Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

i got my greddy T kit longtime ago and never had a problem. after upgrading my engine and tranny, i decided to upgrade the greddy from SP-E, AS I reached the max boost which is 1.8bar. i want more power and less heat from them.

Here is what i find when got them open.

What may cause it? any thoughts guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
That looks like a casting defect.. what kind of strap did you use? if you used t bolts they can be over tighten..and may eventually damage the pipe. normal straps however breaks before it can damage most casted pipes.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Did you have oil catch can installed? cuz those oil stains on the compressor inlet looks a bit dodgy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry to see that , but if u look clearly to the picture u can see that this turbo fell on the ground on that crack area , there no way on earth that these turbos will crack in that way from heat or any other thing other than falling and lack of care while installing . It clear in the second pic where the turbo is facing front.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sorry to see that , but if u look clearly to the picture u can see that this turbo fell on the ground on that crack area , there no way on earth that these turbos will crack in that way from heat or any other thing other than falling and lack of care while installing . It clear in the second pic where the turbo is facing front.
What an odd thing to say. You're either evil, or a genius. Or an evil genius.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
IMHO It doesn't look like fracture due to falling to the ground as there no marks of deformation on the inside or the outside of the elbow

We are talking about a ductile material which bends before breaking

It may have been a casting defect as SpecG mentioned as defects can propagate to a crack due to over clamping and creep

·
Registered
224 Posts
What an odd thing to say. You're either evil, or a genius. Or an evil genius.
Well i never ever saw a turbo break in this way even the cheap ones that people get from china or Thailand so i have no idea what are u saying this , if u look carefully u can see that from the crack side the edge is straight so something must of smash it there .

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
Well i never ever saw a turbo break in this way even the cheap ones that people get from china or Thailand so i have no idea what are u saying this , if u look carefully u can see that from the crack side the edge is straight so something must of smash it there .
I have no idea of what you are trying to describe.

·
Vendor
2,420 Posts
Hi everyone, i got my greddy T kit longtime ago and never had a problem. after upgrading my engine and tranny, i decided to upgrade the greddy from SP-E, AS I reached the max boost which is 1.8bar. i want more power and less heat from them. Here is what i find when got them open. What may cause it? any thoughts guys.
I sent you these images due to improper packaging when I have received these turbos. The box was damaged and these turbochargers were not securely packaged to prevent any damages.

More detailed images:

VS

Eugene @ SPE

·
Vendor
1,382 Posts
Seems pretty simple, whoever packaged the turbos for shipping did a subpar job and the elbow which is welded to the comp housing cracked due to some sort of trauma, perhaps they dropped the package or something. Hopefully that's the only damage.
Pretty common though.

Sean

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Those pics clearly show that the elbow has been under compression which made it crack

Initial pics don't convey how oval the outlet became due to the compression

I hope its an easy fix

·
Vendor
1,382 Posts
if housing is ok, cut off elbow retig elbow

Sean

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Saw this in our BBM group. So sorry to see this!

Good luck with getting it resolved!

·
Registered
148 Posts
We will contact SP to see if we can repair the damage. If the turbo was dropped to cause this damage, the housing might be damaged as well. If you are getting the SPE upgrade they will be able to machine the housing to make sure the wheel clearance is good and new elbow can be rewelded. Get with [email protected] and they should be able to take care of it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts