Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any aftermarket carbon pieces available that match the 2012's low gloss CF? All I can find are the high-gloss pieces. I'm specifically looking for this center piece, but one that matches the OEM 2012 CF. Thanks.

Attachments

·
ACG Automotive
2,588 Posts
+1

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
RSW do excellent quality carbon overlays. Their 2x2 twill in matte should be a close match to the stock 2012.
Wish I'd ordered my inner gearshift and AC panel in 2x2 gloss because they would have matched the JM Carbon steering wheel I've just bought...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the whole center console from RSW in matte. I can provide pics for you. Getting it to fit correctly however wasn't easy and given how much tape is on that piece, if you make a mistake it isn't coming off. Mine's slightly off line on the passenger side and has lifted slightly at the handbrake surround because of that. For a very expensive ($850) piece, if I were to do it again, I'd just get the 2012 gunmetal center and leave it.

It's worth noting that if you don't have the part that goes over the shifter surround you will have a 2-3mm gap all around the panel which shows the color of the original panel through it very well. This is something I wish I'd known as I'd of made sure to order the other part at the same time.

Edit - Pic below. I'll grab some more in a bit.

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem with the gunmetal center is that it's a scratch-fest waiting to happen. I haven't scratched mine yet, but it's only a matter of time, I think. Hence the reason I want to replace it CF.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree but unfortunately the Titek matte piece is nigh on impossible to get in any timely manner and it doesn't match the OEM weave. You're left with the same option I had, leave it or take the RSW overlay that *does* match the OEM but is expensive for what it is and also awkward to fit correctly! You will need the shifter surround as well if you take the RSW path, so add another $400 onto the total cost.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Give me two weeks and I'll post pics.

I have sent mne away to jmcarbin who laminate the original piece with carbon of your choice. Their steering wheels are incredible, ask mr. Yu.

They are sending my part to Japan where they know the original finish and then sending back to me.

Because its not a cover or a replacement, the fit is perfect and it's actually cheaper than rsw or titek.

I'll put up the photos if you can wait.

If it turns out good, I'll be doing the interior door handles too.

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice. Thanks, Adam.

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roket - where can I get that tape? Exact part number, nomenclature? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
Its 3M Carbon tape.I got it on line .Sorry I don't recall where I got it.Do a search.
Glad you like it .You would be hard pressed to know its not the real deal.Not only that ,the idea behind carbon fiber is strength and lightness. Is that necessary for interior parts?

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
Looks like it might be 3M Di-Noc in black. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Its 3M Carbon tape.I got it on line .Sorry I don't recall where I got it.Do a search.
Glad you like it .You would be hard pressed to know its not the real deal.Not only that ,the idea behind carbon fiber is strength and lightness. Is that necessary for interior parts?
Sorry, each to their own, but anyone familiar with real CF (so particularly a 2012 owner) would immediately know it's not the real deal.
For a start, real carbon fibre (at least the side we see) has a completely smooth finish with the clear coat, not the textured feel of the 3M vinyl.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
Sorry, each to their own, but anyone familiar with real CF (so particularly a 2012 owner) would immediately know it's not the real deal.
For a start, real carbon fibre (at least the side we see) has a completely smooth finish with the clear coat, not the textured feel of the 3M vinyl.
What you say is true.But it still looks great

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly, I'm looking for something primarily for scratch protection. I'll see how the tape looks once it arrives.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I did mine in carbon tape .The look is great. Every one who sees it loves .
agree with others, this looks great. I assume you disassembled the console section, added tape and re-assembled?

wondering what it would cost to buy an extra center section (just gear selector plate) and do this. That way if you don't like or screw up you can alway pop the original back in.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Nordring will be the closest match, as it's the same factory as OEM, but it costs a fortune and is hard to get.

RSW looks like a close match, and is somewhat less expensive than Nordring, but it's an overlay.

I might go the carbon overlay route to save some money. Mine is getting scratched to shit, and shows dust like crazy.

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Vendor
5,237 Posts
We do our carbon conversion on the OEM part and we actually have a complete unit in stock. The weave is a 2x2 twill and matches the OEM interior pretty well.

Here's an interior we did for polivoks's 2012 with several of the parts converted to carbon:

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
We do our carbon conversion on the OEM part and we actually have a complete unit in stock. The weave is a 2x2 twill and matches the OEM interior pretty well.

Here's an interior we did for polivoks's 2012 with several of the parts converted to carbon:
Can you PM me a price list? This will be a longer range project for me, but I want get my price target set. late this year or early next year I'll either take the next step on power upgrades or dump some money in appearance upgrades (CF accent parts and wheels).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts