Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've tried talking with Top Rank but was not provided any help. I'm currently in Japan with my 1995 BCNR33 and will be relocating likely to California in the near future. I've reached out to G&K about the compliance work but they said my car needs to be 100% stock. I knew the car needs to be relatively stock but not 100% stock. While I'm in Japan, I've been doing everything I can without touching the long block and fuel system because of CA Compliance work. I thought that would be good enough but was wondering if folks have experience to share or can point me in the right direction. I've tried asking this on SAU's forums but not much luck there. I've only done tasteful modification to the car by Nismo Performance Center Tokyo including an Nismo R1 turbo kit, HPS elbows, RSR front pipe, and a MINES VX ROM tune (original ECU). Next I want to do a Nismo intercooler and intake collector. Basically I'd like to replace everything attached to the longblock while in Japan. I would be installing a stock ECU for the compliance work. I specifically got a 1995 since OBDII is required for 1996+. I'm just wondering if I'm going beyond the limit that G&K will take for getting my car in compliance. I'm worried they'll see the intercooler and collector and say no way without even giving it a chance. They said don't worry about the exhaust system so I'm not worried about the elbows down.

Any help would be appreciated. I haven't been able to find a CA Skyline forum or fb page that I can tap into. If I can't get it in compliance then I may have to go down the Montana LLC route but I'd really like a CA plate to not have any worries. Thanks!

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a 95, you don't have to meet the OBD2 issues facing other cars. You should be able to find someone to smog it for you.
I wish it was that simple, but the car still needs to meet California Air Resources Board requirements. It costs about $10k for the conversion and they have to weld on different cat converters and whatever else they do, then lab test it so it gets a Bureau of Automotive Repair sticker. Then it can be smogged... This is a California-only thing.

A bit of info here but shows the BAR sticker...https://www.gtrusablog.com/2015/11/first-california-legal-nissan-skyline.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked through the G&K process as well and now looking to other options like opening an LLC in other states.
Oh yeah if you have a 1997, I think you'd need to install a OBDII system which hasn't been figured out. 1995 doesn't need that but my car is modified for reliability which apparently means G&K won't touch it. I'm learning towards your train of thought though regarding an LLC. G&K is also $10k.

Let's hope we get plates in the future, one way or another.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts