my G. In short, I think it is safe to assume that it still blows.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't say for sure, but IME I've never been happy with any Blose system in any car. Although, I have to say that the one in the GT-R is much better than the one I had in my Z32TT and marginally better than my G. In short, I think it is safe to assume that it still blows.
Thanks for the encouragement. I actually will be satisfied if it's up to par with the Rockford Fosgate system on the Evo X.

·
GTR Hokie
375 Posts
i'm morbidly curious... what's your benchmark?
Good question. Since you asked I started to think about it and come to the realization that I haven't really liked any stock systems. With that said, I haven't really touched my car stereos. I am a bit of a home stereo audiophile. I'm not a big fan of Blose in general. Their home stuff IMO is better, but I wouldn't buy it because it is way overpriced and you can get better stuff cheaper. The Blose in the Z32 was HORRIBLE. The head units would fail quite often and have to be replaced. Then they used inline amplifiers with the speakers so it made it a (minor) pain to change out the head unit and keep the speakers. The speakers weren't great either so those were often replaced. The one in the G was OK and sort of similar to the GT-R. The system doesn't have the range I'm expecting. Then the sound quality between the different inputs also drives me up the wall. Actually, I think the radio in the G sounded better than the GT-R. I've considered putting in a different system, but I rather spend the money on modifying the car and listen to the engine and turbos instead

·
R36 Member
6,049 Posts
Good question. Since you asked I started to think about it and come to the realization that I haven't really liked any stock systems. With that said, I haven't really touched my car stereos. I am a bit of a home stereo audiophile. I'm not a big fan of Blose in general. Their home stuff IMO is better, but I wouldn't buy it because it is way overpriced and you can get better stuff cheaper. The Blose in the Z32 was HORRIBLE. The head units would fail quite often and have to be replaced. Then they used inline amplifiers with the speakers so it made it a (minor) pain to change out the head unit and keep the speakers. The speakers weren't great either so those were often replaced. The one in the G was OK and sort of similar to the GT-R. The system doesn't have the range I'm expecting. Then the sound quality between the different inputs also drives me up the wall. Actually, I think the radio in the G sounded better than the GT-R. I've considered putting in a different system, but I rather spend the money on modifying the car and listen to the engine and turbos instead
having worked with broadcast type audio and music production, I've come from hating everything that wasn't from a reference speaker to listening to less critical things when in cars/jogging/etc lol

·
Registered
601 Posts
The GT-R Blose is worse than the Blose in my 9 year old G35, and that car has workshop paper cone speakers. Sigh @ Nissan. I am no harcore audiophile but the clarity, bass, definition and balance is sorely lacking in the GT-R.

In terms of GT-R Stereo: Go on Amazon and order a SD --> CF Card adaptor and get a Wifi SD Card (like Eye-Fi) and you will be able to drag and drop MP3 files from your home PC/Mac to your GT-R at an instant. No more messing with CD or USB keys..... theoretically. I'll report back.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In terms of GT-R Stereo: Go on Amazon and order a SD --> CF Card adaptor and get a Wifi SD Card (like Eye-Fi) and you will be able to drag and drop MP3 files from your home PC/Mac to your GT-R at an instant. No more messing with CD or USB keys..... theoretically. I'll report back.
Interesting idea bur I think it only works if the car is on. Looking forward to your report.

I'm not a fan of the audio in my 2012. The range rover sport is worlds better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Personally I think the system in my 2012 is a real let down. I was excited for the twin woofers and the trunk acting as a bass bin....Meh.

The system crackles under loud volume (especially with an iPod) I wish it had a way to adjust the incoming volume which might help.

All in all I had 2 M3s before my GTR with the good stereo in them (Think it was Harmon Kandon?) And a 2008 Mustang GT with the middle range system without the subs in the trunk but with them in the doors and they all blew the GTR away.

BTW im realize this email screams like I am trying to hold a rave in my car this is not so. I like ALL styles of music.

I definitely hope they continue to make upgrades in the stereo department.

A good system should at least be able to drown out the sound of sirens to allow you to concentrate on getting away.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great guys I have a feeling it's simlar to the 2008 model which is terrible! I'm really hoping they improve for 2013. It better sounds better than the $395.00 368w infinity system on the Jeep Wrangler. For an almost 100k car they should put a decent clear radio with some bass since most of us are are still youthful here

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All in all I had 2 M3s before my GTR with the good stereo in them (Think it was Harmon Kandon?)
I had tested out the E92 M3 with the premium sound option. It sounds decent and clear. If the GTR is half as good i'd be satisfied. I recall the old 2008 gtr bose was comparable to the base Porsche sound package plus which is not that great.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The stereo is good....the Nav is awful....press a letter, then wait, and wait, and wait....press another letter, wait again....it's the absolute worst Nav I've had in a car....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The stereo is good....the Nav is awful....press a letter, then wait, and wait, and wait....press another letter, wait again....it's the absolute worst Nav I've had in a car....
I know the nav is way better than the Cadillac system on their STS-V from a while back. No touchscreen with dials and mystrey symbols.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.