Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody ..
Marry Chrisms

Am starting since one week ago to rebuilt and upgrade to HKS GT800 Level, every things is fine, but i have confusing for some points:

1- The Camshaft am planning to use it is Kelford stage 1. as the tuner & builder said will be feel the power on the low-middle RPM level, if you go to the bigger stages I will be feel the power on the last number of RPM. Some friends have GT800 said to me to go only with HKS camshaft step2 kits.

2- Regarding the Turbo Titanium Shield, its have any problems for the turbo in the futures, you now its keep the heat in.
This is the link: http://www.designengineering.com//category/catalog/component-specific-productst/t4-titanium-turbo-shield-kit

I need to decide .. i need your recommendations also for any auther features. my car using 95Oct fuel pump and C16 Racing Fuel.

Regards,

·
Frenchy
203 Posts
Whatever you decide check for piston clearance ;-)
AMS alpha cams will be more than fine and they'll also be able to tell you what fits or doesn't.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Whatever you decide check for piston clearance ;-)
AMS alpha cams will be more than fine and they'll also be able to tell you what fits or doesn't.
very good point. I had to machine the surface of my pistons so that they would clear the oversized valves when i first got my engine from boost logic.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I'm wondering if cams would improve a stock turbo application, w/o sacrificing where the power starts coming on. It did work on Evos, but not certain if it makes sense on our cars...

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
I'm wondering if cams would improve a stock turbo application, w/o sacrificing where the power starts coming on. It did work on Evos, but not certain if it makes sense on our cars...
Upgraded amshafts would definately improve even a stock turbo GT-R. I think many people are reluctant to do cams on a stock block/stock turbo car, simple because the labor is quite high especially if the valve springs need to be changed and clearanances checked and adjusted. I typically recommend changing cams while doing an engine build, as the labor is significantly less.

That said, some mild cams do not require a valve spring or retainer upgrade, in which case we could change out the cams and adjust valve lash in about 2 days work or so. At the end of the day, you'd have to decide if the effort would be worth it. I might be more inclined to recommend this approach if a turbo upgrade was also in the mix. Putting camshafts on a small stock turbo will typically yield more mid-range improvement (increased duration allowing the cylinders to better fill with air) which is something that you might not want with the stock turbo. More food for thought.

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
Just do mild cams but upgrading your valve train is must if you want to rev up high without problems. Anything too big will cause greater overlap, which will end up losing engine efficiency; hence, loss of top end power.

I have gt800, too. PM me if you need help.

·
Registered
333 Posts
+1
At first, I was going to do cams as well. But since it will take like 2 days to do so, I am contemplating and considering of doing it together with the engine build/swap. However, if the difference is significant like upgrading cams on Evos, I will definitely do the cams because when I put cosworth 272 to my evo8mr while it is with stock turbo, there was a significant difference. If the improvement is significant on the stock turbo gtrs, I am doing cams. So I would really appreciate some more info or advice on this. Thank you.

·
Vendor
2,420 Posts
For these smaller frame turbochargers, Tomei 256/264 or JUN's 264/264 will be efficient enough.

·
Registered
333 Posts
^ Thanks for your info. Yes, my plan was to do Jun 264/264 as well. But I just want to make sure the improvement is significant as in you can feel the difference when you drive the car.

·
Vendor
2,420 Posts
What type of gains would you see from cams on a stock turbo GTR? I have downpipes, 90mm exhaust, 3" intakes, 1000cc injectors on a 2012 GTR. Any estimates on gains with cams for my setup?
I really don't have any data using stock turbochargers (motor tear down needed to be installed). All builds we've done were with turbo upgrades and a built long block.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
HKS has cams also.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gentlmen.

HKS D&R Dpt. Make alut of resarch for the best timing and size, to have best result and save way for the live engine they built special camshafts, if you compar it with the authers you will see some defrent.

For my GT800 turbo upgrade i use HKS step 2 postins&rods with fit bairings, hks camshafts step2 with Ferreri vulves and retuners.
I think For my plane in the futuer if i upgrade the turbo tp GT1000, in this time no need to open the engine againe! !

·
Registered
697 Posts
Does anyone have any dyno results with an Alpha 9 and cam vs one without? Or can any builders chime in with a realistic expectation of typical gains to be had on an Alpha 9 build?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I read 40-60whp and a longer power banD up in the high revs

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.