Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
EDIT: changed the topic title since there is so much more information on other carbon ceramic disk brakes below. the original thread was just about rotora but no data was supplied about them yet besides these pictures.

I cant/wont say much about the brand itself. but i do want to post pic's of it. Its unknown anything about the Performance of these brakes or the cost. I could be wrong but it looks like they are marketed towards luxury Exotic rather than racing. if anyone would like to follow up or give more details please do. the other two brands have extensive on track testing and data.

if you want to know more i suggest contacting Password:JDM - i found this link on google of the rotora visiting password:JDM
http://www.facebook....67724741&type=1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Let me know what information you need. We are a distributor for Rotora. I like their products because they manufacture in the USA and I have had great experience with them in the past.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
The rotors and calipers are made in Taiwan, sales, development from conceptual design, development, testing, machining, quality control, distribution, and customer service support are based in Rotora's manufacturing facility in Southern California, USA. just what i was told. maybe its tricky wording, maybe im completly wrong.

Where they are made is not really matter tho.

What kind of pad choices are there? I noticed alcon supply a specific size and doesnt use other standard sizes.
can you run the CC disk with the stock calipers?
Were they tested on the track at all and provide any data or are they just for luxury street car?
What are the temp ranges?
are these TÜV certified?
are they like AP CCM, Alcon CCX, brembo CCM, Mov'it-CER generations, or are they more or less like the ZR1 CC rotors?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
MindlessOath- Would you mind sharing your view on the differences between these CCM rotors? It seems as though you have categorized them into two groups.
They may belong in more than that. The AP and Mov'it's may be more similar to each other, while the Alcons and Brembo's may be in their own. (based on appearance) I cannot categorize yet myself.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Its very hard to look for the information. I'm not classifying anything into groups... But merely stating there are many variant ways they are made. Clearly they are different. I have also seen others but didn't mention them. I tried to link what i could for each different brake solution so you could see the differences yourselfs.

How are the alcon's like the brembo's? I have very little information on the alcon's yet. here is a pdf from alcon http://www.alcon.co....ccx%20broch.pdf
only a little bit of data.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
How are the alcon's like the brembo's? I have very little information on the alcon's yet. here is a pdf from alcon http://www.alcon.co....ccx%20broch.pdf
only a little bit of data.
The Alcon and Brembo's, by visual appearance, don't appear to be a full 3D matrix of carbon ceramic. BY VISUAL APPEARANCE only, They appear to have a surface layer with an interspersed non-friction layer. The ZR'1's are a special ceramic also used on the Ferrari FXX and appear to be the same material through and through, but have a composition that seems different, and based on the care that the GM dealers take when servicing them, must be fragile by comparison to the 3D carbon ceramic matrices.

But, this is all total speculation based on pictures. But, I bet they're ALL different with their own special characteristics.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
I got a little more information on the current offerings since were having a little discussion on the all the products being offered.
The Alcons are nothing like the brembo's/ZR1 brakes.

The Alcons are like the AP's and movits... however the Alcon's are more advanced. Alcon has actually been developing the new design directly with ST/SST so their new kit is the very best ceramic kit on the market. it took Alcon 9 months to get the new design right so the disks would not oxidise on track.

AP racing will also be making a more advanced version than there current offering and it will be release shortly too, they will absorb more heat, and take it away from the face of the rotor. (from what Sean Morris at Stillen says) The first sets should be in the US in the next few weeks. iirc the current AP's could oxidise on track but the new ones should fix any issues if that is the case (going by word of mouth, Can any AP CCM owners comment?).

The problem with the bonded carbon fibre strands used on discs for the ZR1 or Brembo is that they don't disperse the heat as well and you can't machine them if they get damaged by a stone etc. A solid piece of Carbon is much more stable.

Dunno if movit will offer a new revision or not. also dunno what differences there will be between the new AP's and the Alcons. I would like AP to comment on there new product when they officialy launch them.

if you want some Alcon's i know Litchfield in uk offer them and Litchfield are making a front lip which was designed by an aero guy and its going to have brake ducts that will have ducting going to the brake centers.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I got a little more information on the current offerings since were having a little discussion on the all the products being offered.
The Alcons are nothing like the brembo's/ZR1 brakes.

The Alcons are like the AP's and movits... however the Alcon's are more advanced. Alcon has actually been developing the new design directly with ST/SST so their new kit is the very best ceramic kit on the market. it took Alcon 9 months to get the new design right so the disks would not oxidise on track.
I alsmost got the Alcon CCX kit, I guess I might still have time to tell them I want to change my Super Race kit to that. Supposedly only those regular Super kit can get the CCX upgrade, the race kit doesn't have dust duct or something phyiscally not allowing this combo to work. Maybe I will call them again to confirm.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts

AP racing will also be making a more advanced version than there current offering and it will be release shortly too, they will absorb more heat, and take it away from the face of the rotor. (from what Sean Morris at Stillen says) The first sets should be in the US in the next few weeks. iirc the current AP's could oxidise on track but the new ones should fix any issues if that is the case (going by word of mouth, Can any AP CCM owners comment?).
Thanks for the info. Under hard use, the AP's are prone to have a little bit of brake shudder, probably due to changes in the matrix due to the high heat. I cannot say for sure what it is, but it doesn't hurt braking performance, just the smoothness. I think all the current CCM customers have a little bit of brake judder, and one wonders if it might have been due to how much "roll" the discs have had without anti-rattle clips throughout the life of use.

But, I would NEVER EVER EVER trade back to metal. These are SOOOOOO much better.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I alsmost got the Alcon CCX kit, I guess I might still have time to tell them I want to change my Super Race kit to that. Supposedly only those regular Super kit can get the CCX upgrade, the race kit doesn't have dust duct or something phyiscally not allowing this combo to work. Maybe I will call them again to confirm.
if you can get the ccx kit, get it! You will benefit from it. The guys with the AP ccm's love them and the alcons are light years ahead. Also brake cooling should be out in spring iirc.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We will supply Alcon CCX kit at end of March, then will take more detailed pictures.
Last month I had a chance to test CCX kit on a track with Alcon team, and their developed car. I was very impressed, how it works, but to be honest expected much bigger difference compared to Alcon Superkit with RS29 pads, or Racekit. It doesn't mean, that there are no differences, but Alcon made great Superkits, before, and now is hard to make something that would be much better, than kits from their existing offer.
Because kit is very light as each ceramic kit ( Alcon say lighter than competitor kits ) it is nice to convince, what impact has unsprung mass for running GTR

and rotor without bell, that seems be lighter than rotor from Movit kit

What is good news, those who bought normal Superkit, can upgrade Superkit to ceramic kit, as caliper is very similar, and Alcon propose supply just ceramic rotors and pads.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.