Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for the info. Would you suggest seafoam?
Carbon buildup in the combustion chamber like that is entirely normal. Don't bother with Seafoam or anything else like that. If anything you should be concerned if you start seeing a piston top that is perfectly clean as that is usually indicative of a head gasket failure leaking coolant into the cylinder. If you really want to do something about it make sure first and foremost your gasoline has a good amount of PEA detergent in it. Unless you're getting noticeable/significant knock where it shouldn't be happening I would stop there. If you are getting a lot of carbon buildup from burning oil or something similar then consider using a piston soak/top end cleaner or some kind of water injection to help steam clean the piston tops but that is not something I would recommend doing normally.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carbon buildup in the combustion chamber like that is entirely normal. Don't bother with Seafoam or anything else like that. If anything you should be concerned if you start seeing a piston top that is perfectly clean as that is usually indicative of a head gasket failure leaking coolant into the cylinder. If you really want to do something about it make sure first and foremost your gasoline has a good amount of PEA detergent in it. Unless you're getting noticeable/significant knock where it shouldn't be happening I would stop there. If you are getting a lot of carbon buildup from burning oil or something similar then consider using a piston soak/top end cleaner or some kind of water injection to help steam clean the piston tops but that is not something I would recommend doing normally.
thanks for the detailed response. I’ll just open up the throttle more often and call it a day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts