Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Build threads on this site seem to be a thing of the past but to me, they are some of the most enjoyable to read. So, I decided to make one that chronicles my build in it's first iteration.

I bought my car from the original owner in Summer of 2019, sight unseen. I found it on this forum. It's a 2015 Premium, white on black. It was wrapped satin black when I bought it, with some really nice 20 inch Signature ONE two-piece wheels, Seibon carbon fiber hood and trunk and KW sleeve kit. When I took delivery of it, it was already a FBO setup with some RD Engineering "RDE 800" turbos. The car made around 700whp on E85. Tuned by Ronnie Diaz. It ran flawlessly. I put a couple thousand miles on it over a season and a half. I live near Buffalo, NY so the car only gets driven for 6 months or so per year.

I began reading tons of build threads of GT-R's, R8's and Vipers. I knew I wanted more power, so I started gathering parts and formulating a plan. I wanted to be able to achieve mid-3 second 60-130 and to run an 8 second quarter mile eventually. I started researching shops (WGP, T1, Ivey, Cicio, STM). I'm not broke but I also don't have the kind of disposable income where I could just send the car off to a shop, rack up a $75,000 bill and just hand them my credit card. I hunted the classifieds here, on the Facebook groups and on eBay.

The first major piece I bought was a Shep 1k transmission from the owner of Nexus Auto Brokers. It was already back at Shep's for service. So, I snagged it and had them go through it and add the drag pack minus the oil pan. It also received a clutch refresh and a basket update at the time. I then opted for a Rampage Fabrication RS-2000 intercooler (think ETS super race). Gabe Watson is a really nice guy to deal with. He cut me a really awesome deal on it that I didn't want to pass up. I had it anodized black before he sent it to me. I recommend checking out their stuff if you haven't, the craftsmanship of their products is killer. Then some miscellaneous items like injectors, AMS oil pan and billet flywheel, etc., etc.

I started conversing with Doug Ross of WGP last year about doing my build when tragedy struck. I was just getting to know him when the accident occurred. I cannot say anything that hasn't already been said but I was very sad to hear of Doug's passing. For his family, his child, friends and colleagues. RIP Doug.

Some weeks later I reached out to Nathan at Cicio Motorsports, Sean at Ivey and Stuart at T1.

T1 wouldn't build my car to where I wanted it without adding a Motec standalone ECU. That was an additional cost that I didn't want to incur at the time, so they were not a viable option.

Ivey told me that he wouldn't take on my build because I wasn't using his transmission and that the parts I had stockpiled "aren't very good". Okay then!

Nathan and I had some really good communication right from the start. He handed me off to Jan Buhler who runs their Northern location in Virginia, since it is much closer. I emailed Jan a sh*tload of questions over the next several months. He was incredibly patient, never dismissive or annoyed. He was prompt in is responses and always treated me with respect. That's one of the many reasons I ultimately sent my car to them. I went with a modified version of their "C1300" package listed on their site. I opted for level 2 cylinder heads instead of Level 1, a Sonny Byrant billet crankshaft, a larger intercooler and the full fuel system capable of making more power down the road. I also added their wet sump oiling upgrade. I chose their Elite Prime turbos for their response, capability and track record.

Eventually, this Spring, the time came for me to pull the trigger. I finalized a quote with Jan and arranged for the car to be transported there. Jan was incredible throughout the entire process. Very transparent, never pushy and always patient. Anyone considering a build should talk to Jan. Not only does he talk the talk but he walks the walk. Just see his results from TX2K this year! The whole build took about 8 weeks, door to door. There were some hiccups in there that we can discuss later but the whole team at Cicio North was killer. I can't say enough how well they treated me.

She made 1310whp/1108wtq @ 38psi, with a full exhaust, air filters, etc. on E85. Jan said there is a bit more room but I ran out of injector...and clutch with that much torque. I am on six ID1700's by the way.

I just got the car back yesterday and have only driven it around on wastegate and it's more fun than a boy should have! I will add more to this thread later as developments occur. Just wanted to share with the forum my little journey. Here are some pics...

Tire Plant Sky Wheel Automotive tire
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Machine Engineering
Automotive tire Font Gas Electronic component Machine
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive design Metal
Automotive engine gasket Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,496 Posts
What a build and absolutely amazing read. Can't go wrong with Cicio Performance and both Nathan and Jan and the rest of the crew @ Cicio Performance def know how to build these GT-Rs. Enjoy the beast!

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
Awesome stuff, time to get some seat time and enjoy it. Winter comes too fast around these parts !!!

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
5,691 Posts
Great build... congrats and enjoy it!

Happy Motoring...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a build and absolutely amazing read. Can't go wrong with Cicio Performance and both Nathan and Jan and the rest of the crew @ Cicio Performance def know how to build these GT-Rs. Enjoy the beast!
Thanks man. You helped make it happen!

Awesome stuff, time to get some seat time and enjoy it. Winter comes too fast around these parts !!!
That's the plan. Your experience with Cicio and crew helped cement my decision to use them as well.

Great build... congrats and enjoy it!

Happy Motoring...
Thank you

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice. Did you start with a new block or just use the existing?
To be honest, I am not 100% certain on this. To me, it seems like they have short blocks pre-built to cut down on wait time and they just exchange, assuming your core is reusable. Perhaps if Jan or Nathan sees this, they can comment and set me straight. But I can say that I didn't pay for a new block, that is for sure.

·
Vendor
212 Posts
Thank you for the kind words my friend.

It was a pleasure putting this together for you and love that you are having a blast with the car already.

Just wait till you run the higher maps! :biggrin:

Enjoy it in good health!

·
Vendor
212 Posts
To be honest, I am not 100% certain on this. To me, it seems like they have short blocks pre-built to cut down on wait time and they just exchange, assuming your core is reusable. Perhaps if Jan or Nathan sees this, they can comment and set me straight. But I can say that I didn't pay for a new block, that is for sure.
We usually try to keep short blocks on the shelf to cut down on lead times but it's been tough lately with everything going on in the industry.

We happen to have one on the shelf ready to go in this case.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really appreciate the write up! Its encouraging reading about good experiences. Enjoy the car and looking forward to reading up on more developments ahead.
Thank you! I will be sure to update the thread in the future.

·
Registered
33 Posts
First off congrats on the car, everyone at Cicio is awesome I look Forward to the times I get to spend time with the crew for sure. And your build is literally everything that is happening to my car 😂. Glad you had a awesome experience and enjoy the car I cant wait for mine to be done

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As a small update, I had a bit of a hiccup in the tune. Low rpm/mph drivability. In 2nd gear, manual mode, on the brakes coming to a red light, the car would "buck" a little bit. I logged it, sent it to Jan and Taylor. Had an updated/smoothed out log in less than 24 hours. Really impressive to have a turnaround like that considering all the tuning and revisions Taylor does.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As a small update, I had a bit of a hiccup in the tune. Low rpm/mph drivability. In 2nd gear, manual mode, on the brakes coming to a red light, the car would "buck" a little bit. I logged it, sent it to Jan and Taylor. Had an updated/smoothed out log in less than 24 hours. Really impressive to have a turnaround like that considering all the tuning and revisions Taylor does.
Everyone at Cicio is awesome, anytime i have had a issue i let someone know and usually get a response pretty fast. Taylor is really good about getting back to you when you have a issue and providing a fix as well. Looking forward to getting my car back and hopefully your enjoying your car ~ I literally am going to have your exact setup as well im pretty excited to say the least.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts