Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Can the GT-R be stolen?

13K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  vividracing 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I'm planning on installing viper's 5902 system with flcan and tilt sensor for my GTR over at best buy. I use to be their HP rep so the manager was willing to do the install for free even though I did not get the parts from bestbuy. He asked if I wanted the smartstart with gps as it's a GTR, and he is willing to give me employee price on it. Don't know the price yet as I told him I'll get back with him when I make a appt. So i wanted to know if it's worth getting the smartstart with gps.

Also:

Anyone heard of GT-R's being stolen? (Main question)

Can the GT-R even be stolen? (Sometimes I would leave the car ruining and go inside the house but the key is with me, I always wonder if the car can be driven without the key. If someone can chime on this also that'd be great.)

Can anyone with the Viper GPS tracking and smartstart chime in?

I know that the smartstart via cell tower connections is sort of a hit and miss depending on where you live but that is fine with me.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't think you need to spend the $$ to install another alarm onto it...if they want it, they will just tow it, but no, the car can't run without the key in the area for a set amount of time...

Personally, if they towed/stole my GT-R, I would just have my insurance pay me and not even want it back...

#3 ·
Yes the car can be driven without the key, but once you turn it off it won't start again without the key, I think the only way to steal a gtr would be to get in one that is already running or tow it.

I don't know that I would let best buy do the install on your car, I would look for a shop that has GTR experience.

#4 ·
Not so sure about the car not running without the key, I've driven my wife's Murano without the key a few times and they are both Nissans. I often will let it run with its like 1000 degree's outside and I'm just going in to get a case of beer. I just press lock on the key fob.

#7 ·
An oldtime forum member's car was stolen about 2 years ago. I think they found out it got shipped to Russia never to be seen again...not sure of the exact story but bottom line, the car was stolen.

#8 ·
+1 on towing it if they want it. I'm sure they don't have many gtr's in Alaska so the odds of your car being stolen are probably much lower than most. Auto start has to be a must where you live. Has that best buy does a lot of high end installs? My experience on aftermarket alarms is I hate them. Owned the top model vipers in the past and have them on much less advanced cars done by great installers and never did not have to come back at some point or another because something was messed up. There were always people wanting with me getting there's fixed as well. It was always some part of the alarm that failed. It sucks not being able to get in or start your car or having that damn thing go off for no reason. Never again.

Have you considered low jack? The good one has a hidden gps that will track your car and page you if it's moved.

#10 ·
I don't know if Best Buy in Alaska ever done high end installs but the manager is going to get his best people at it if I decide to get it done there. I don't mind the second alarm as my main reason was to get the autostart and why not get the autostart with alarm for the same price as just the autostart.

I looked at low jack and other companies but read that you can't track your car with low jack, only the police can. As for other companies I have not yet looked at it and currently looking.

#9 ·
Alarms are a waste of money....if they want it they'll take it....

#14 ·
I have the viper alarm system and smartstart. I once parked in a area and my car got towed. I called the Viper alarm people and they helped me out with it's location. Just be careful of where you park and always for for any type of signs that may be hidden.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
What would happen if you were driving on the interstate at 65+ mph and someone in your car grabbed your key and threw it out the window... would it still run?

Also, I got an alarm with tilt sensor after my wheels were stolen. Definitely not a waste of money as it comes with an LCD remote that alerts me if the alarm trips.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
If the GT-R is like my now sold Infiniti G37 it will start when the vehicle recognizes the signal transmitted from the key fob. Once started the car will continue to run regardless of if the key fob is present or not and will do so until it's shut off or runs out of gas. Food for thought if you leave your car running while leaving the car to make a quick trip somewhere.

If someone throws the key fob out on the Interstate you will at least make it to where your going!

What kind of people do you drive with lol?

#17 ·
after they took my wheels i put in the top of the line viper alarm, with tilt sensors and motion sensors in the car and remote start and the iPhone app. This way if they even try to jack up my car or anything it will let me know about it.

#18 ·
One nice feature I like is that you can leave the car running, leave with the key fob and lock the car. Other manufacturers like Mercedes won't allow the car to be locked by the key fob from the outside with the car running. You can most definitey drive the car without the key fob, but a warning light will show on the dash that no key is detected so you don't accidentally drive off without the key.

#21 ·
As has already been said... If they want it, they'll take it. I had a car stolen while the head was off the engine, and it was boxed in with 2 other cars. The only reason to upgrade from the factory alarm is if you want to add features like tilt, radar, glass, etc sensors, or anything like that.

For what it's worth... I'd be very careful about letting Best Buy work on my car. Some stores have great installers, some have terrible. Most are a mix of the 2. Oh, and I hope that manager knows something I don't know, because when I was at Best Buy, using your discount for friends was grounds for immediate termination.

-Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.