Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to buy new car soon. It will either be a GTR or an F10 M5. M5 comes with 2 year warranty. GTR will be without warranty, because official dealer is located too far away from me (in my country you need to service GTR only at official dealer to save warranty). Are there any frequent failures associated with GTRs? I know that transmission costs too much to replace :( I think that if I will buy a GTR I will always "be afraid" to drive it really fast. I will always slow down to cool down transmission and engine and do other preventive things... I just like to drive, and to think about driving, and not about "something is going to break" if you know what I mean. Currently I drive an Evo X with basic boltons. I do with this car what I want to do with it, 90% of the time I drive it like I stole it. It's reliable and if something is going to break - it's cheap to replace. I'm confident in Evo. And will be confident in M5, atleast for 2 years
Either GTR or M5 will be stock. I use my cars very aggressive on street and on tracks, in summer +30C or in winter -20C
If only GTR was available with simple 6speed serviceable manual transmission... But it isn't. And something in my head is telling me, that a complex dual-clutch gearbox out of warranty is a money pit... Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Is there any performance shops that could do gtr maintenance around you? What is your location? There are many owners without any broken transmissions at all. Those who do have issues send there's to be fixed to dodson Certified repair shops or other performance shops that can do the work. Anyone u know of that has a consult 3 and gtr card? That would probably help too. I couldn't tell you the Percentage of people with problems and without because not all owners post on the internet and those that do don't always report what they have been through. I'm guessing its a rather LOW percentage. You could buy a gtr and send the transmission to bulletproof it from the start and get the minimum work done to it for safety and reliability in a stock or close to stock gtr. I don't think the cost is that huge just call dodson or shep and talk about it with them about what's needed and the cost.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
If unable get any of those done as MO pointed to, then maybe the M5 is a better deal. Warranty intact and you still get a very quick twinturbo sedan (though not GT-R quick)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any performance shops that could do gtr maintenance around you? What is your location? There are many owners without any broken transmissions at all. Those who do have issues send there's to be fixed to dodson Certified repair shops or other performance shops that can do the work. Anyone u know of that has a consult 3 and gtr card? That would probably help too. I couldn't tell you the Percentage of people with problems and without because not all owners post on the internet and those that do don't always report what they have been through. I'm guessing its a rather LOW percentage. You could buy a gtr and send the transmission to bulletproof it from the start and get the minimum work done to it for safety and reliability in a stock or close to stock gtr. I don't think the cost is that huge just call dodson or shep and talk about it with them about what's needed and the cost.
I live in small town in Russia. I know a performance shop with consult 3 and GTR card. I service my Evo there. Sending transmission to USA is not an option for me

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are shops in Russia that can do gtr and gtr transmission upgrades... I would do research to see. Call dodson motorsports and see if they have a shop they know of or recomend in russia. its good to know a gtr can be at least serviced near you that's very good.

Would you purchase a 2012/2013 or an earlier used model? The guys from dragtimes.ru had ams and switzer and sponsors build them cars before they were imported over sea's... You may be able to do that opinion and have trans built before importing it or find one already built and in Russia.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm pretty sure there are shops in Russia that can do gtr and gtr transmission upgrades... I would do research to see. Call dodson motorsports and see if they have a shop they know of or recomend in russia. its good to know a gtr can be at least serviced near you that's very good.

Would you purchase a 2012/2013 or an earlier used model? The guys from dragtimes.ru had ams and switzer and sponsors build them cars before they were imported over sea's... You may be able to do that opinion and have trans built before importing it or find one already built and in Russia.
Looking for a newest model GTR (2013US). I will not modify the transmission. Buying a brand new 140k$ (price for GTR here) car and immediatly tinkering with it is not for me. I like modding... but not that much. I really like performance of GTR, but lack of warranty is swaying me more towards the M5.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought my 2012 without warranty also (imported from the USA). I guess ill just care for it properly and not run her too hard. ;-)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
there are shops in russia that could upgrade a gtr transmission. if you say you dont like buying a new car and directly modding many things and if you drive it very hard 90% of the time (+ track events) a GTR without warranty is not an easy decision. I think to take the choice, you should consider that braking a transmission or dif is something that could eventually happen, and if having to pay a new one is an option for you or if you really want to avoid it. in any case, if you have -20 in winter, I dont know if M5 is a good idea because of the rear wheel drive, get an RS6!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts