Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Can't Believe How Awesome the GT-R is Stock

6K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  Mid-Life Crisis 
#1 ·
I'm on my second GT-R, which I've owned for a year now (first one was an '09 ordered directly from the factory), and have not modified it at all, except for cosmetic enhancements. I usually drive my GT-R a couple of days a week, and still continue to be amazed at how fast and quick it is. Someone said it best on here not long ago, something to the effect of, "When I see the road in front of me in my GT-R, I feel like I own that road". So true! There are darned few other vehicles out there that can compare with the GT-R in acceleration, handling, and speed. I know a lot of GT-R owners mod their vehicles, and I did the same with my '09. But just stock, my '14 is plenty fast enough on the road. Plenty fast enough to put 99.9% of other cars in my rear view, but get me in trouble just as fast! Perhaps after my factory warranty expires I'll think of going FBO's again, but for now, I'm completely satisfied with my GT-R's performance.

#3 ·
I loved my 12' stock too..till i went FBO with llighter wheels/tires. Car should have been FBO from the factory!

#12 ·
Damn..... Nice ...

#7 ·
I also enjoyed my car for over a year stock. It's a great stock car, I just wanted the car to sound better and get a bit more speed also. (Coming from motorcycles)

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

#9 ·
I'm stock besides the midpipe and it is nice knowing that it's one of the fastest cars on the road.

In prior cars when I've come up on others on the highway a showdown occasionally ensued. When cars approach this one I rarely bite as I simply don't feel the need to take a risk just to prove something.

#16 ·
Very true on the, "showdown". You/we certainly have nothing to prove, but for the many in most other cars, just racing a GT-R is worthy of many bragging points long afterward with friends, fellow enthusiasts, and co-workers. And sure, like a lot of fishing stories, things get exaggerated ("Man, I was hanging with him, but we ran into traffic!"). I've had plenty of kids in some monstrosities with coffee can exhausts, fake badges, ridiculous wings, doo-dads, etc., come up on my bumper, ride alongside and goose the throttle, then do the ricer flyby. I'm sure some of them even went home and told their girlfriends, "Yeah, I beat a GT-R today", lol. It intimidates a lot of other drivers. I was coming home the other day and with my back road being windy, I was flying through the curves when I came up on a Mustang GT. I kept my distance so that the driver didn't think I was tailgating him, still, after he say me coming up on him fast and then hang back, put it into neutral and rev the engine VERY loudly.

#13 ·
Surprised how many people keep these cars stock, especially referencing the other "stock vs modded" thread. Really cool. I've got a Cobb 2.75" intake and a midpipe and the car is plenty fast for me. I want a tune SO BAD but I want my warranty more.

#14 ·
I'm on my 2nd GTR too. First was 2012 stock, and now black edition 2014 lightly modded. i feel the same, so fast it is awesome.

#18 ·
Just remember that the GT-R is AWD, too, and also has a snow setting. My first GT-R was used as a DD and with dedicated snow tires I actually drove it in the snow. Not huge accumulations, mind you, but a few inches. You can also check out videos on You Tube, showing how the GT-R performs in the snow. Having said that, I doubt any AWD vehicle with snow tires is going to race very well in the snow, but I'm sure it would be fun spinning out (and hopefully not wrecking).

#19 ·
I think I've had a few guys in "civilian" cars TRY to run me, but those events haven't lasted long, and were over before they began. Ha ha... I mean if I ever decide to run it just a little bit,coming off a red light, then by the time I make sure the nose is still pointed in the intended direction and then glance back in my rearview, it looks like everybody is still back there sitting on the line! :)

I am still bone stock, so I can only imagine this thing with some of the more common "go fast" mods on it!

#20 ·
I don't like to pull away from a light like that, because you have a group of cars that are all seeing what you're doing. And one of the cars in the pack could be a law enforcement officer. I like to get a bit ahead but not so FAST at first, but just enough to let the wannabe keep up, and then once generally out of sight of other cars, then step on it. Pretty embarrassing after that, and the other car usually takes a convenient exit. However, I have had some determined individuals pedal furiously to keep up, and sometimes they do catch up if traffic dictates.

#22 ·
I am also on my 2nd. I bought my first one in 2011 and it was stock. I only had it for about a month though but my plans were definitely to keep it stock.

Yup, stock, and for the price range, not a whole lot out there that can touch a GT-R.

I have owned 102 cars...my alpha is definitely top 10.

#23 ·
What's the other nine, may I ask?
I always highly value the opinion on "which car?" of those who have driven many cars over those who goes ecstatic for their new inline-4 Mustang (with fake engine noise!) because the only other cars they have driven is a Civic. Now among those who have driven many cars, with a count of 102, you are certainly on top of the game.

#28 ·
I paid $400 for that '64 Rambler, when I was a 20-year old airman, stationed on Clark Air Base in the Philippines. That vehicle had a lot of little problems, nothing ever major, though, except the drive shaft shearing off once when I put the vehicle in reverse to back out of a parking spot. But it got me around where I needed to go, and I took very good care of it. It was also my very first car.

#26 ·
I'm in the same boat as the OP (but with a few more mods). I even bought everything to go FBO already, but will hang back to actually do it as I'm very happy with my warranty intact for now.

I've driven mine about 5200 miles since January, and just love it as a daily driver!

#29 ·
Saw your other post in "super r mode" - thinking about tune now? If you love the GT-R stock, you'll be blown away with a good custom tune on Cobb or EcuTek! Don't quote me, but I believe EcuTek is the one you want if you are looking for transparency when taking the car to the dealer - with Cobb I believe you have to reflash back to an OEM map. Others can chime in with better info.

#33 ·
Yeah, thinking about it, but do NOT want to change any of the parts in the vehicle, so not bolt ons for now. I contacted a vendor for an ECUTek tune, and was quoted $1695, and was told it would gain me approximately 50whp over stock.

#32 ·
Pulled up to check in at my local car wash yesterday (the BEST car wash I've ever been to, bar none), and this young guy was sitting behind the order machine, checking out his cell phone. After waiting about 10-15 seconds and not seeing any movement from him, I pulled my GT-R up a bit further to where I could see him better, then called over to him and asked him if I could trouble him to process me through for a wash. He apologized and said he didn't really hear my car. Now, shame on him for being so zoned out on his stupid cell phone that he didn't notice a customer who had pulled up (I was the only one in line), but I did take note of his comment about hearing my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.