Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just purchased a 2013 GT-R with 7,000 miles. One dealership told me because fluid is 4 years old, change it. Another dealership said you do not have to. Any advice? Does it breakdown over time?

·
Founder/Admin
26,445 Posts
its definitely mileage because look they recommend 36K mile changes on the GTR and real world a lot of owners of these cars average well under 10K miles year which make 3+ year trans fluid changes common place. it wont ever hurt to change it and I suggest not letting it go to the 36K especially if you put low miles on the car as that could be years and years at that rate. personally I barely put 2K a year on my car but I will probably change the fluid every few years anyway just to be proactive.

in that 2013's case with only 7K miles most any you would find used with under 20K miles even 4 model years old probably havent had a fluid change either. when the GTR came out it was a 18K interval and they changed it to 36K for 2012+ so while the next time you get the oil changed maybe have the transmission changed too ( and dont forget the diffs)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here's my thought process on age vs. mileage. Engine oil get's exposed to moisture in the air and keeps absorbing moisture from the air. The transmission is a completely sealed component which doesn't allow for excess moisture to be introduced to the fluids so the viscosity doesn't get degraded due to moisture and only gets degradation due to wear. That being said mileage in my opinion is the main factor.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Here's my thought process on age vs. mileage. Engine oil get's exposed to moisture in the air and keeps absorbing moisture from the air. The transmission is a completely sealed component which doesn't allow for excess moisture to be introduced to the fluids so the viscosity doesn't get degraded due to moisture and only gets degradation due to wear. That being said mileage in my opinion is the main factor.
You'd be wrong about that. The transmission has a vent on top that allows air (and transmission fluid) in and out. So does the rear diff. I am uncertain of a vent on the front diff, but both tranny and rear diff have them (and they leak if you invert the car - don't ask how we know)

Nissan recommends every 36 months for transmission fluid. I recommend you follow that.

Shawn

·
Registered
200 Posts
You'd be wrong about that. The transmission has a vent on top that allows air (and transmission fluid) in and out. So does the rear diff. I am uncertain of a vent on the front diff, but both tranny and rear diff have them (and they leak if you invert the car - don't ask how we know)

Nissan recommends every 36 months for transmission fluid. I recommend you follow that.

Shawn
You can't expect people not to ask that.... did you manage to flip one over?

·
Registered
48 Posts

Shawn
I was under impression that that was a 1 way valve that only allowed access pressure out of the tranny.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts

Shawn

You can't expect people not to ask that.... did you manage to flip one over?
Not me, but one that was sitting on its roof had tranny fluid and diff fluid running into the trunk.

Shawn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,598 Posts

Shawn

I was under impression that that was a 1 way valve that only allowed access pressure out of the tranny.
I don't think so, although all behavior I have seen would still occur if there were a valve. But for the tranny, it's just a hole on the back and top that I have seen personally.

Shawn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Maybe this has already been covered and I'm too lazy to search :wink: . CBA cars had a service interval for transmission fluid change @ 18k miles. Does this still hold true or has Nissan suggested 36k now for all years?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Maybe this has already been covered and I'm too lazy to search :wink: . CBA cars had a service interval for transmission fluid change @ 18k miles. Does this still hold true or has Nissan suggested 36k now for all years?
Nissan has left the Cba cars with the original recommendation. The original tranny had a lot of failures. But, if used lightly, the oil lasts 36,000 just fine. But don't do it until you are out of warranty.

Shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I had the dealership change the differential and tranny fluids at ~22,000 miles. They said the fluids looked fine!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The only other issue is time and location of car. If you live in Florida or Cal. or any other high humidity area, then time will be a factor.

Because the GTR has a vent for both , humidity can get in . Only a long drive will burn off humidity in this case.

I live in AZ but when I did live in Florida, there was humidity getting into these areas.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I had the dealership change the differential and tranny fluids at ~22,000 miles. They said the fluids looked fine!
did they show you fluid from the front diff ?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

did they show you fluid from the front diff ?
My other question would be if it was the first change or second? I can say the second time I changed the front diff oil it looked fine and didn't need to be changed.

If it was the factory fill front diff oil and "the fluids looked fine" after 22k miles I simply don't believe it. Mine was toast after just 9k miles with no tracking, drag racing, or launches.

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
5,978 Posts
If it was the factory fill front diff oil and "the fluids looked fine" after 22k miles I simply don't believe it. Mine was toast after just 9k miles with no tracking, drag racing, or launches.
I tend to agree, I changed my front and rear a few years back and I'm glad I did.
I'll be doing the trans next, just waiting for the Nissan TSB caps for the actuators to be delivered. Thanks to everyone that's contributed to the DIY instructions.
Should all go well I'm hoping.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.