Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
AL-BEAST
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So wondering whats up with my brakes? Almost brand new car and they squeak when applying brake pressure. Anyone have the same issue? If so what was the fix? change the pads etc...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
It's completely normal. GT-R stock brake pads are like this due to high metal content in the brake dust. You will get used to it. If you can't, there are other options out there for pads that I'm sure gtrlife members can recommend. This also been covered many times before in previous forums if you don't get any responses here. I'm actually fine with it as many race/high performance pads inherently squeak and I was expecting it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I couldn't take it so I bought the et500 front and rear pads, no more squeak but still get a lot of brake dust. Sometimes squeaks in rain, but not normally in rain do I can deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
240 Posts
As several have stated the stock brake pads are ridiculous. They simply aren't great by any standards (well good standards).

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

I've tried ferodo (2500s), Hawks (both street and track pads), "racing brake" street pads and my favorite are "project mu". As far as noise there is none, temps come up quickly, bite is great and linear.. It does of course produce dust but maybe 1/3 of what the stock did. It's more than enough pad for any street use but not enough for any serious track use (in my opinion).

Here's another link on brakes

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/index.php?/topic/114685-Anyone-running-RB-oversized-lightweight-brakes?/page__view__findpost__p__1613977

Anyone telling you this amount of squeal is "ok" or to be expected on a high performance car is simply being silly and has never had decent performance pads.

Nathan

Attachments

·
StingR
34 Posts
Nathan - Which Project MU pads did you end up going with? I need to get a set for the daily drive and will look into other options for track days.

As several have stated the stock brake pads are ridiculous. They simply aren't great by any standards (well good standards).

View attachment 104497

I've tried ferodo (2500s), Hawks (both street and track pads), "racing brake" street pads and my favorite are "project mu". As far as noise there is none, temps come up quickly, bite is great and linear.. It does of course produce dust but maybe 1/3 of what the stock did. It's more than enough pad for any street use but not enough for any serious track use (in my opinion).

Here's another link on brakes

http://www.gtrlife.c...ost__p__1613977

Anyone telling you this amount of squeal is "ok" or to be expected on a high performance car is simply being silly and has never had decent performance pads.

Nathan

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had similar squeal issue as my car only had 1400 miles when I bought it. I took it to track day at COTA and by the end of the day the pads are perfectly bedded to the rotors and no more squeal...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had similar squeal issue as my car only had 1400 miles when I bought it. I took it to track day at COTA and by the end of the day the pads are perfectly bedded to the rotors and no more squeal...
This will sadly last 75-100 miles or less of city driving (or if it rains).

I bed my brakes in and it would stop the squeal for a short while.. There are much better pads on the market than stock - unless you like brake fade, lots of brake dust and squealing.

·
94 Posts
In all the motorsports brakes we offer, we think EVO has a lot of similarity with GTR in how owners drive their cars - with "spirited" mode, that's how we made ET500 brake compound available for EVO, and if you check that community around you may be surprised how popular ET500 is over other brands, and same thing is happening in Mercedes community today.

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Racing Brake makes me happy [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]http://mbworld.org/f...tml#post5939978[/background]

In fact Southcoast Mitsubishi (Costa Mesa, CA) - The largest Mitsubishi dealer for EVO carrying RB brakes, and one of the items they don't want to miss on shelf is the ET500 brake pads

With our recent ET500 release for Lexus RC F (the brake complaint is not less than GTR), it receives the same welcome.

Rcf racing brake 2-piece rotor and performance pad upgrade
[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]http://www.clublexus...l#ixzz40uEiKyPI[/background]​

RB ET500 - The low dust, no squeaking, and easy modulation solution.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just switched to Project Mu HC800 and it is a massive improvement from stock. Just a little noise when cold, but they are mostly silent. Good cold bite and better heat tolerance than stock too. Similar to Endless MX72.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I use Carbotechs and just put up with the noise since the GTR spends most of the time going and coming back from the road track. My techs say "turn up the radio"

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I got j hook front rotor with pmu pad. Mine is squeaking so bad. Can anyone help me out. Its fine when I first drive in but bout 15 min into driving it it squeaking so bad that I even don't want to stop at red light

·
Vendor
2,775 Posts
Which PMU pads?

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Brake pads have a sliding scale. At one end is performance, and the other end is quiet. Pick your spot on that sliding scale. If there was a super high performance brake pad out there that didn't squeak at all, someone would be rich.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I find with PMU HC800, they squeak when cold but once warm they are almost silent. Also, bedding them with a few hard stops quiets them down a bit. However, they are nothing like the stock brakes, which squealed like a garbage truck no matter what the temp was. I am using Alcon rotors.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ive had enough of the squeak as well. I just got in Hawk Hp Plus front and rears today. Going on the car tomorrow. Ill give an update.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My brakes used to squeak very loudly. I don't plan on tracking so I installed hawk HPS pads a few weeks ago. Zero squeak now. Far less brake dust. Very happy with them.

·
gta88ws6
832 Posts
Bcuz racecar.

sent from my phone...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had annoying brake squeal (EwEEEEEE...... sound) put up with it for a while, nissan dealer keep saying it is normal. Well the squeal won't compromise the braking capability, but it is damn annoying. Your best chance is to change to quality aftermarket brake pads. I personally gone with the endless MX72 and it works great, still get some noises, but very minimal. As with any performance car some noises is expected.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have been running the kit from speed for sale for 5 months now. DBA Front and Rear Rotors with Hawk HPS pads. No more noise and as Formidable said the brake dust is pretty much non existent compared to stock. I am not saying you need to change your rotors but the pads are great for street use.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts