Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
So they were dismounted and remounted? That can be costly though still cheaper than new OEMs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Get some 18" wheels to race/HPDE with and the tire price goes down.

18,290 Posts
Get some 18" wheels to race/HPDE with and the tire price goes down.
True, but dropping to an 18" will change a few things about the car. Gearing, for one. Also, the ability to cool the brakes will be diminished. Plus, the high initial cost will probably keep a lot of people from doing it.

·
Mod
229 Posts
Both of the tire ( re050a and re070r) have the same utqg rating of 140 A A. from what you wrote it sounds like
the re050a has more tread left with the same amount of punishment on the track.

With the same mind set as you, I started using another alternative the dunlop sport maxx tt 275/35/20 (utqg 240 AA A)
Other than the increase squeal at corners, I found that my track times are very similar to my times on the oem tires 255/285.
I can't tell if I have less tread wear cause I only used about 3000 miles (3 track days so far) on them. But so far it looks like it has alot of meat on it still.I know the front oem tires 255/285 are used up by about 12500 miles with about 40-50% tread left at the rear.

Just a bit more info if any of you guys want to replace ur oem with inexpensive tires. the sport maxx tt is about $220/tire.

I'm also using a set of 18's with 315/35/18 V710 but they are gone in about 3-4 track days.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
If you want to run R compounds and keep tire costs down, just run Nitto NT-01's in 275/40/18 size on some Enkei GTC-01 wheels in 18x10-22mm offset size. Tires can be had for $275 each or so with free shipping. Works great for me, and you can just move the wheels and tires around for wear equalization, and flip them on the rims if you have to, but I haven't found that to be necessary on my car. You can carry all four wheels in the car to the track events. One in each of the 3 seats and one in the trunk, with room for jack and other gear. That way my run-flats last a very long time, work in the rain, and are drivable in case of a puncture.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Some feathering, but LOTS of treadwear left after two FAST days at VIR. I sacrificed some speed, but I was able to keep pace with worn R888's.. I'll keep you guys posted. Two more VIR days coming up quick.

Shawn
I might try this. Already through 2.5 sets of summer Dunlops and it isn't even the primary track car. But my question with regards to a square set-up on stock rims. That means guys are running 285/35 on the stock 9.5 inch rims?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Thanks for trying these out Shawn. My source for used 305/35/18 R888's has dried up because World Challenge is not running the R888 in their series anymore. So I've been looking for an alternative. Thinking about the Nitto NT01, but 275/40/18 is a bit narrow compared with the 305's I'm used to. I might try the 315/30/18 size although that diameter is a bit small.

Side note, I ran a 295/30/18 Hoosier a couple of months ago, which is a very small diameter, and no issues with VDC in R mode. I am a little concerned about the max load on that small a tire, though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Clearly there are some better choices for non-stock 18 or 19 inch wheels. But that aside, I like this idea, particularly the option to rotate front to back once by using non-runflats.

I know how fast I can drive the car with summer dunlops, so giving up a few seconds isn't a big deal since as it isn't being run in a competitive situation. The car is so fast anyways that sometimes I catch myself looking at lap times feeling uncomfortable driving that fast with out proper roll bar & seat. I've resisted the urge to molest the interior of the car and a few seconds isn't a big deal until that inevitably happens.

Thanks for the post, this seems like a good idea and going to try it. Non-runflat is the key.

·
Caretaker of GODZIRA!
2,679 Posts
9.5 front OEM

10.5 rear OEM

I've seen the rears used all the way round with no modifications. The rears stick out a little way when used on the fronts.

If the fronts were used, a spacer and longer studs would work out better for the back, but very likely they could still be used with no modifications, but the rear track would decrease. I could theorize how that would affect the handling, but I'm not sure I'd like the result.

Shawn
Thanks, I may have missed this in this thread, but are you using OEM size rims F&R, but with the same size tire all around?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Tire Rack has Dunlop 255/40-20 Spec 600 (not Max) $421. I was going to a square 285 setup, but this is too good to pass up to replace the worn fronts. Anyone else gone to this tire?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts