Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
hyprpwrphtgrphy.com
2,201 Posts
Searched around, couldn't find a whole lot here. If I missed a thread please let me know, but I was just curious if any people running catless down pipes have had issues with cops. Obviously, if you get on it, it'll send up flags, but as far as visual inspections/ fines/ towed/ etc., I'm curious if anybody could share some insight on past experiences. I've got a T1R mid pipe, keeping the cat back OEM for now and looking to go catless DPs soon. I'm fine with the smell and drone (also looking to Dynamat soon as well), but have concerns about any legal implications. I've had my fair share of tint/ plate fix its, but don't know how extreme we could get if catless is discovered. I'm in the Inland Empire and unfortunately work within a couple miles of City Hall (police station) and CHP, but I know when I need to cool it and cruise.

Side note to this, anybody see a difference in db levels between catless DPs. They're pretty much all the same with the exception of AMS, but want to throw it out there to see if there is a slightly milder DP under 3k RPMs. Don't care about WOT db levels. Looking to get around switching my mid out for an HKS or something a little more resonated if possible.

Hopefully by the lack of outrage on here, that is a good sign that cops are a little baffled by the rarity of the car (or the DPs are stuffed in there good enough to mask a mirror check) and the fact that it isn't a Honda.

Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
Searched around, couldn't find a whole lot here. If I missed a thread please let me know, but I was just curious if any people running catless down pipes have had issues with cops. Obviously, if you get on it, it'll send up flags, but as far as visual inspections/ fines/ towed/ etc., I'm curious if anybody could share some insight on past experiences. I've got a T1R mid pipe, keeping the cat back OEM for now and looking to go catless DPs soon. I'm fine with the smell and drone (also looking to Dynamat soon as well), but have concerns about any legal implications. I've had my fair share of tint/ plate fix its, but don't know how extreme we could get if catless is discovered. I'm in the Inland Empire and unfortunately work within a couple miles of City Hall (police station) and CHP, but I know when I need to cool it and cruise.

Side note to this, anybody see a difference in db levels between catless DPs. They're pretty much all the same with the exception of AMS, but want to throw it out there to see if there is a slightly milder DP under 3k RPMs. Don't care about WOT db levels. Looking to get around switching my mid out for an HKS or something a little more resonated if possible.

Hopefully by the lack of outrage on here, that is a good sign that cops are a little baffled by the rarity of the car (or the DPs are stuffed in there good enough to mask a mirror check) and the fact that it isn't a Honda.

Thanks
If you want to be on the safe side of things then get catless downpipes and a COBB catted midpipe... Best of both worlds

·
hyprpwrphtgrphy.com
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah think I jumped the gun on the mid pipe. Still would like catless for some flame pop/ smoke on people tail gating. My hillbilly way of having some 007 features ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
I went AMS catless for about a year, no issues with law enforcement. Even had a couple of instances of motorcycle officers tailing my car and not pulling me over. If anything they would be the ones most likely to pull you over because they'd smell it.

Currently running a Cobb catted mid because I got sick of that catless smell.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm catless and completely straight through, been fine up until a few weeks ago when I ran across the wrong cop. Said my car was too loud, fix it ticket for exhaust/tint/front plate. Cop was a complete dick as I wasn't even on it, I was slowing down at an exit and not even down shifting. I've been pulled over at least 5-6 times being catless and had 2 cops warn me about the exhaust, but were cool and more curious about the GTR.

All in all no regrets. YMMV, I think it's safe but it depends on how you drive.

·
hyprpwrphtgrphy.com
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good feedback. I'm an "efficient" street driver with the occasional, on ramp/ back road outbursts. I had 4 fix it (tint/ plate) tickets in about a years time between '10/'11 on my black G37 so I know that process. Did you get the payoff fine yet in the mail? Think for tint and plates, it was $288 to pay it off. I'd imagine you can probably add another $150 for the exhaust payoff or swap the DPs back on and get it signed off. Wonder if CHP even gets out of the office (just looked out the window for all of my fix its... GRRRRR), what they'd check exactly. Not like the car has more than 6 inches of ground clearance anyway so they'd probably just do a sound check.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
360 Posts
AFAIK in cali it's even illegal to replace your cats unless they are defective so even running an aftermarket catted pipe is technically illegal. That and even if you did they'd have to have a CARB number which I doubt any GTR downpipes or midpipes do so if the cop really wanted to be an ass they could. I ran catless for years on my ISF but I have az plates

·
hyprpwrphtgrphy.com
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking of going with Titek or AMS for the cast section in hopes it reduces a bit of noise from the smooth transition. Now have to find for a solid price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.