Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,449 Posts
There is a thread on here of an AMS tuned car with AMS stage 1 cams on a stock engine. I'll try an find it. Mid range and top end was beefier.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i found the alpha article . but he added meth and fmic. I am trying to see if anyone has just done a cam swap alone . I will look into labor and see if this test might be cost effective.

·
Super Moderator
3,449 Posts
I am trying to see if anyone has just done a cam swap alone .
That might be hard to come by. The FMIC would not really "add" that much power per se. and the meth tune is no different than running race gas or E85.

If you want to do cams on a stock turbo'd GTR then I would think that injectors, intakes, exahust and FMIC are in order

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That might be hard to come by. The FMIC would not really "add" that much power per se. and the meth tune is no different than running race gas or E85.

If you want to do cams on a stock turbo'd GTR then I would think that injectors, intakes, exahust and FMIC are in order
yeah but from 93 pump to adding meth could be the gain .. i really didnt want to factor in the fmic or pipes .. but adding the meth would be a big factor vs just using pump .

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?/topic/67541-worlds-first-ams-alpha-7-well-probably-note-disclaimer/

here is the alpha7 thread. in post #13 he says the difference between the two lines on the graph are...
The changes were the alpha fuel rail kit,
Aquamist methanol injection kit, AMS
induction kit w/intercooler from just
gotboost 3" intakes. So I made a few
changes that overall helped the setup but
zeroing in on one exact change isn't totally
possible. Of course the methanol injection
along with the inter-cooler really brought
more reliability to the setup. I want to do
pumps next.
so the lower line is without the meth and intercooler if that help.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?/topic/33346-ams-custom-tunes-the-gtr-on-our-awd-dynojet-results-inside/
on this thread you can see a dyno chart from ams with a stock tune and modified. here is a direct link to the picture. the lower line is the stock pull...
http://amsperformance.com/amsperformanceimages/3/GTR-93oct-StockvsAMSCustom.jpg

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
i found the alpha article . but he added meth and fmic. I am trying to see if anyone has just done a cam swap alone . I will look into labor and see if this test might be cost effective.
Incremental labor to do the cams is very cheap in conjunction with an engine build. To do just that the cams would be massively expensive - engine R&R, remove heads, etc. My guess would be more than 25 hrs of labor. Probably not worth it as a stand-alone.

·
LiMiTLeSs
3,224 Posts
You think its worth it to do a cam swap at the same time you do a stock modified turbo swap since the engine is down?

·
2,495 Posts
Incremental labor to do the cams is very cheap in conjunction with an engine build. To do just that the cams would be massively expensive - engine R&R, remove heads, etc. My guess would be more than 25 hrs of labor. Probably not worth it as a stand-alone.
the guys who did the Jun cams said it only took them 17 hours

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
on stock turbos, it aint worth it....if you're doing aftermarket turbos, then yes. But, you might as well build the motor while you're in there too then.

·
Registered
187 Posts
the guys who did the Jun cams said it only took them 17 hours
17 hours in shop rate terms you are looking at 1700-2000 in labor alone. Add another 5-7 hours and you are looking at a full engine R&R.

Just like most OHC cars, the amount of labor it requires to do a cam swap vs the power you gain might not worth it. But if the engine is out then hell yes might as well swap out the cans since it pretty much is out anyways.

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Morning man,

As I said over PM the limiting factor at this point would not be the cams. If you picked up anything at all it would be VERY minor, like less power than you would get from just going with a FMIC. We have made over 1000 whp on stock cams, so what that tells me is they are flowing pretty well.

We charge 16 hours to do just a cam install with nothing else. So that means with cams and labor your investment would be 2500-3500 dollars. The cost vs. gains benefit would not be worth it at all IMO.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
What kinds of gains have you guys seen with aftermarket FMICs on a "maxed out" stock turbo GTR?

Do you think going from 2.75" intakes to 3" intakes is worth anything?

Thanks for the info.

Morning man,

As I said over PM the limiting factor at this point would not be the cams. If you picked up anything at all it would be VERY minor, like less power than you would get from just going with a FMIC. We have made over 1000 whp on stock cams, so what that tells me is they are flowing pretty well.

We charge 16 hours to do just a cam install with nothing else. So that means with cams and labor your investment would be 2500-3500 dollars. The cost vs. gains benefit would not be worth it at all IMO.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
A great deal of it really depends on the cam itself.

I bet a mild cam would pick up about 10-15whp... however the cost to do would be high with the cost of cams and labor. You would also want to look at springs. So far we attempted to install two different cams from two different companies that said "upgraded springs not required" but both had problems up top with the cam and springs had to be added to clean up the powerband.

We recommend springs with EVERY cam install

Eric

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Totally different than the evo's I guess. On the Evo a good set of cams stock turbo was a significant gain. Maybe the gtr cams just need more testing to get a better grind for more power. It's still relatively new platform to where extensive testing hasn't been done yet. IMO

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Totally different than the evo's I guess. On the Evo a good set of cams stock turbo was a significant gain. Maybe the gtr cams just need more testing to get a better grind for more power. It's still relatively new platform to where extensive testing hasn't been done yet. IMO
Very different then the Evo for sure. You will start seeing restriction on an Evo with stock cams @ 400 whp if not less.

~Cicio

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.