Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GT-R Premium, totally stock.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GT-R is a 2013 Premium, totally stock, less than 28,000 miles. It was my daily driver for several years but haven't driven it much the past year or so. It developed a low speed miss and after adding a bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner to the fuel tank I took it to the dealer (8 mile drive) and they replaced a left side injectors and all spark plugs. It ran great all the way home and for about another 3 miles, then the check engine light came on and it was trouble code P0430. Dealer advised that driving it the 8 miles may have damaged the catalytic converter and they may need to replace it. They reset the code and I drove it home 8 miles without any trouble code showing or check engine light.

My questions are (1) How likely is it that the short distance driving overly rich (they said) would have damaged the catalytic converter so much it would need to be replaced?

(2) They also advised that driving it with that code showing and failed cat could cause catastrophic engine damage due to ingesting the failed guts of the cat...he tried to tell me that the cat is so close to the engine that small movements of exhaust flow backward and that could suck cat parts/guts into the engine...How likely is this to happen?

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
589 Posts
So, IIRC some older Nissan V6's in the VQ family (like the maxima and v6 altima) had this issue where oil blowby would eventually foul/clog up the cats, and then chunks of the substrate in the cat would break apart and the scavenging effects of the engine would suck those bits back in and tear up your cylinder walls and rings.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure how the scavenging effect works on the VR38 because it's turbocharged.. the debris has to make their way through the turbos before they get in the engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I personally don't believe it; and the Dealer's opinion is not to be trusted necessarily.

Alexd

·
Registered
2013 GT-R Premium, totally stock.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, IIRC some older Nissan V6's in the VQ family (like the maxima and v6 altima) had this issue where oil blowby would eventually foul/clog up the cats, and then chunks of the substrate in the cat would break apart and the scavenging effects of the engine would suck those bits back in and tear up your cylinder walls and rings.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure how the scavenging effect works on the VR38 because it's turbocharged.. the debris has to make their way through the turbos before they get in the engine.
Thank you ! debris into the turbos would be bad also.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
so you don't think that short distance of driving could permanently damage or destroy the cat ?
Correct...I doubt it very much.

Alexd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts