Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,

First tread here.

Very actively looking at one Alpha 10 GTR MY14 and I would like to get your opinion.

I am looking for advice what to watch for and thoughts and experiences about the reliability and longevity of the AMS built cars.

Car has been made in AMS in Chicago in 2017, before being shipped to Europe in 2018.

Currently, it has 7k miles on it and the following the full AMS Alpha 10 package, as well as the Sheptrans upgraded gearbox. Previous owner has added HRE 20'' Performance wheels, full sound isolation, upgraded custom sound system, new Bilstein suspension, Overtake dry carbon hood, roof, side panels, trunk and wing.

Car is tuned on Cobb accessport, dynoed at 850whp (on a hot day).

I am located in Europe and AMS cars are never to be seen here, asking price is 71k USD.

So, if you reached here, as I mentioned, I am looking for thoughts and experiences (I am wondering if I should pull the trigger).

Thanks for everyone in advance for answering!

PS. I also hope this car is not only a dragstip car, it will occasionally be driven in town and tracked.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am not a GT-R expert but I have had my eye on the market for 2 years and have owned my '15 for a year now. For a 2014, with probably $60k in mods AND only 7k original miles for $71k, seems like a steal to me. Assuming it has a clear title/history and wasn't wrecked, this seems like a very attractive sale. If this were in the US when I had purchased mine, I might have bought this one instead, assuming all the details you shared are true and accurate.

One thing that seems a bit off is the 850whp....an Alpha 10, should surpass 950whp even on pump gas I would think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
What I was able to find was that car was clear in the US.

Checking with insurance companies in Europe, I was able to find that it has been in accident - they had to replace front bumper, right fender, intercooler and some other bits from the front. What encourages me is that the hood has been okay (maybe not too serious accident, but rather a loss of control). Insurance still paid a lot, but I assume that those parts are expensive.

I am attaching a bad photo of a Mustang dyno for the car. Maybe they would have gotten better result should they revved it more.

That car was originally marketed at 107k USD, then dropped to 95, then 83 (during worse Covid period in Europe) and I was able to push it further down to 71. It is 4th or 5th vehicle in the family and nobody is driving it, I feel they just want the money.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you have the list of mods?
Feels like low power for an Alpha 10.
Wierd that they stopped at ~6500 RPM. Did you get a reason for that?
It's not a clean title which will scare of some buyers so that's worth considering as well.
Hi Archan,

Thanks for your input.

I have the following list:

- AMS Alpha 10 Turbo kit;
- Alpha VR38 3.8L Crate Engine;
- AMS GT-R Ferrea Cylinder Head:
- AMS Alpha camshafts;
- AMS Alpha 10, Stage 4 Sheptrans transmission, upgraded with Dodson and PPG components;
- Alpha Race Downpipes;
- AMS FMIC;
- HKS Legamax exhaust system;
- TiAL QR Blow-Offs;
- AMS Alpha Induction Intake Piping;
- AMS 76mm High-Flow Intercooler Piping;
- AMS 90mm Resonated Mid-pipe;
- K&N Intakes;
- AMS Map Sensor Upgrade;
- AMS Spec 1300cc injectors;
- AMS Alpha Fuel System Upgrade;
- Cobb Access PORT
- AMS calibration maps - fuel and ethanol;
- Full soundproofing
- Custom audio system Dynauto with 1600W
- Bilstein suspension;
- Pandora alarm system;
- Overtake dry carbon roof, pillars, trunk and spoiler
- HRE Performance 20'' wheels

About reaching only 6500 RPM, they mentioned something their towards the Dyno having some issues.
As far as I know, Mustang dyno will usually show lower numbers, compared to Dynojet (official AMS numbers are on Dynojet, I believe). Took it for about 3 hour testdrive and car pulls pretty well after 6k RPM.

About the title - over here we have no official way to follow what happens with a car (unlike in the USA where you see almost everything).
Officially, nothing has ever happened with the car and there is no history of incidents. I ended up using personal connections with the insurance company to get details about what has happened.

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
It is an alpha 10 and not a 10x right ? Seems about right for power on a low octane.

The older 10s are old tech and very laggy. If the motor is in good shape, you can always swap a set of primes on it.

Seems like a decent price, especially for EU.

Grab it and have fun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is an alpha 10 and not a 10x right ? Seems about right for power on a low octane. The older 10s are old tech and very laggy. If the motor is in good shape, you can always swap a set of primes on it.
Hi, thanks for your input!
As far as I know, it is a 10 (not 10x).

What do you mean by "set of primes"? Sorry, not up to speed :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Primes are new tech turbos. Excellent spool and power.
I'd also consider Linneys G30+ series turbos since you are EU based.
Pull the triggar or PM where it is and I might pick it up myself and do a turbo swap hehe. (Also Europe based)

Oh and don't forget to get the complete service history. Big builds require proper maintenance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Primes are new tech turbos. Excellent spool and power.
I'd also consider Linneys G30+ series turbos since you are EU based.
Pull the triggar or PM where it is and I might pick it up myself and do a turbo swap hehe. (Also Europe based)

Oh and don't forget to get the complete service history. Big builds require proper maintenance.
Hi! Thanks for the explanation.

I am looking to get some documentation for the car, as it is very little, probably the service history will start from getting the car onwards.

Any suggestions for Accessport e-tunes? I would rather have someone check it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to thank everybody who participated in the tread.

Getting the car tomorrow - finally we settled on a bit lower price than the $71kUSD with added second set of suspension, Cobb accessport, Carbon hood, rear bumper and mirrors. Insured and ready to go.

I accept wishes for safe travels and healthy engine, transmission and turbos :)

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
Excellent and welcome to the family.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank a lot everyone!
Special thanks to Droptopp, who made me feel very comfortable going through the research and review of the car prior purchase.

First days of owning GTR feels amazing. F*ck it's quick...

I promise to upload few photos soon.

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
Awesome man congrats.

Be safe !!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.