Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2013-nissan-gt-r-priced-from-97820-we-chart-godzilla%e2%80%99s-price-power-and-performance-over-the-years/?utm_source=pulsenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+caranddriver%2Fblog+%28Car+and+Driver%29

Great article. I find it interesting on the price escalation, my tuned 2010 on LC2 still beats the 2013 to 60 and to 100 (2.8 and 6.5 respectively) with a safe Switzer tune and the quarter at 10.7. Granted I have a built bullet proof tranny from Shep (1st gear etc), but it really talks to the value the older models were, particularly when you consider what the tuner community does. I can't wait for Cobb to perfect LC4 on the 2010's. I am expecting a 10.3-10.4 quarter based solely on the experience of the 60' times for the 09's and 11's that have it working.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Granted, those of us with modded cars have better performance --but the cost is a voided powertrain warranty. Being I'm a modoholic, the choice was easy for me... AND, I still have $ to burn to equal a '12+ car's cost.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Then yen has been going up a lot vs us currency. Some 30+% more from what I hear. This plus the additional costs of upgrades on a car that should have been 100k to start with. Causes the price hike.
If nissan is profiting more so be it. The car should be in a higher class than a 70k car. ... It needs to be positioned in a higher class for its Performance. Not only that but if they do make more money it will go into future versions of r35 and r36 which nissan has lots of plans for but are keeping secret as of right now.

Seriously people are going to have to understand the whole picture than whatever they want to think. The other thread about the cost on the front page shows a lot of these arguments for the price increase. A lot of people just injecting opinion based solely on performance numbers and nothing more. If you don't like price what's wrong with buying used older version?

Have pride in the brand/car. I don't think mizuno is going to try and rape its customers.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's a pretty substantial hike for 2013, but I'm of the belief that Nissan intentionally underpriced it in the beginning, and had planned to ramp it up over time. I also think dealer pressure, warranty costs, and continuously reading in the press that the car was a bargain were factors.

I'm happy the prices are going up...that increases or stabilizes the value of our cars.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's a pretty substantial hike for 2013, but I'm of the belief that Nissan intentionally underpriced it in the beginning, and had planned to ramp it up over time. I also think dealer pressure, warranty costs, and continuously reading in the press that the car was a bargain were factors.

I'm happy the prices are going up...that increases or stabilizes the value of our cars.
I agree, seems like it's been one big pricing experiment for Nissan from the beginning. Hard to believe just a few short years ago we were buying these cars for 71k. 2009 owners really lucked out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's pretty funny in this consumer country that people are actually saying they are glad that the price went up, the thing that is awesome about our GTRs is that they come from Skyline GTRs the cars that were much cheaper than their european counterparts yet could whoop on them. Not paying alot is what makes the GTR so awesome and gives normal people a much higher chance of ownership. If you want an expensive japanese car, go buy an lfa.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I think Nissan saw how much people were paying over sticker. Between the high Yen and the over sticker prices caused the new MSRP.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
http://blog.caranddr...r+and+Driver%29

Great article. I find it interesting on the price escalation, my tuned 2010 on LC2 still beats the 2013 to 60 and to 100 (2.8 and 6.5 respectively) with a safe Switzer tune and the quarter at 10.7. Granted I have a built bullet proof tranny from Shep (1st gear etc), but it really talks to the value the older models were, particularly when you consider what the tuner community does. I can't wait for Cobb to perfect LC4 on the 2010's. I am expecting a 10.3-10.4 quarter based solely on the experience of the 60' times for the 09's and 11's that have it working.
I believe these figures (performance) are based off of C&D's independent testing. Nissan claims 0-60 in 2.72 and 1/4 is 10.8. Regardless of what the real world performance actually is you have to keep in mind that you get that type of performance with a factory warranty, where with your 2010, sure it performs better, but it is no longer under warranty. For some they rather have peace of mind of knowing they are covered if anything should happen. So the added cost is worth it to them. For those who plan to modify the car and likely go away from the factory warranty, the earlier years are a much better buy. Just my 2 cents.

·
R36 Member
6,049 Posts
I believe these figures (performance) are based off of C&D's independent testing. Nissan claims 0-60 in 2.72 and 1/4 is 10.8. Regardless of what the real world performance actually is you have to keep in mind that you get that type of performance with a factory warranty, where with your 2010, sure it performs better, but it is no longer under warranty. For some they rather have peace of mind of knowing they are covered if anything should happen. So the added cost is worth it to them. For those who plan to modify the car and likely go away from the factory warranty, the earlier years are a much better buy. Just my 2 cents.
do you happen to know how much it takes to match the chassic/aero improvements of the new MY stock improvements?

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
do you happen to know how much it takes to match the chassic/aero improvements of the new MY stock improvements?
Are you comparing the 2012 to the 2013? If so then I honestly can't imagine there are any significant aero improvements unless you're talking about the Black Edition.

If you're comparing the 09-11 to the 12-13 then the costs to upgrade the chassis/aero would be extremely expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.