Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my car fixed with a hole in the passenger side inner boot. They replaced the whole axle as well. I was warned by my dealership that the springs may have been the culprit and if it were to happen again, the springs may cause static for a second warranty fix. After just 40 miles, I found another hole in the driver side this time. Too coincidental to be just failing boots so I can't help to think it is the springs. Also, can I assume Nissan will deny this fix? Swift rs by the way, on a 15.

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
The only thing I can think of where the two would be related, is that maybe by lowering the car it's changed the angle of the axel slightly. Just stick your head under there and see if the boot looks like it could come in contact with something. By lowering the car could also change the distance that the body travels in up and down motion but I don't see where that would impact the boot any.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using GT-R Life mobile app

709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also forgot to mention, it's a pin hole, not a rip. Both times. That eliminates the contact question, which I assumed at first too.

709 Posts
Double post..

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I read somewhere is to place a dab of gorilla glue over the pinhole and that might save u some time.

It will also prevent grease from getting all over the wheel wells.

·
Knowledge is recession proof!
4,212 Posts
I read somewhere is to place a dab of gorilla glue over the pinhole and that might save u some time.

It will also prevent grease from getting all over the wheel wells.
Dabbing Gorilla glue is a good idea. The leakage is usually from a pin hole and not a linear tear. Clean it up and find out, it may save you A LOT of money. The defect is not usually caused by lowering springs, but the installation of the springs. Most knowledgeable shops will use some type of rope to keep the axles up when removing the suspension. And others will just have them drop down which will cause excess angle/stress to the boot. Hence the tear, etc.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I recently found this exact same issue on my driver side. Found grease everywhere, then discovered a very tiny pin hole in the boot. Taking car to dealer to see what they have to say about this, hopefully it's covered under warranty. I am dropped on Swift Spec R's btw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts