Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have run several 11.12 - 11.15 runs in various density altitudes up in Bowling Green, KY (I live in Nashville). My best run is below which was after driving 625 miles that day to run a street night back in Richmond, Va with my dad. Density altitude on that run was just over 1,100 feet. My 60 ft times seem to be holding me back (typically 1.68 and up). May be open to a midpipe if that would give me a tenth. I think the lowest density altitude I have run in was around 300 to 500 feet.

·
Founder/Admin
26,155 Posts
yes i think like you said its all in the 60ft.... a stock 2012 is capable of a 1.60 60ft and a [email protected] 1/8th which should put you right at the edge of 10.99-11.00

you might have read my other thread but i ran a 7.006 1/8th at 102.9 with a 1.63 60ft... i added a midpipe and ran a [email protected] with a 1.60 60ft... there is no question that 2nd run was a 10.9XX the 1st run bone stock could have possibly have been as well i think both of those were at about 900 DA .... so yeah its possible... with a midpipe no doubt.... weve already had a member hit 10.9 with midpipe and catback... and his 60ft and 1/8th were no better than what ive done or seen others do stock...so yeah on right night getting off the line with close to a 1.60 60ft ... very possible and pretty much guaranteed with a midpipe

next time try launching in R COMF R

·
Super Moderator
3,572 Posts
A tune will do it. But if you're going to be completely stock, try adjusting tire pressures for best 60' and lower the weight in the car (less than 1/4 tank). Also, stage SHALLOW.

Alexd

·
Founder/Admin
26,155 Posts
yeah tune will definitely do it but that defeats the point in my eyes and is overkill if your goal is to just break into the 10's like it seems he wants to do.. .... once you tune the car it opens it up to a whole new standard of what is and isnt a fast time compared to other tuned GTRs ... if you do it tuned its almost so what a 2009 can do it with a tune.. the real accomplishment is to do it stock or at the very most just some bolt up exhaust work like a midpipe or exhaust for better breathing maybe even drop some high flow filters in.. and at the very least tire pressure and pay the guy at the track to put down a extra coat of VHT lol.......

to me once you go tuned and take it to that next level you get lost in the endless sea of all the other tuned GTRs

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you think a different set of tires would do it?? What are you using right now???
I have the stock summer Dunlops

·
Registered
88 Posts
A tune will do it. But if you're going to be completely stock, try adjusting tire pressures for best 60' and lower the weight in the car (less than 1/4 tank). Also, stage SHALLOW.

Alexd
I actually had my wife drive it for 2 passes since she is about 80 lbs lighter and she went a bit slower - my 11.12 vs. her 11.22

I always shallow stage the car - what tire pressure should I try? - I have dropped as low as 29 or so but typically run it as it drives on the street around 31 - 32 psi

·
Super Moderator
3,572 Posts
Try maybe 27 in the rear tires
Agreed. I would use that pressure in the front too; I believe the extra traction outweighs the lessened rolling resistance, but that's just my theory.

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,572 Posts
I actually had my wife drive it for 2 passes since she is about 80 lbs lighter and she went a bit slower - my 11.12 vs. her 11.22
Assuming a LC launch, either she hasn't run the seat forward and isn't "quite" holding the pedal to the floor the whole run (because of leg-length). Or she's tardy in getting her foot totally off the brake. Teach her, and she must beat your time...conditions being similar.

Alexd

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
As usual great info from you guys. Here's question : If the front tires and back tires are unequal in PSI could that trip the tire pressure sensor and restrict LC? I like Alexd's idea of dropping the pressure in all 4 tires.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Ok that midpipe thing caught my attention! I see that some midpipes replace the Cat converter. That's going to fail my GTR with Emission testing I assume unless I put the stock setup back in place before testing.
I do see that Mines has a midpipe with a cat converter. I like the mines setup since I wouldn't have to worry about passing emissions. Any thoughts ?
Also is a high flow air filter any help? any thoughts about K&N vs Mines? Huge difference in price.
Thanks as always
Barry

·
Founder/Admin
26,155 Posts
As usual great info from you guys. Here's question : If the front tires and back tires are unequal in PSI could that trip the tire pressure sensor and restrict LC? I like Alexd's idea of dropping the pressure in all 4 tires.
its not a big deal either way having the rear a few lower wouldnt be an issue...but all 4 of course works too

·
Founder/Admin
26,155 Posts
Ok that midpipe thing caught my attention! I see that some midpipes replace the Cat converter. That's going to fail my GTR with Emission testing I assume unless I put the stock setup back in place before testing.
I do see that Mines has a midpipe with a cat converter. I like the mines setup since I wouldn't have to worry about passing emissions. Any thoughts ?
Also is a high flow air filter any help? any thoughts about K&N vs Mines? Huge difference in price.
Thanks as always
Barry
a regular midpipe wont throw any codes that are looked for during inspection... so your good like that only issue would be if they are strict and do a visual inspection. as far as the sniffer test it would be marginal as it still has the downpipes which do the majority of the emissions work.... here in NC ive had a midpipe on GTR for 3 years anf they just look for if your car is throwing a code it seems

as far as drop ins the mines are K&N with metal brackets just like triple the price so get the K&Ns

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
thanks MC

·
Super Moderator
3,572 Posts
Thanks as always
Barry
Remember that there are catalytic convertors in BOTH the downpipes as well as the mid-pipe. So replacing the mid-pipe ONLY with a non-catted aftermarket type, is unlikely to be a problem (and throws no codes).

I've been told that at most, low-restriction replacement air-filters are good for 1-2 HP. And, that K&N's type, although good, is constructed in such a way that one of its competitors offers more filter area, and thus passes air better. (I'm not down on K&N; I use them on other motors)

Alexd

·
Vendor
3,045 Posts
The only 2012 that I have seen go 10s without a tune was mikewads car. However that car had a y-pipe and catback just before the Cobb came out for the 12.

As has been said a y-pipe and a tune is the way to get reliable / consistent 10s

~Cicio

1 - 20 of 28 Posts