Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys may laugh at me and this question may be stupid.

Okay im in college as we speak getting my RN degree.
I was wondering with this degree would i make enough to own a gtr and a decent house?
No kids. I will start out making 28 an hour where i am currently working now as a nursing assistant.

When i get out of school ill be working 3 days a week, 12 Hour shifts. 28 an hour. (Which will eventually go up).

Please let me know if this could cover a GTR.

I currently drive a Nissan G35. I love it. But ive been dying to get my hands on a GTR. And i dont want to wait until im an middle aged man to buy one.

Thank You.

-dykel

One like this ^ :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you buy used and have money to put down you should be fine. GTR + house also depends on where you live and pricing. Imho

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
IMO the answer is absolutely not....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Er no, unless you want to join the rest of over committed America.

·
Registered
297 Posts
52 weeks x 40 hours x 28 bucks = 58k.

Not even remotely enough to purchase a used GTR and a home. Buy your home while prices are still in the toilet, then start saving etc and get a few raises before you think about the GTR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after a while the pay eventually goes up to 30-35 an hour. Then other hospitals making about 80k and up a year. This is just where im working now.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Well after a while the pay eventually goes up to 30-35 an hour. Then other hospitals making about 80k and up a year. This is just where im working now.
you should seriously take a business class before you get out of school.....seriously

$80,000 Gross income equates to $70,500 taxable (standard deduction).....Federal income taxes are $13,750....Social security/ Maedicare is another $4,520....for arguments sake you live in a state with no income tax.....you're left with $61,730 which is $5,144 net dollars a month....even less if you have state taxes....

if you can figure out a way to buy a house, pay all you utilities, cable electric, etc.....put food on the table.....and have money left over for a GT-R with insurance and maint please enlighten us.....

·
Registered
417 Posts
you should seriously take a business class before you get out of school.....seriously

$80,000 Gross income equates to $70,500 taxable (standard deduction).....Federal income taxes are $13,750....Social security/ Maedicare is another $4,520....for arguments sake you live in a state with no income tax.....you're left with $61,730 which is $5,144 net dollars a month....even less if you have state taxes....

if you can figure out a way to buy a house, pay all you utilities, cable electric, etc.....put food on the table.....and have money left over for a GT-R with insurance and maint please enlighten us.....
Hmmm, buy a single wide for 30k , high mile GT-R for 50K and you should be good. Oh and get a 2nd job to cover the cost of tires, breaks and service.

IMO buy your house 1st (can't pass up the price/rate for a house, you may never get this chance in the housing market again) then get a car that fits your budget.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well shit... I think i might change my Major. I want Nice, Nice. Things. I live in North Carolina. What do you guys do to afford such a nice car?? Give me some ideas.. Maybe A business class can change my path and lead me to a more.... brighter career.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't know how much houses are there, but I think it comes down to what you spend on a house and your mortgage payment plus how much you'll be able to put down on a car and house. Obviously if you save enough for a down payment for both you can do it, but it will take time to save. Get settled in a job first, then look at making a big purchase. That would be my advice.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Well shit... I think i might change my Major. I want Nice, Nice. Things. I live in North Carolina. What do you guys do to afford such a nice car?? Give me some ideas.. Maybe A business class can change my path and lead me to a more.... brighter career.
I went to school for 10 years to be able to afford my toys......

·
Registered
297 Posts
Dude seriously in this economy......be happy to get out of school and have a job. The days of people going to school and coming out and making 6 figures is pretty close to over. There are a lot of guys on here who are in their 20's and can easily afford the GTR....thats great. But its not the norm in the world anymore. Don't make a mistake that your going to pay for, for a long time.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You don't need to buy your dream car is fresh out of school. You might be able to afford a used one, but if you wait a few years, you can save some money out of school. The value of used GTR's will go down as well in a few years, and you should be able to buy one without stretching too much.

As far as buying a home, buying is a bit overrated. He's young. He doesn't know how long he's going to live there yet. For now you can save money on cheap rent by living with a roommate or a one bedroom apartment. Personally, I don't see the home I'm living in as an investment. The first rule is that it's a place to live in. If it goes up in value, that's a bonus.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You don't need to buy your dream car is fresh out of school. You might be able to afford a used one, but if you wait a few years, you can save some money out of school. The value of used GTR's will go down as well in a few years, and you should be able to buy one without stretching too much.

As far as buying a home, buying is a bit overrated. He's young. He doesn't know how long he's going to live there yet. For now you can save money on cheap rent by living with a roommate or a one bedroom apartment. Personally, I don't see the home I'm living in as an investment. The first rule is that it's a place to live in. If it goes up in value, that's a bonus.
Ya but its also a nice tax write off.

·
WHITE NINJA
4,183 Posts
im 28 i have a G37 coupe im not rich at all but i have always saved money for cars and dont mind spending most of my savings on them its what i love some LOVE cars more than others i do have a mortgage tho that is more important but CARS are right next too obviously if you live in an apartment block DONT GET IT but otherwise FCKK IT I SAY DO it im getting a used one 09-10 premium not spending more than 50K and trading my G37s coupe manual searching as we speak GOOD LUCK IN THE SEARCH FOR GODZILLA

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Yeah i believe i will start off in an apartment. Then save alot of cash for a few years then get me a GTR down the road. Ive just been so anxious to have one.
Having one at 19 would be awesome but id have to hit the lotto to do that haha.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I, myself never spend money I don't have. I never use a credit card, unless I have money in the bank to pay it off. My first rule is, why let someone make money off you, just because they are loaning you money. I am sure my CC company is piss at me for not making a dime off me, plus giving me all this 1% cash back. Save your money, live how you want to live. Once the money builds up, then buy what you can afford. I don't think buying a house at your age is good. Wait until your married then start thinking about buying a house then. By that time you SHOULD have a double income to pay for the house. If I can give one advise in life is, "Don't spend money you don't have" I have seen a lot of my friends get into a hole so deep, and now they can't get out of it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
this is always my favorite debate. debt isn't a bad thing when used properly but I don't think the income stream that you're talking about is enough to have a house (even an appartment) and a gt-r. I was making 70k a year when I bought my m3 but I was still living with my parents at 23. Fast forward 2 years with 120k salary and have a nice home and a gt-r. I jumped into the housing market because I wanted to get in on low interest rates and a lul in the market (yet to be determined) and stop throwing money away on rent. If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have bought the house and stayed in an apartment. While it might be a 'good' investment, I'm pretty transient and being single I don't really use the extra space.

It's hard to plan out life when you're younger (I tried) but setting your eyes on expensive toys isn't the right option. Take the position and see how much disposable income you actually have to help determine what you can afford. You might want to try moving into an apartment and see just how expensive it actually is living on your own.

If you want expensive toys, you might want to consider a change in professions. I'm not saying you won't make good money as an RN, just there is a reason why most of the people on this forum are in finance, IT or are doctors. Not saying an RN can't afford a GT-R, just that things like brakes and other services add up quickly to the total cost of ownership.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts