Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Building Engine

4K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Nls0789 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, but have owned an 09 for a couple years. I would like to build my own engine and would like some recommendations regarding components. My build will not exceed 1000whp, my target is actually 900whp. I'm also looking for a tear down / torque spec manual. Nissan for that? I am capable of buying direct from both JE and Manley, so I'm looking for any reasons why It would be recommended to buy from ams or such shops over going direct. Any information would be very helpful. Thanks.

#3 ·
900-1000 is all pretty basic if you want it to be. Forged pistons, rods. New topend gasket kit, factory head bolts, sir stage 2-3 or equivalent turbo and all supporting bolt ons.
Have a machine shop spec the motor assembly.
There are tweaks that big shops have but really its in the big builds where it really matters. Stock topend is fine unless u want more power.
Trans should be upgraded to handle at least 700-800 lbft. Trans brace, sticky tires.
Your looking at around 15-20k in upgrades without going to a big shop and doing half of you own labor. A good portion of the budget is the trans upgrade.

~Dv8

#5 ·
Thanks man, I have almost all the bolt ons with the exception of the ams intercooler / piping and alpha 9s. My buddy owns a state of the art engine machine shop, so the machining is no issue. We can order the core internals direct through his account with JE/Manley , but my main concerns is with the differences between the off the shelf JE pistons compared to the custom ams pistons as well as the rods.

I plan on contacting shep about my tranny,

#7 ·
So I eccentially have 5 rod choices,

Forged Performance Manley I beam Turbo Tuff http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/product.php?productid=18374&cat=533&page=1

AMS Performance http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/ams-nissan-r35-gt-r-vr38-extreme-duty-upgraded-connecting-rods.html

And the ones I can get direct
1. std 4340 part# 14424-6 "not sure if this is the same as forged performance"
2. 300m lightweight 749gram part# 15425-6
3. 300mheavyweight 812gram part# 15524-6

I'm not opposed to the ams providing they make sense for my particular build. I have no intentions of ever seeing over 1000hp, so there for it might be overkill for me. Does anybody know anything about these rods and have any recommendations? I'l do the pistons next.

#8 ·
I personally use Carrillo rods. They're approx 100grams lighter per rod than the Manleys. I match them with a CP piston.

The Manley pistons run looser piston to wall clearances so your motor will be a little noisier if you use them. JE uses even greater clearances.

#11 ·

Code:
<br />
[URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oInFaPWmNUk&amp;amp]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oInFaPWmNUk&amp;amp[/URL];list=SP247A78FE0A95CF3F<br />
link to playlist on youtube (copy paste it into browser) this is from NickTO
Thanks man, do you happen know of any tear down manuals with torque specs? I'm also curious as to what clearances work best for this engine.

#12 ·
Good luck with build. Wish I had the time to attempt something like this.

#15 ·
Depending on Turbo selection stock cams can be used. Or you can get lesser of a turbo and get some mild or medium kelford or tomei cams. It is very much recommended you do the whole Ferra valve train upgrade with cams. In total, it was an extra $2500 I really couldn't justify for the power gain.

~Dv8

#17 ·
What kind of power are you making with your alpha 9 kit on pump and e85? I was also told you don't need cams for this power level, but not opposed to them if it will help me to reach my goal. If I do need cams, I would want something mild with a smooth idle.

The turbo kit will be next on my agenda, but wanted to just focus on my engine build for the time being.

#22 ·
You may want to check out my complete engine build thread. It's probably the most comprehensive build presented on the forum.

Let me know if you have any questions or needs as I can supply you with most of the parts and information you need.

Build Thread link: http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/64782-gotboost-performance-engine-trans-buildthe-gbp-900-kit/
Hi Dave, thanks for your input man! I see your using cp pistons and Carrillo rods too. I've been told JE pistons have a lot of piston chatter, what has your experience been with you cp pistons. Also, why did you choose Carrillo over Manley and cp over JE? I also see your running a mild cam, what kind of benefits have you noticed? Lastly have you had any experience with bills stage 3 turbos? Or do you have other recommendations?

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
Fortunately my buddy happens to own a state of the art engine shop with every modern machine needed
He will blue print and balance the rotating assembly for me.

They're really shouldn't be much machining on the block with standard size pistons. Most likely a cylinder hone and ensure the line bore is correct. Maybe some on the crank depending on the bearings and balance. Just need to be sure the tolerances are right on. Be nice to know what someone with more experience has to say about it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.