Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
idk if its just me but I feel like most cars these days are nothing like what they used to be. I was hanging out with some friends and we traded cars for a bit. I got to drive a new f10 M5 and f80 m3. They felt so over assisted and butter smooth that I might as well have been in an S-class. Its nothing like the old e46 m3 or v10 m5. yes they are fast, but the 'sensation' of speed is somewhat lost. along a twisty back road the m5 was quick for a 4300 pound car, but you really have no clue what the front tires are doing until you start to hear screeching.

i'll end my old man rant now lol.

·
Registered
943 Posts
As cars get more quiet/refined and manufacture's strive for more safety they will become more 'numb' to a degree ...

I think there's something wrong when a car is made to be so quiet that they have to inject sound back Into the cabin through the sound system !!!!

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Riding on top of a horse, now that was living.
LOL

Yea, I guess I'm on my own here, I love the computer-assisted turns, traction control, etc. Hell, I think we are the most guilty as GTR drivers. A lot of the M3 drivers trash the GTR because there's no "fun" and the car nearly drives itself. I like that. My bet is that traction control has saved nearly everyone's life on this forum at least once.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I feel the same way about the slow phasing out of manual transmissions to DCTs. I would take a 6MT over a DCT any day if given the choice. I have to commend BMW for still making 6MTs in their cars.

I had both an e60 m5 and e90 m3 both in 6MT and the driving experience was much better than their SMG/DCT counterparts.

Sad to see technology make cars less a drivers car with each new generation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts