Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Steert car take over and as doing the drag test and tune for tomorrows main event. On the first pass launched car took off then when hit second it was almost like it hit the rev limiter and was stumbling all over the place and did not want to shift. I left off then floored it again and it was like no power. Car threw no lights no limp modes that was shown.

Let the car cool and did a transmission relearn. Then took it to back to the line. This time i did not launch just rolled out then floored it and again car felt very under powered. Kinda jerky and the one shift it did was very hard. It was like the rpm gague was in slow mo. I let off about 90. Attached is that log. I did not do any more pulls as i did not want to damage the car.

Car runs and drives fine under normal dirive conditions. WOT is the issue. Last week when i went to the drag strip I was only trapping 129 I usually trap 133-134. The DA was like 3300 so i dismissed it. That same night last week i was also trying to slow the car down so i adjusted the boost down (ecutek) made about 4 passes on the lower boost then left. That was the first time i had ever turned the boost down.

When i went out today the boost was for sure all the way back up. First time in a very long time i did not make it down the track. Old girl has 350+ pass now so i am not even made at her
Hopefully something simple.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Pumps or post filter

·
Registered
212 Posts
You're lucky the motor didn't blow, 16.8 AFR full throttle @ 6300 RPM. I would guess pump failure.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i mainly run e85. I acutally just ran a tank of 93 thur it with a injector cleaner. I typically do that about every 5 tanks of e85. Glad i made the right call and kept it off the track and stopped messing with it. I took it easy on the way home never got over about 3000 rpm. I assume its the secondary fuel pump that went out being thats the one that kicks in at WOT. I run the Asnu drop-in 330L E85 pump. It still have the factory socks on them and the car has almost 20k on it now. I know you cannot buy socks that go on them without the complete assembly but if i recall thier is a diy for them which i will dig up. Thanks for the super fast help will order in some more pumps from Ben

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
i mainly run e85. I acutally just ran a tank of 93 thur it with a injector cleaner. I typically do that about every 5 tanks of e85. Glad i made the right call and kept it off the track and stopped messing with it. I took it easy on the way home never got over about 3000 rpm. I assume its the secondary fuel pump that went out being thats the one that kicks in at WOT. I run the Asnu drop-in 330L E85 pump. It still have the factory socks on them and the car has almost 20k on it now. I know you cannot buy socks that go on them without the complete assembly but if i recall thier is a diy for them which i will dig up. Thanks for the super fast help will order in some more pumps from Ben
Have a look at the hardwire kit as well. John Visconti makes it. Ben sells it too I think.

Alternatively the fore innovations double pump with a separate filter is a great long term option. Works with nice beefy walbros if you don't feel like modifying the stock basket.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Hmm that fore innovations setup seems nice, not too expensive. I dont understand their site tho, what do i need?

http://www.foreinnovations.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=34-800

Feed/return fitting? Do i need new fuel lines?

Electrical upgrade? Do i need to buy that from them or can i run for example Viscontis hardwire kit with this?
If you stick with stock basket then give visconti a shout for the hardwire kit.

If you want to go with the fore setup give Tim at kaizen a shout. He will let you know what you need.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is their anyway to test the pumps? Can i simply hook power to them and see if they spin? I am voting more on clogged prefilter then pump but don't really want to pull this twice.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes it is still powered off the harness, Do you mind explaining where to do that?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Isn't there a fail safe trip from ecutek for such issues?

Why I see some says that he is lucky didn't blow his engine?

I think ecutek shall have some trip for pump failure.

Is there a topic that explains the difference between upgrading pumps and the use of hardwire?

Sent from my SM-G900F using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Isn't there a fail safe trip from ecutek for such issues?

Why I see some says that he is lucky didn't blow his engine?

I think ecutek shall have some trip for pump failure.

Is there a topic that explains the difference between upgrading pumps and the use of hardwire?

Pretty sure you need fuel pressure sensor in order to get the fuel pump failure safety to work with ecutek

·
Registered
645 Posts
Pretty sure you need fuel pressure sensor in order to get the fuel pump failure safety to work with ecutek
Isn't there a pressure gauge showing pressure of fuel on the mfd screen? Is this enough to give a good feedback for the condition of both fuel pumps where ecutek can use it for fail safe tuning?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Isn't there a pressure gauge showing pressure of fuel on the mfd screen? Is this enough to give a good feedback for the condition of both fuel pumps where ecutek can use it for fail safe tuning?

I'm not certain but I don't believe that's actual fuel rail pressure.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The car itself did not go into limp mode but it most diffidently protected itself. The car stopped pulling and the rpm were in slow motion, if you don't let off at that point then you are asking for trouble. Any other car i owned that went lean like that would pull extremely hard because its lean then boom, the GTR did just the opposite. I am not upset at all with the tune or ecutek, i feel it did its job.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i'm glad your car is ok but i really don't agree that it protected itself. here is the graph from your log - the entire time you were at F/T until it shut down, you were running at 16.x AFR. With all the potential pump and filtration issues that are possible with running E85, i feel like a fuel pressure sensor is basically a requirement. This could have been shut down right at the start, when it would have been apparent that the fuel pressure had dropped off. Considering this can be done for just a few hundred dollars, there is no reason not to have one IMO.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Changed the pumps + did the DIY prefilters. The AFR is better but still high. Possibly the o-ring on the pumps? I have looked all over the place is thier a part number for those? Any other ideas that it could be? Makes me want to go bigger turbos and just run 93 lol. Why do i have a feeling I am going to be a master at pulling this pump out when all is said and done :/

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also on the DIY i had to cut the little plastic insert a bit shorter becusae it was too long for the filter. Seems the 2013 have a bit longer prefilter ;) But that should not have made a differnece.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts