1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
62 Posts
Shouldn't this be at odds with right to repair laws? So long as you're not polluting more than the emissions standards deem lawful, you should be allowed to repair and optimize the software you bought.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Shouldn't this be at odds with right to repair laws? So long as you're not polluting more than the emissions standards deem lawful, you should be allowed to repair and optimize the software you bought.
While that may be the logical conclusion, in this case it sounds like even if you do pass emissions, they're going to fail you anyway for a non-approved tune. CA will do whatever it wants unless it's peepee gets slapped by the courts.

I'll go as far to argue that vehicle emission tech has become so efficient, that emissions testing isn't even needed anymore. No one is going to convince me that out of the entire driving population, a few aftermarket tuners and enthusiasts are suddenly going to bring back the smoggy death clouds of yesteryear. It's not about pollution anymore, it's all about compliance and revenue generation now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The absurdity of this practice needs to be challenged - its spreading rapidly as its going unchecked and private companies are usurping state functions for profit and without any liability or recourse for damages (the asshats in MA got hacked soon as they took on the job, and now nobody knows how much/who's data is gone - contrary to data privacy laws in the state). I thought the corporate profiteer types were supposed to be anti-regulation, not rabidly overshooting regulatory requirements on a whim...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in CA so I just bought a 2018 Gtr with full bolt on ( ECUTEK tune, Catless downpipe, flex fuel, fuel pump etc) from out of state. now I need to get it smog, anyone know what’s the cheapest way to get it done? My local shop told me I have to put everything back to stock….

·
Registered
197 Posts
You have to go back to stock, then 15 cold starts and drive at least 200 miles for the system to reset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
I remember having to go back to stock injectors, downpipes and MAF to pass. Fingers crossed current solutions stay in place.

Field narrows substantially for cars that would excite me if they must be left stock.

Best of luck to you CA guys/gals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts