Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a car dealer is telling me the following:

"This car will not depreciate and you can drive and have fun with it for a couple of years and still get close to what you buy it for. There are plenty of 2009 out there for lower price because no one want the 2009. 2010 and above are very hard to come by because the car computer have been updated. ."

There any truth at all to what this car dealer said?

·
Founder/Admin
26,479 Posts
i will give them the benift of the doubt and say they are talking about the transmission control module when they mean cars computer and they are talking about its update to the launch control 2...but that is only a half truth 09s could be updated aswell for free and all unsold 09s had to be updated.....

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Is it me or are 2011s the least common?

I have heard that a bunch of GTRs were wiped out when the Tsunami hit Japan in March of 2011.

·
Founder/Admin
26,479 Posts
Is it me or are 2011s the least common?

I have heard that a bunch of GTRs were wiped out when the Tsunami hit Japan in March of 2011.
there were only like 315 or so 2011's the reason is...nothing against the car itself at all but it was a hold over year while they were developing the 2012..they only brought enough into the country to carry dealer inventory through until the 12 was launched...

yes alot of 2012 black editions were lost last march

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If they had been talking about the 2011 compared to 2009/10, then they could have been referring to the newer NAV unit/Screen. With the 2011 they introduced the newer screen/NAV unit; which is higher resolution screen, DVD player, Bluetooth, USB etc, but if it is 2010 vs 2009 then other than what MC said I cant understand what they are going on about..

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will give them the benift of the doubt and say they are talking about the transmission control module when they mean cars computer and they are talking about its update to the launch control 2...but that is only a half truth 09s could be updated aswell for free and all unsold 09s had to be updated.....
Thats what I figured.....emailed them back asking for a more in depth explanation.....as the 2009's being undesirable was news to me. Thought they were the best since they technically didn't have any of the exclusions on the warranties.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they had been talking about the 2011 compared to 2009/10, then they could have been referring to the newer NAV unit/Screen. With the 2011 they introduced the newer screen/NAV unit; which is higher resolution screen, DVD player, Bluetooth, USB etc, but if it is 2010 vs 2009 then other than what MC said I cant understand what they are going on about..
We'll see I asked him to explain......I gotta say though.....I've run into more scumbag dealers so far trying to find a decent used GTR than any other car in my life.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Pssst... Dont listen to your dealer! they will say anything to sell u what they want. the 2009s were updated with lc2 unless the owner opted out and they might still be able to upgrade them to lc2 via dealer but I dunno for sure. Ecutek can upgrade any year to the latest software and cobbs got beta software thats workin too. That would be LC4 thats on the 2012s. Ecutek already got lc5 demo from the 13 already and Cobbs got the roms too. Aftermarket ftw lol. If you want launch control but dont want to use aftermarket tune stay away from LC3 can someone correct me if im wrong?

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
there were only like 315 or so 2011's the reason is...nothing against the car itself at all but it was a hold over year while they were developing the 2012..they only brought enough into the country to carry dealer inventory through until the 12 was launched...

yes alot of 2012 black editions were lost last march
Interesting. I googled it and really couldn't find that much info on the Tsunami loss.

Thanks for chiming in with that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pssst... Dont listen to your dealer! they will say anything to sell u what they want. the 2009s were updated with lc2 unless the owner opted out and they might still be able to upgrade them to lc2 via dealer but I dunno for sure. Ecutek can upgrade any year to the latest software and cobbs got beta software thats workin too. That would be LC4 thats on the 2012s. Ecutek already got lc5 demo from the 13 already and Cobbs got the roms too. Aftermarket ftw lol. If you want launch control but dont want to use aftermarket tune stay away from LC3 can someone correct me if im wrong?
I'll be honest...I could care less about launch control. My goal is to have a fun daily driver that I can track when Road Atlanta has open track days. I realize that more than likely I'm going to need to mod the tranny in some fashion which brings about trying to get in at the lowest cost point I can.....which damn Nissan and their price raises isn't helping on the used market.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And his reply:

"I'm talking about the software update for launch control. That way even if someone were to launch the car the transmission would not goes out. That's the reason why no one want to buy the 2009."

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
When we talk about LC# it also means the type of launch control used and the software that controls the Trans. So you will see in the LC4 threads that it drives so much better and shifts are faster and better low speed driving etc. they say its even better in lc5. I guess saying it like that is confusing because of its dual meaning. I kinda wish we used the soffware name instead but its harder to remember all that I guess ;)

And like I said 2009 owners got the option to upgrade to the LC2 software unless they opted out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When we talk about LC# it also means the type of launch control used and the software that controls the Trans. So you will see in the LC4 threads that it drives so much better and shifts are faster and better low speed driving etc. they say its even better in lc5. I guess saying it like that is confusing because of its dual meaning. I kinda wish we used the soffware name instead but its harder to remember all that I guess ;)

And like I said 2009 owners got the option to upgrade to the LC2 software unless they opted out.
With that that in mind....can the 09's be safely updated to LC4 yet?

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Ecutek should be able to. As for Cobb You will have to ask Cobb cause they might still be in beta and dunno what they got working 100% or not.

getting an older car you get less warranty. Something to think about too. Im not sure if there are any warranty issues when upgrading this software. I would assume there wouldnt be much issue tho. Just saying I dunno what to expect if its done.

Btw take what I say with a grain of salt. Always follow up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya the warranty thing is on my mind. I wish I could have a 2011/12.....I just can't bring myself to spend the money on a 2013 yet. I really wish Nissan had kept the 2012 pricing....

·
Registered
187 Posts
I know of dealer where a good friend of mine works that just got a 2010 w/12k miles asking ~$69k. Red. If you are interested let me know I will PM you his info. He can arrange shipping as well and very easy to deal with. I purchased my GTR and Viper from him.

·
Registered
290 Posts

·
2010 Super Silver
584 Posts
Yeah, I think the dealer's statement is a bit ambiguous. The 2009 models originally came with LC1, which Nissan deemed could cause transmission damage as it launched the engine at around 3500-4000 rpms. After the class action lawsuit, 2009 model owners could have LC1 flashed for LC2, which toned down launched engine speed (to around 2500-3000 rpms). Once this was done, their warranty was reinstated if it had been voided. If you bought a 2010 model, they already came from the factory with LC2. Buying a 2010 "guarantees" that the original owner never launched the car under LC1 conditions, that is, assuming the ECU wasn't modified via Cobb A/P. To me, there's a little value added in that fact. As a potential used car buyer, you have to perform your due diligence in determining the history of the vehicle as best you can. The particular unit that you're looking at may very well have been flashed to LC2 before it was ever sold. That would negate the perceived bias the dealer is talking about.

MC, correct me if I've misstated anything...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.