Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just got back from a local dealership here in Seattle, and I am mulling over everything in my head. Trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger and upgrade my WRX to a GT-R. I think I've pretty much decided that the answer is yes, but I have two random questions for you current and past owners.

1) Do you miss the manual transmission? Every car I've had in the last 8 years has been a true stick and I am not sure how I feel about flappy paddles. Do you guys still feel as much of a part of the driving experience even without the clutch pedal/stick?

2) I'm not sure if I would be able to get a GT-R into my parking garage at my condo. I can drive straight down it in my stock-height WRX, but I know that the GT-R is a bit lower. Last thing I want is to get my brand new car and not be able to get it into my garage... I'm looking at brand new ones so understandably I'm guessing they won't let me just take it home real quick to test it out and add up miles. Thoughts on what I can do to make sure I won't be scraping the crap out of the front bumper/underside of my brand new GT-R every time I leave or come home? Here's a few photos of my ramp into the garage:
Thanks all, looking forward to hopefully joining the family soon!

·
Registered
63 Posts
For the ramp you should be fine. You can also get a skid plate to attach to the bumper from stillen for extra protection. Also I would recommend keeping your other car if you can. Although you can daily drive it I choose not to just because I have a golf tdi manual that can take all my daily driving tasks and the ride isn't as brutal. Plus it get 45 miles per gallon. One thing I do notice is the car is so damn fast I actually enjoy not having to deal with the clutch. In every way it acts like a manually. It rolls backwards on hills. In race mode it will let you over rev if you choose to. Really is an absolute blast. Mine is a 2009 so your experience in a 2016 may be a little different.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the ramp you should be fine. You can also get a skid plate to attach to the bumper from stillen for extra protection. Also I would recommend keeping your other car if you can. Although you can daily drive it I choose not to just because I have a golf tdi manual that can take all my daily driving tasks and the ride isn't as brutal. Plus it get 45 miles per gallon. One thing I do notice is the car is so damn fast I actually enjoy not having to deal with the clutch. In every way it acts like a manually. It rolls backwards on hills. In race mode it will let you over rev if you choose to. Really is an absolute blast. Mine is a 2009 so your experience in a 2016 may be a little different.
Thanks for the insight, I didn't even think about getting a skid plate. Good idea. It's wide enough of an opening for two cars to pass each other so I can definitely get sideways if I need to.

I would LOVE to keep the WRX, but unfortunately I only have one parking spot. Everywhere around me is just 2-hour parking so I'd be constantly moving the Subaru whenever I'm home and that sounds like a nightmare haha. And it only gets 19-21 mpg on premium gas anyways. My commute is 25 miles round trip so I won't be putting a ton of miles on it.

Thanks again for the thoughts!

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I had the same issues and I kept my manual transmission 370Z and got some Bridjit ramps for my rolling curb at home. (not as bad as your issue though!) Not sure a stock GT-R could not scrape on that incline...

·
Registered
706 Posts
it will, install a stillen skid plate, get some race ramps and put them in the trunk until you can install a lift system on you car. Currently there are a few options made for the GTR: KW lift system. Umbrella VRH. Roberuta lifter kit.

GTR min. ground clearance iirc is 4.3 inches while the lambo gallardo is 5.0.

As for the manual shifting, I don't miss it, probably because I live in NYC traffic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it will, install a stillen skid plate, get some race ramps and put them in the trunk until you can install a lift system on you car. Currently there are a few options made for the GTR: KW lift system. Umbrella VRH. Roberuta lifter kit.

As for the manual shifting, I don't miss it, probably because I live in NYC traffic.
Yikes, that's really low. When I get home I'll take a pic of my WRX at the base of the ramp and will post another picture.

I'll look into those lift kits, are they basically just air ride kits to boost up the suspension a few inches when I need it to?

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
It will be close. It might scrape, but won't be terrible. You will most likely scrape the bottom at some point anyway if you get the car. Going in and out or gas stations, 7 elevens, etc.... I definitely think you should go on an angle and not straight...

·
RED MONSTER
1,796 Posts
I would say no.

I met with an incline that was less steep and I still touched it. You could try going sideways but very very slowly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
FWIW I just looked and my WRX has min. ground clearance of 6.1"

Guess I need to go measure to see if I can afford another 1+ inches. I am trying to search around online and am having a hell of a time finding a factory number from a reliable source for what the min ground clearance is on the GT-R.

edit - found the Nismo (http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/2015-nissan-gt-r-nismo-first-drive.html) at 4.3 inches, is the Premium or Black the same suspension setup?

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
For me, shifting in any car gets old after about 30 minutes. I don't see myself ever not having a non-DCT car (last 2 Bimmers were DCT). It's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well here's my clearance in my stock-height WRX. First 2 pics are coming down the ramp into my garage at an angle and the last 3 are going up the ramp out the garage at a straight on. According to Edmunds the min ground clearance on my WRX is 6.1"... Looks like I'll have a difficult time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IT FITS! NO SCRAPES! Woohoo, proud to be a member of the club as of last night. Picked up a '15 Premium with 1800 miles on it

·
What is six times nine?
1,277 Posts
Great - congrats!

·
Recovering Mod-a-holic.
71 Posts
Congratulations. Beautiful, I love that color.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Very nice. Terrific color.

I recently had dinner with a guy who owns a very large car shipping company (ships cars for most manufacturers both domestic and import) and when he saw my car he mentioned that it is the car that gives them the most trouble due to the very low front end. Said he personally likes the car but that it is a pain for them.

K

1 - 20 of 35 Posts