Nissan GT-R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
For those of you having to go back to stock for smog in California make sure you get your 15 cold starts in and more than 200 miles driven on the stock map or you will not pass.
bc8f20a1a362cab6a85dd82ab1a4575d.jpg

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
Your not in California, are you? It looks like you are in North Carolina. No way they are as tough as in Cali. I specifically asked about Cali and that is what they told me. If they do work, that would be cool,
The ECU doesn't know what state it's in. It reads rear o2 sensors, and reports its o2 and catalyst readiness state accordingly.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The ECU doesn't know what state it's in. It reads rear o2 sensors, and reports its o2 and catalyst readiness state accordingly.
Correct, the rear O2 sensors output a 0-1V signal and the ECU looks for that signal to be in a certain range letting it know the cats are functioning properly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’m in California, and we originally thought you had to drive a minimum 100 miles but after trying to run the car at a smog check point it didn’t pass. So I’ll be putting another 100 miles on it today.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You only need to log 200 miles and 15 cold starts, if there's a permanent DTC triggered. You need a mode 10 capable OBD scanner to see P-DTCs (Cobb AP doesn't show it, not sure about Ecutek).

If another CEL / MIL get triggered while clocking 200 miles / 15 cold starts - you'll need to clear it and restart 200/15 from the beginning.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm in California, and we originally thought you had to drive a minimum 100 miles but after trying to run the car at a smog check point it didn't pass. So I'll be putting another 100 miles on it today.
I drove 200 miles and it did not work for me.I saw this video and it worked really quick.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
I drove 200 miles and it did not work for me.I saw this video and it worked really quick.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Video you're referencing is to get emission I/M monitors to set ready (CAT, O2, O2 Heater, EVAP, Secondary Air, etc). There is a very specific drive pattern / cycle for each I/M monitors to toggle from incomplete to ready. I've used the 350Z drive cycle posted in this forum and was able to get all I/M monitors to set ready in about 30 miles. It's taken others few hundred miles - really depends how closely you follow the drive cycle.

You have to treat P-DTC's differently. My last smog check, even though I had all I/M monitors in ready state, no MILs, no CELs - still failed, since I didn't know P-DTCs were stored (can't pull them with Cobb AP). At that point, logging 200 miles / 15 cold starts allows CA Smog to take exemption and pass the test. Doesn't necessarily mean you've actually cleared the P-DTC (mine was still there after 200/15). Your ECU (OBD) will log exactly the number of miles and cold starts - so as long as you don't trigger any new CEL/MIL during 200 / 15 - this will address passing smog due to P-DTC. Again, this is assuming I/M monitors are all in ready mode - if not, may have to drive more miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now that the changes have gone into effect in CA, has anyone been sent to the ref or had luck spoofing the codes?

·
Registered
79 Posts
What we really need here is a modern "Game Genie" - a MITM device we can wire into the harnesses to intercept and rewrite signals relevant to these checks. First off, that would require the interceptor piece to map what they read and in what order to effect a scan... ditto an unmodified (other than the interceptor) car. Once the signals are mapped, there are several ways to overwrite outputs back to the scanner when a scan is detected. What ever happened to "right to repair" anyway?

·
Registered
12 Posts
What we really need here is a modern "Game Genie" - a MITM device we can wire into the harnesses to intercept and rewrite signals relevant to these checks. First off, that would require the interceptor piece to map what they read and in what order to effect a scan... ditto an unmodified (other than the interceptor) car. Once the signals are mapped, there are several ways to overwrite outputs back to the scanner when a scan is detected. What ever happened to "right to repair" anyway?
Any electrical engineers our there? I'd contribute to a gofundme page to get this going.

·
Registered
569 Posts
After seeing a) the stiff penalties for the VW diesel scandal and b) the extreme litigation against aftermarket ECU tune companies, something like this is a surefire bet for hefty fines and possibly jail time.. I doubt anyone would risk it.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
This is coming to other states.............. Pay attention....... Wish I still owned a condo in Montana...

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
This is coming to other states.............. Pay attention....... Wish I still owned a condo in Montana...
Colorado is one of those states. Group buy on land in Montana anyone?

41 - 60 of 70 Posts