Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had my GTR for over a week now and it's just so much damn fun. It's lightning quick and there are so many after market tuners out there it's going to be just as much fun learning how to mod the car than it is driving it. I noticed there were a couple of tuning options out there, namely AMS and Switzer. Those seem to be the most popular ones.

As you guys know the GTR already has massive acceleration power. As seen on youtube even a stock 2012 can outpace many exotic cars twice it's price. But after about 3/4 of a mile to a mile, the GTR starts losing its legs. Anybody else notice this? Most cars lose to the GTR in a drag race simply because there's just not enough track. Races that go over a mile usually has the other cars outpacing the GTR. I realize the GTR is not a drag racing supercar and it's bread-and-butter is it's ability to corner and accelerate out of those corners on a track, but...

I live in Germany and you'd be surprised how often you get the chance to reach top speed or to get pretty damn close to it, even on public roads. Me and all the other 911's out there. My question is what's the best tuning that will increase my overall top speed, or at least get me to about 250kph the quickest? I don't know much about engines, but what I've learned is that torque compensates on the low end but as gears and RPM's get higher this is where horsepower counts the most. So should I be looking to get the most horsepower out of my tuning purchases in the future or should I be looking at other things?

Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
Gearing on this car is not made for top end, all you can do really is add more power.

I feel your pain, I came from an M6 which was all top end, that car was relatively slow off the line but above 80-100, that thing made me smile.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Die frage ist ja, willst du mehr vmax, oder die beschleunigung vorm topend?
beim zweiteren sehe ich mehr handlungsbedarf, denn die fahrzeuge befinden sich in den vergleichen wo die meisten konkurrenten aufholen immrtnoch in der beschleunigungsphase. ansonsten bleibt dir, wenn nicht bald alternativübersetzungen verfügbar sind nur mehr drehzahl aber dann auch dafür alle umbauten am motor, getriebe etc. die nötig sind um bspw 8000upm + entsprechendes drehmoment standfest zu halten

·
Registered
734 Posts
Tiny turbos is the reason. They REALLY run out of steam at higher speeds. Turbo upgrade really helps with that. Trust me, I did feel the car to be so sluggish at highway speeds. My solution was to make my own Alpha 10-like kit with tubular manifolds and GT30R HTA turbos and add JUN cams to the mix.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Die frage ist ja, willst du mehr vmax, oder die beschleunigung vorm topend?
beim zweiteren sehe ich mehr handlungsbedarf, denn die fahrzeuge befinden sich in den vergleichen wo die meisten konkurrenten aufholen immrtnoch in der beschleunigungsphase. ansonsten bleibt dir, wenn nicht bald alternativübersetzungen verfügbar sind nur mehr drehzahl aber dann auch dafür alle umbauten am motor, getriebe etc. die nötig sind um bspw 8000upm + entsprechendes drehmoment standfest zu halten
The question is yes, wilt thou more vmax, or the acceleration form more top end? On the other I see more need for action, because the vehicles are located in the comparisons where most competitors immrtnoch catch up in the acceleration phase, but otherwise remains for you, if not soon alternativubersetzungen available are only more speed but then also to all the renovations on the engine, transmission etc. which are necessary in order to ie. 8000rpm + marked with non-sag to hold torque

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
It's simple. You need more HP. Top speed of a car depends on overcoming air drag. GT-R has low drag coefficient but high frontal area. As you cannot improve either of those, you simply need more power to overcome power loss due to moving air molecules out of the way quickly enough. Since high top speed means you are nearing the end of the rev range, it also means you need a lot of torque at high RPM, which is the same as saying you need a lot of horsepower. Torque at low RPM will help to accelerate the car through the gears, but once you are in top gear, as the RPM builds and speed builds in lock step, you need that high RPM torque.

And if you ignore the standing start part where traction and low RPM torque count, what you need is high torque between the RPM points determined by the shift points and rev limit. Since RPM will not drop below a certain minimum once you are past 2nd gear, it is torque above the shift RPM that counts for high speed.

On a GT-R, shift RPM is about 5500 RPM from 3rd to 6th gear and rev limit is 7000 RPM, which is the range where you car about what torque you have. Top speed in 6th gear is going to top out at about 318 kph or 198 mph assuming you have enough power to reach rev limit in 6th gear. If you want to go faster and have the power to do it, you will need to either change final drive ratio or increase rev limit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! So I'm going to start off with something small like the Alpha 6 since I just blew almost my entire load on the 96k GTR purchase. Seems what I suspected. More HP. I just thought there was a more clever way (i.e. cheaper) of acheiving more top end speed.

Seems like all of AMS's stuff is geared towards pre-2012 shit. Have they tested their kits on 2012's yet?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks! So I'm going to start off with something small like the Alpha 6 since I just blew almost my entire load on the 96k GTR purchase. Seems what I suspected. More HP. I just thought there was a more clever way (i.e. cheaper) of acheiving more top end speed.

Seems like all of AMS's stuff is geared towards pre-2012 shit. Have they tested their kits on 2012's yet?
I could be wrong but I think their kits will work the same on 2009-2011 GT-Rs and the 2012's.

·
Registered
667 Posts

You need turbo upgrade.
Car much faster than stock tuned turbos.

camera car stock 2011(2012 usdm) EDM GT-R

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
I could be wrong but I think their kits will work the same on 2009-2011 GT-Rs and the 2012's.
All of our ALPHA packages are 2012 Friendly
The recent ALPHA 12 vs Twin turbo Gallardo video was actually a 2012 GT-R

Feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me direct at 630 549-8903 and I would be happy to talk over options with you

We also have a great dealer in Germany that sells all of our ALPHA Packages, in fact we just took an order for an ALPHA 9 from them:

Autohaus Brömmler GmbH (GT-R Parts and Service)
Münsterstrasse 27
48341 Altenberge
Germany
www.broemmler-motorsport.de
Tel. +49 2505-9320-0
Fax +49 2505-9320-44
[email protected]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All of our ALPHA packages are 2012 Friendly
The recent ALPHA 12 vs Twin turbo Gallardo video was actually a 2012 GT-R

Feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me direct at 630 549-8903 and I would be happy to talk over options with you

We also have a great dealer in Germany that sells all of our ALPHA Packages, in fact we just took an order for an ALPHA 9 from them:

Autohaus Brömmler GmbH (GT-R Parts and Service)
Münsterstrasse 27
48341 Altenberge
Germany
www.broemmler-motorsport.de
Tel. +49 2505-9320-0
Fax +49 2505-9320-44
[email protected]
So what with an Alpha 6 package can I expect about a 120 HP increase over my stock 530? What about if I combine this with the Cobb Access Port?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts