Nissan GT-R Forum banner

CEL and mid pipe

7K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  Zero2Sixty 
#1 ·
I called Cobb tuning today about CEL's and 2012 GT-R's and was told they are getting complaints of CEL on just mid pipe. No issues on ealier models, just the 2012's. I was told there would be a good chance( at least 50%) of a CEL with just a mid pipe and I would need a tune or relocate the O2. I know a few 2012 owners on this forum had some issues with just a mid pipe . What is it about the 2012 's ? I was all set to do just a mid pipe( for sound) as I do not want any warranty issues, but now I do not know what to do.

#5 ·
Let me guess, Stillen mid pipe ? Good luck and enjoy. I am just going by what I was told by Cobb.

#9 ·
The way it was explained to me was, removing the secondary cats increase in flow throughout the system occurs. More gases pass through the O2 and you get a CEL on the 2012's is a 50% chance of CEL . Again this is what I was told by Cobb on the phone. I wish it were not true as I want to wake up the sound of thr GT-R.

#7 ·
If somone wants to call Cobb tuning and ask more questions please feel free. I would like a definite answer on the CEL issue with only a mid pipe.

#16 ·
Yeah, I started the poll. My car is a real 2010 not the NA 2010.

Nissan sya that they will not investigate further unless I remove the midpipe and then get the cel again. The error is related to o2 sensor on rhs engine bank.

#17 ·
Yours is a good indication of someone pointing a finger everywhere but themselves. Its easier to say "not my problem", than actually investigate it.

If the car were in front of me, I could figure it out, and fix it, midpipe or not. However if what they want is to pull the pipe, I would take the 6 bolts off, put the old pipe back in, and then take the car in for them to fix.

Do you know the exact trouble code?

The front side sensors are called A/F sensors, and the rear sensors are called Heated Oxygen sensors.

An 02 sensor failing, is not coming totally out of the ordinary. Parts, electronic parts, and electronic parts that see 1000F fail.

White Product Font Rectangle Line

Attachments

#18 ·
Sean, problem is that my car "lives" 600klm from the dealer and code comes up infrequently ie. since last cleared, the car has done 700 klm and been used for 10 days untill it came up again yesterday.

Whats he deal with the gas cap loose & cel?

Car is going to Adelaide (where dealer is) over Xmas. Will prob pull pipe then.

#19 ·
Here in the states you can go to any little auto parts store, and they will bring an OBD II scanner out to the car and read/clear codes for you, normally for free.

There is actually a way to read and clear it without a scan tool, but you have to be a little deft in the foot.

http://www.2009gtr.com/2009/12/how-to-read-and-clear-codes-without.html

Gas cap and Evap system are related to the emissions control system. When fuel is heated it gives off vapors. Due to emissions regulations, these vapors are not allowed to be released to the atmosphere. They are collected by the charcoal canister, and eventually burned in the engine. In order to make sure the system is sealed, there are measures to detect leaks. If the system detects a leak, then you will see a CEL light . Without a scanner, without reading the code, you aren't going to know what the actual code is. Something as simple as the gas cap being loose can throw a CEL. It has been though, a common issue to have some EVAP system failures in GT-R's. The early cars did, but some later cars have also had issues.

The car is telling you what is wrong, talk to it, and you can fix it.

#20 ·
What is cell? Check engine light?

#26 ·
I called Cobb tuning today about CEL's and 2012 GT-R's and was told they are getting complaints of CEL on just mid pipe. No issues on ealier models, just the 2012's. I was told there would be a good chance( at least 50%) of a CEL with just a mid pipe and I would need a tune or relocate the O2.
It seems like the information you got, might have got crossed up by someone. I have been asking around, and checking with Cobb. Joe knows these cars and codes as good as anyone, and he says the only time he has seen one, is if the 02 sensor was damaged during install.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?/topic/63305-cel-and-mid-pipe/page__view__findpost__p__792574

I think you will find, that a midpipe does not cause a code, but if there are an odd set of coincidences, a car might have a CEL, unrelated to the midpipe, but the blame may be placed on it for no reason other than someone not wanting to do their job correctly.

#28 ·
It seems like the information you got, might have got crossed up by someone. I have been asking around, and checking with Cobb. Joe knows these cars and codes as good as anyone, and he says the only time he has seen one, is if the 02 sensor was damaged during install.

http://www.nagtroc.o...post__p__792574

I think you will find, that a midpipe does not cause a code, but if there are an odd set of coincidences, a car might have a CEL, unrelated to the midpipe, but the blame may be placed on it for no reason other than someone not wanting to do their job correctly.
I spoke to one of the local shops by me. On deceleration o2 getting forced back into the system could cause the code to appear. If the secondary cats were in place they would not allow the o2 back up to the sensors during deceleration. Those that are having CEL issues, how is your driving style ? Alot of deceleration ? BTW Sean and news for a black Friday sale yet ?

#42 ·
zero2sixty....go ahead and get your midpipe... i had an autoX today and did 8 runs full out driving as hard as i could.. launching it off the line every time... hard braking tail end kicking out and all that good stuff..... it aint gonna throw a light trust me....the other cases have to be unrelated i promise you

#43 ·
Done. I have the Cobb NON-catted being delivered this week. Now the next question do I go ahead an order the HKS Legamax or leave the stock cat back on ? I understand the OEM cat back flows pretty good, but I do like an agressive deep tone with minimal drone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.