Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading several horror stories about cracked/broken GT-R windshields, I have decided to get ClearPlex glass protectant installed tomorrow. Does anyone here have this or something similar on their car(s)? How is it holding up? Any special considerations I need to be aware of?

I have read several times that the glass is thinner than other cars due to weight reduction which of course makes it more prone to road damage. It also doesn't help that a new OEM windshield costs $1,2__ after looking it up on the Nissan parts store. Being that I wouldn't want to deal with that even using insurance I figure I am making the right choice getting it done.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Insurance covers cracked windshields from kicked up rocks

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Insurance covers cracked windshields from kicked up rocks
Yes I know; however, if the crack is too large (bigger than a dollar bill) the windshield will have to be replaced at the owner's expense (pay the insurance deductible). I know some states require insurance companies to cover full windshield replacement costs but unfortunately I'm not in one of them.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My buddy had it on his Panamera for a year. It yellowed. BAD. It also pits faster and looks worse faster than glass.
Hmm that sucks. You would think as expensive the material of this stuff is it wouldn't yellow, that's surprising. Just curious, what causes film to yellow? Sunlight? Dirt?

I understanding how it would look worse faster than glass over time as it is designed to absorb the impact of rocks and other road debris without breaking/cracking the glass. I guess it will last as long as I can stand looking at the "wear" imperfections. I can probably tolerate it as long as it's nothing huge directly in my line of sight.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Let us know how it works out. I looked into Clearplex as well and everyone I talked and from what I read, it creates visual distortions. Some were able to get used it. Others not so much. I do like the concept but my takeaway was that it wasn't an ideal solution. My recollection is it wasn't particularly inexpensive either. What did you pay for the treatment?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far so good! I drove home earlier with it installed and I honestly couldn't tell anything was on the glass! I'm not sure what other people are saying about it being hazy or blurry because I can't see it.

I posted a pic of some solution the installer gave me to apply to it every other month or so. It goes on like applying wax while the surface is cool and clean, let it haze over and sit for 10-15 minutes, and then buff it out with microfiber cloth. It's suppose to help protect/seal it like wax and more importantly make water/rain bead off so that you avoid using your windshield wipers. Dirty windshield wipers is this stuff's worst enemy as it can drag dirt and rock particles agains the film which will scratch and degrade the visibility.

Hand Liquid Drinkware Bottle Fluid

Basically as long as you keep it clean, be careful not to flip on your wipers accidentally (like after cleaning the interior as I have done this already a couple times before the install and will try and train myself to remember to make sure they are turned off before I start the engine), and try to avoid driving in really bad weather (I never do this anyway).

The install costed me 300 which included a military discount (was quoted 400 originally). Oh and the product comes with an 18 month warranty so if the film peels, yellows, or if the windshield breaks with it on they will cover replacing the windshield and reapplication of the product! I personally think it's worth it as the whole point in me getting this stuff is to avoid having to pay for a new windshield. Even using my auto insurance would be expensive as I have a higher deductible to keep the premium down. I figure since I have invested so much in exterior protection (this, ding/wheel factory warranty, and full Xpel wrap) it greatly reduces the chances for me to have to put in a comprehensive claim anyway (keeping fingers crossed).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't let rain sit on it and bake
You mean water spots right? Same principle to not wash car in direct sunlight. Shouldn't be an issue as it's garage kept and in case the off chance it does happen hopefully that applicator solution wax will help protect from that. Only time will tell how this stuff holds up I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts